Itasca Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

Does anyone know exactly where I can find out how much weight a new motorhome can carry?  This was brought up on one of the discussions I was reading earlier and it's been bothering me ever since.  We're in the market for a new MH and think the Itasca 40 is the one, but how do we know how much weight it can carry?  We've never been fulltimers, just weekenders...but, are planning on being partial fulltimers come this next March and I think this could be an issue.  Is it only on older and smaller MH's that we need to worry about this?  :p

The yellow OCCC sticker affixed to the inside of your MH will have that information.
OCCC: Occupant & Cargo Carrying Capacity.
Some MH manufacturers will state the CCC weight on their brochures...but then you have to add in add'l options and accessories. If the MH is on the lot where you are inquiring have the saleperson or yourself look at the yellow sticker.

Jim,
The MH is a couple of hours a way and so can't look for the sticker right now and we are in the process of negotiating.  I have the brochure and all I can find is the GCWR and GVWR are these the numbers I am looking for?  Sorry to sound so stupid, but this is new stuff to me.  I know that it will tow 10,000.  Thanks in advance for your info.

I would ask whoever you are dealing with what the sticker says on it. What year is the MH? If it is new or a few yrs old than it will have the yellow OCCC sticker. What a MH can safely carry is one of the biggest surprises owners find...after they purchase. Don't be surprised...know what you are purchasing!

It's 2011 so it should most definitely have the sticker.  I'll give him a call and ask.  Thanks for the tip.  I'm assuming that size of the MH has something to do with it?  (should never assume! LOL)

+1 for what Jim said.  Winnebago prints a unique weight sheet for each motorhome that rolls off the assembly line.  Your best bet is to find another owner with the same model and options and ask them, or call the seller and have them read the sheet to you.

Or, if you have the VIN and/or serial number, Winnie Owner Relations might be able to tell you.

Edit:  You need to be concerned about CCC (or OCCC) for any new or old coach you are considering.  For example, a 40' coach should have 3,000 pounds of cargo capacity or more available considering the volume of storage space available.  And likewise, you won't get 3,000 pounds of CCC/OCCC on a 24' View/Navion, nor do you need 3,000 pounds of storage (unless you are planning on transporting lots of depleted uranium  ;) )

I don't have the vin number yet as there are two that we are negotiating.  It's the Itasca 40U 2011, if that helps.  Since it's a new model I doubt I'd be able to find another owner yet, but that's a thought. 

I sent an email to one of the salesmen that we're working with and hopefully he'll get back to me.  I'd hate for this to be a deal breaker. 

What weight to you feel is enough?

4ducksrus said:
What weight to you feel is enough?

I would like at least 3,000 pounds available for cargo, not including liquids and people in a 40-footer.  Now, for a weekender, you could probably get by with considerably less.  Part-timing or fulltiming, you want all you can get.  When we were living on our Horizon, I think we had about 3,200 pounds of CCC and used all but about 50 pounds of that.  We had to work at keeping under our 32,000 pound limit.

I just got off the phone with a dealer and he wasn't able to give me that info!  Wow, these guys just want to sell you a rig regardless of what your needs are.  Can I call the factory direct and speak to someone there? 

Wasn't able to give you that information - that's way too funny  ;D 

Either you are dealing with an incompetent and ignorant salesperson, or they are intentionally withholding information.  I would look for another dealer, or at the very least work with another salesperson.  Give Winnie Owner Relations a call and chat with them about weights specific to your model - those guys are very sharp and tuned in.  They should be able to give you a range of weights.

How about asking for the VIN of the motorhome?  If they deny that request, then they are yanking your chain for sure.

I just got off the phone with the tech support at Winnebago Industries and I have to tell you I'm really impressed!  He took the time to answer all of my questions and made me feel comfortable with my concerns. 

This mh has 4,000 OCCC so I think we'll be fine! 

If any of you are considering purchasing a new Winnebago/Itasca and have questions that your salesman can't answer, I recommend giving them a call.  Just my 2 cents worth!!

Thanks John,
You gave me good advice.  We have found that with today's economy there are a lot of salesmen out there that are just going through the motions.  I know many won't believe this, (LOL)  but a lot of them just don't know all of their products inside and out and so they just guess at the answers.  We've found that by doing our homework and by not being in a rush we are getting the answers we need, most of the time through this forum!!  Thanks to all of you for your help.

Generally speaking, this forum is a far better place to get facts and details than the typical salesman.  There are some very product-knowledgeable salespeople out there, but you would be extremely lucky to run into one.  Congratulations of doing your due diligence before looking.

You are so right!  Thanks again for your help!  We're getting closer to our purchase! 

If there are any other facts that you would like to know about that MH;
http://www.goitasca.com/products/2011/meridian/specifications/

And don't forget if you don't like the paint/fabric colors you can always look at the 40U Winnebago Journey.

Most RV salesmen know just a little bit about what they are selling ...last month they may well have been selling a different brand, or selling cars ...and most won't be there this time next year.  When we bought our coach in 2003 the salesman adequately answered several questions (I always start with questions I know the answers to so I can test the salesman's knowledge/honesty). As I pushed on to more complicated questions our salesman said at one point, "You might want to ask a fulltimer that question ...they would know more about that than I do." We found a salesman who was honest about the fact that he didn't know!!! ...and when we returned a couple of years later, he was long gone...  Another Winnebago salesman we talked to and test drove a coach with (and was pretty knowlegeable!) emailed us a few months later inviting us to drop by his new location where he was selling Holiday Ramblers.  I double check pretty much anything the sales staff tells me!!

You also might want to ask members of this forum what kind of discount you can expect to get on a big DP.  Remember the sales staff is not your friends they just want to sell you a motor home they have in stock and make their quota.  If they say something and its important make sure you get it in writing on your contract.  That my 2 cents worth.

If you can't get the answer from the salesman and if the forum can't help you, always do as you did call Winnie. They will most often tell you what is right. And remember if it sounds fishy it usually is. Most of the forum members are knowledgeable but Sicssor(sp) Jack John has all the toys. Happy Hollidays to all.

I just found out about OCCC (Occupant and Carrying Capacity).  This post and others I have found have been helpful.  If I understand how to calculate OCCC correctly then using the above Itasca example where Winnebago provided a 4,000# OCCC.  The formula is OCCC = GVWR - (UVW + Propane).  If GVWR = 32,350; if propane = (28 gal * 4.2)= 118#; then the UVW (which is the weight specific provided by the manufacture) will be 28,232#. 

So now if I look at Winnebago motorhomes I can look at their OCCC label and see the OCCC weight.  If I were looking at the Itasca that I used in the above example I should see 28,232.  I think this OCCC weight makes it easier to compare carrying capacity.  I am assuming most of the major manufactures are using an OCCC label?

I realize that it is my responsibility to not over load.  The Journey 40U has huge storage capacity which could lead to over loading.  But it also lends itself to being able to manage (organize) your stuff better.  For me the OCCC is helpful.  The 4,000# is a clear number to work from as weight is added and removed: passengers, liquid tank weights, material additions such as solar panels etc, tools, tables, bikes, chairs, parts, barbecue, satellite dishes, pots and pans, lamps, rugs, screen enclosures, hoses, washing gear, tire covers, jacks, spare electrical cords, jack pads... holy cow the list seems endless and then there is the food, clothing, books, DVDs, maps, radios, computers, printers, decorations, the bag with all the RV owners manuals must weight 10 pounds and there you go I'm over weight.  SteveG 

Back
Top Bottom