How does this add-on propane tank work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PastorTravis

My Bounder motorhome has the standard propane tank just as all others do. Also, the previous owner added a propane tank hook up in the rear compartment near the radiator. The line hooks right to a portable tank and has a cut-off valve right there in the line. I am just not sure how it feeds the fuel to the motorhome. I guess it will just draw from the extra tank when the regular tank is empty? I have hooked up the extra tank and checked for leaks today and all is good there. The previous owner did tell me that he had this installed so that he didn't have to move when he ran out of propane. Does anyone else have this set up and if so am I right about how it works?

Most of us use a device (actually a set of adapters) that let us accomplish the same thing.  It's called an extend-A-stay.  It is intended to do exactly as you stated, prevent the need to move when the large tank is low or empty.  It should be entirely safe if no leaks are detected.

If the main tank valve and auxiliary tank valves are both open, propane is drawn from both. The more full tank has a greater pressure, so feeds a a greater share of the total until the pressures equalize. After that, they will be roughly equal in share.

Typically, though, the valve for the main tank is shut off and the feed is from the aux tank only. That preserves the main tank as a reserve, which you can use if you run out of the other, or if you travel and leave the aux tank behind.

Gary RV Roamer said:
If the main tank valve and auxiliary tank valves are both open, propane is drawn from both. The more full tank has a greater pressure, so feeds a a greater share of the total until the pressures equalize. After that, they will be roughly equal in share.

It's mostly about temperature, actually.  Tanks at the same temperature will have the same pressure whether full or nearly empty.  As propane is withdrawn, there is a cooling effect, and propane use ends up being more or less proportional to the surface area of the tank that is in contact with liquid propane, unless one tank is in the wind or sun or something and the other is not.

Back
Top Bottom