30 Year Old - Fulltiming Soon - Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am in the process of selling my house and once that is finished I am going to live in a fifth wheel full time.  I plan on purchasing a 1 ton dually as well to pull it.  My real question is which manufacturers offer the best bang for the buck?  Which ones have people had a lot of problems with?  I want one that is longer than 35 ft. and has W/D hookups.  I am leaning towards the Keystone Montana but I am open to any ideas.  I'd like to spend less than $60k and for it to be no more than 2-3 years old.

What does everyone think?

Top brands for full timing are Mobile Suites, Carriage, Excel.  Montana, although some full time with them are more considered upper middle class and do not offer the fit/finish and insulation values found in more high end fivers.  Dually is a good start but you might consider a 1-1/2 ton class truck, F450/4500 series.  That will provide a bit more towing capacity for the full timers.

Add Nuwa (Hitchhiker) to the list.  Also Holiday Rambler Presidential, Teton, and Travel Supreme.

Depending on the size (weight, you may want a larger truck, but most trailers can be handled adequately with an F350/3500 series pick-up with a diesel engine.

Are you planning to live in the 5er while working or travel with it? You can easily spend much more on the toad than the 5er and it could get worn out just running around town.

I cannot comment on brands that I have had no experience. However, I and my wife are now using our third 5th Wheel RV. We have been RVing for over 50 years with a Conquest, a JayCo and now we have a Montana Model 3750. We like it the best of the ones we formerly owned. The previous ones were nice and we enjoyed them but looking back over the years, it is obvious that as time went by the manufacturers learned to improve their products.
We live in Colorado and travel mostly the Western states. It has been many years since we traveled East of Indiana/Ohio, and we probably will not do so again. So from our experience, I cannot think of how we could improve the RV we now have the way we use it. We use our RV year-round, winter and summer and we find it comfortable in all conditiions.
Also, I like that the Montana Design, although larger than our previous RV's, pulls much easier and smoother, has the best floor plan, and is designed for all weather conditions.
If you are considering a Montana, you might call up the Montana Home Web Site to get more details.

Back
Top Bottom