1991 Bounder 34 J Ignition Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bounder Al

They only break when you use them, or park them.. Out of the blue, my 91 Bounder, Ford 460 developed a new problem. The coach has a new 12 volt engine battery and two new six volt house batteries. When I turn the ignition key, nothing happens - no dash lights and no engine turn over. IF I press the Aux Battery button the engine will start and the dash guages work fine..  I've checked fuses under the drivers console and on the exterior drivers side engine compartment where the relays are located. All seem to be OK. Once I release the "Aux Batt" button I heard something on the left side engine area that sounds like the relay is chattering.. Anyone have any suggestions?

Check your MAIN electrical system(12v) relay. Follow the clicking noise to find it.
Should be on the right side front under the hood. You should have two relays, one for the house(AUX) and one for the engine(MAIN).
J

Seems everything that is 12 volt inside works fine (IE: Lights & fans).  I will need to get someone to crank her over while I stick my head in the engine area and listen.  Last year I started using my "Main Battery Cut Off Switches" to prevent battery drainage - a friend told me this can cause those relays to mess up. Wonder if this could be the problem?? I doubt it is the ignition switch since it works fine with "Aux Batt" button depressed. Engine battery is new and fully charged. Seems like "Something" is not allowing the ignition switch to use the chasis battery - sounds like a relay huh ??? 

It sounds like your chassis battery disconnect my be confused and/or it is activated when it thinks it is off.  If you know exactly where it is located you can jumper the two large posts together, to see if it changes the symptoms. (allows the rig to start.)

Do you know if you have the RV Custom Products Battery control Box installed under the hood?

Bounder Al said:
Seems everything that is 12 volt inside works fine (IE: Lights & fans).  I will need to get someone to crank her over while I stick my head in the engine area and listen.  Last year I started using my "Main Battery Cut Off Switches" to prevent battery drainage - a friend told me this can cause those relays to mess up. Wonder if this could be the problem?? I doubt it is the ignition switch since it works fine with "Aux Batt" button depressed. Engine battery is new and fully charged. Seems like "Something" is not allowing the ignition switch to use the chasis battery - sounds like a relay huh ???
Click the the MAIN relay 2 or 3 times, sometimes they will stick.
J

"Chassis battery disconnect" is exactly what?  A relay?  I bought the rig used and was not shown toomuch of the electrical system. I did however remove a cover plate in the engine compartment on the drivers side that exposed several heavy duty ooking relays and several other smaller (20 amp) style relays.  The noise I hear (chatteirng) sounds like it's coming from a relay solinoid above the main battery area. I will go back and have some help to track down what exactly is making noise. I'll also try to "click" the relay... Thanks everyone for the advice and support. Not being a mechanic can make these types of failures frustrating..

Here is the relay I suspect making the noise when I release the Aux Batt button.

Attachments

• 100_4343 small.JPG
    100_4343 small.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 31
Checking the relays makes sense but before you replace them I would check the connections on all the cables going to the chassis batteries, especially the ground to the chassis. Have someone hold the start switch engaged while you wiggle al the connections.

Bounder Al said:
Thanks everyone for the advice and support. Not being a mechanic can make these types of failures frustrating..

Get this book and read it. You will become familiar with the various system in a
motorhome. Many of the tools needed for simple jobs can be purchased from Harbor Freight, a tool and supply store.

http://www.amazon.com/RV-Repair-Maintenance-Manual-Expanded/dp/0934798702

http://www.harborfreight.com/
J

Heck for $23.00 how could you go wrong - great advice and tip - thank you....  I will advise on the progress once started - for now, I got assigned Christmas Duties that have priority over RV repairs. Go fiqure..  Thanks again everyone !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom