Storage versus not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holly1948

Hi, I'm Holly, I'm new here.
I'm unemployed and contemplating retirement.  The problem is that long term I can't afford my mortgage where I presently live (near San Francisco) and can't afford to sell in this terrible market. So get a job (looking less and less likely at 62) or renting out my home and shipping out are really my options.
There is nothing to keep me in California, I won't miss it.  I have thought in terms of renting, buying the cheapest shack where the climate is tolerable (is the climate actually tolerable anywhere that doesn't cost a fortune!!??).
So someone suggested considering full-timing.

But then there is my lifetime of collected stuff. I am resigned to only being able to keep 3500lbs or so but that's still quite a lot.
so if I went full-time my stuff would have to go into storage perhaps.

Then again the cheapest lot with a manufactured home on it (and no deed restrictions - that is the big issue) doesn't seem
to cost a lot more on a mortgage than paying for storage. Doesn't having a permanent home have advantages even if
you hardly ever use it (like an annual visit for a couple of weeks perhaps).

Has anyone else done this equation? What do you think?
Here is an example of what I have in mind as an alternative to paying for storage (I do realize it
might be necessary to find a house-sitter, but that can't be impossible).
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8085-Heck-Dr-North-Fort-Myers-FL-33917/45491637_zpid/
It's just an example to give you an idea of the kind of money I have in mind.

I would love to hear your opinions on being 97% of fulltime.

Our advice when trying full timing is having an exit plan if it is not what you planned. If your "stuff" is that important to you I would recommend storing the most important of your possessions for long enough to make sure you are going to remain a full timer.

We have full timed for 5 years and as of November are planning on living in our m/h 6-7 months a year. We stored my wife's favorites for 51/2 years and now she is very happy to get to use them again.  For me and many otrher full timers possessions are just stuff and not that important.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

We have a permanent home in rural Florida and spend 6-7 months a year traveling in our motorhome. The home base is a 1200 sq ft  manufactured home, aka double-wide trailer. Upkeep is not real expensive and we always have a place to come back to, either seasonally or when we decide not to travel any more.

Decent places around here (Ocala, FL area) cost more than that $18k place you referenced, but for 2x that you can probably get a livable place and not just "storage". Or rent a trailer in a park somewhere.

If you "fulltimed", would you buy an RV and travel, or just park a RV or park model home somewhere and roost?

I'm in my early 50s.  When I contemplate my "stuff" there's not a lot that I need.  My most important treasure is a painting my mother did of an aerial photo of my grandparents farm.  But if it burns well  that's life. 

I should also add that I'm used to living in a one bedroom motel suite for months on end while working at client sites out of town.

Also I'm single and male so my furniture is not the fanciest, some used uhen I got it, and indeed is sparse so that's no big loss if I give it away either.

That said maybe there are storage spaces where you can buy instead of rent.

Gary RV Roamer said:
  If you "fulltimed", would you buy an RV and travel, or just park a RV or park model home somewhere and roost?
Oh definitely travel.

To me the attractiveness of full time (or near fulltime) is that there is nowhere in the 48 States that has a good climate all year round, but every day there is somewhere in the 48 that has good weather today.
Your arrangement seems near perfect, the woman can provide a nest to fly back to and the man actualizes the adventures.

I'm not at all sure that long term RVing is safe for a divorced woman on her own, but I guess you have a fair amount of control over how adventurous versus how safe you want to be (how much risk you want to run).  All of life is a gamble of one kind or another.

maybe find a "work-kamping" gig... you might get some storage as part of the deal... rent your SF place.

>>is that there is nowhere in the 48 States that has a good climate all year round, <<

Santa Monica down to San Diego has almost perfect weather year round.  There may be a few times you need A/C or heating but mostly mild weather with low humidity, low rain,  no snow and for the most part no bugs..... of course it won't fit your price range.

Higher elevations in nevada

I prefer hot weather so..

Your version of tolerable isn't my version of tolerable.

I'm sure that all women at one time or another are alone where ever they are, ( traveling to work, going shopping, visiting friends, going to the local bar ,etc. etc.)I doubt that anyone knows if your divorced or not . Cracks me up when women make that statement about their safety. >>>Dan

You'd be surprised what you really don't need.  It was time consuming but I scanned all of our most important family photos onto disk, same with the important docs....did the same thing with old VHS family movies......sold or gave away everything else (donations can bring you some tax incentives and made a couple grand having yard sales)....kids kept some of the furniture...voila...no more crap....I mean think about it....how much stuff that you're thinking of storing, will you ever really want to move in and out of storage again,  and pay to store it?  All of us have tons of stuff we don't need and will never, EVER use again.  My advice...if on a regualar basis you don't use it?.... lose it.  Happy fultiming

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom