Full Timer Solo RVer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

There was a recent thread concerned with how old one should be when they finally park their rig for the last time. About 2 months ago this fellow pulled into the space across the driveway from my spot. He had driven his 5th wheel down from Redding, CA by himself with his 3/4 ton pickup. His girlfriend (appeared to be around 40ish) made the reservation for him.

He made quite an impression on everyone here in this park -- as he 90 years old. During warmer days, he had many visitors from around the park listening to the many stories he had to tell. He is an ex-marine and survivor of the battle of Iwo Jima.

HERE is a candid I took of him at a Thanksgiving dinner given by the park managers (click the image to give it a black frame).

Unfortunately, this past week he fell from the bedroom area down -- and had to be taken to a local hospital. I found out later that his family talked him into giving up the RVing lifestyle and going into an assisted living home in the area. You can tell by the twinkle in this fellows eyes how much he enjoyed whatever he was doing and especially enjoyed being around other RVers. His rig and pick up are still here, and I wouldn't be too surprised if he changes his mind and returns once again.

Since he moved in I looked again at the details of Iwo Jima. To have survived that is truly amazing.

Amazing generation!  There is a Iwo Jima survivor who lives not far from us.  A few years ago he realized that history needs to be kept alive and began speaking in local libraries, to school children, etc telling his story.  He was on Mt. Suribachi when the first flag was raised and has an old b/w photo of that.  I could listen to him for hours!

Sheila

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom