Air Compressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket

Can the air system aboard my Allegro Bus be tapped for airing up tires on the road? I don't see a safety issue if it were plumbed properly. I just finished a 5,860 mile trip out west and it would have helped if I had it to adjust pressure on an inside dual that somehow dropped below the others. I have a pressure monitoring system on board and it bugged me til I finally found a tire shop that I could get in and out of without unhooking the toad. It would just be simpler to plug in an air hose and make any pressure adjustments if it's an option.

Is your Allegro on a Freightliner chassis?  If so, there should be an air manifold on the firewall where you can add a fitting for an air hose.

Yes, it's on a Freightliner chassis. Is the firewall in front of the engine?

The firewall is the back wall of the front generator compartment.  Look near the top center for the manifold.  It will have one air hose for the air horns and several unused ports with plugs in them.

On mine, it is on the top left corner as you face the windshield. Mine already had a quick disconnect on it and I just had to match the connection to my hose.

Because I have a bra on mine, and everything has to come loose to get the front access panel open and the hose connected, consider plumbing a line down to a more accessible place, if that's an issue for you.

That plumbing is on my list when I get some time later this month.

On Freightliner chassis', the airtank manifold is on the front firewall, as others have described. However, since that front firewall is the coach manufacturer's construction, it could be almost anywhere in that area. We have seen some ingenious locations that took a day to find. On our first coach, it was left of center.

On other chassis' it depends on the chassis and the manufacturer. Our current coach is on a Spartan chassis and the air take off is in the street side bay area past the right front tire and attached to the frame rail. I don't know if Spartan put it there or Travel Supreme did, but there is only a single connector there, on the FL chassis, IIRC, there were 5 or 6 ports.

I have also seen air take-offs on the street side in a bay behind the drive wheels.

Let us know what kind of chassis you have and probably someone here has something similar and give you a specific answer.

On my Freightliner the air manifold is located in the left front bay (under the driver seat), which also contains the  dash air/heat plumbing and fans.  I think the air manifold is wherever the body builder decides to mount it - it's just a short dangling hose when it comes from Freightliner.

After reading this post last week, I got to thinking about "us" gas rigs. The max PSI in the coach tires is 95#. Plus the tandem trailer with Harley inside, and spares for each. It might be handy to have an air compressor on board. So I bought one at Sears last night. On sale for $89, plus a rebate $15 gift card. Compact little unit, 25# total. 25' of coil hose, chuck, and other misc. fittings. It provides 2.0 scfm @ 90 psi, max 150# tank pressure. It may take a while to inflate a low MH tire, but it better than driving round trying to find a place with adequate air pressure.

Found some fittings that look like air line quick disconnects and they are attached to a slim square box about 18"x4"x2". I guess that's the manifold, although it's not what I expected it to look like. I'm gonna plug an air nozzle into it to see what I get.

Our first MH, a HR on a Spartan Chassis had the air outlet in the first compartment behind the drives side front wheel. Dido on the 2nd, a Monaco Windsor on a Roadmaster chassis but there was also a air "in" port (for towing) on the front fire wall. Our current MH, Monaco Camelot has multiple air ports (in and out) on the front fire wall along with drain valves.

ken

Back
Top Bottom