Anyone own a Reyo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reyo owner

I have a brand new 2011 Reyo. I have owned it for less then two months, and put about 3000 miles on it. The fresh water valve came apart and was "fixed" at Camping World. Actually it was put back in back wards and I couldn't get water when dry camping at Wal Mart. The black tank valve is crooked where it goes into the plumbing compartment and can't be fixed. The radio/tv switch was put in upside down. There was a gap around the refrigerator letting in light and air. The sealing strips in the back had to be refastened. The entry door shade will not roll all the way up. About 700 miles after I bought it, the MH started to lose power, the check engine light came on and we were almost rear ended by an 18 wheeler. We were towed 70 miles to have the engine repaired. The EGR was replaced. About a week later, happened again, on the interstate. Check engine light, messages, limp mode. 'Limped' 200 miles to nearest dealer. Sensory valve replaced in gas pedal. Three hours later, on the interstate, same thing. "Limped" 160 or so miles to another nearest dealer. Turbo resonator and EGR replaced. Non functioning water valve diagnosed as in backwards. Had spent night without water at WalMart awaiting repairs. Took MH out for a drive to run engine and move tires, check engine light came and turbo sluggish. To another mechanic. Turbo resonator just put in had blown apart and damaged O rings. Returned week later to have air filter checked. Need another EGR. Air filter flooded with water. Can't drive unit in the rain. Saw three Mercedes dealers in three different states who never saw a Reyo, some mechanics unfamiliar as how to fix it. One mechanic put the turbo resonator in for the first time. (it blew up) Winnebago dealers won't fix the coach problems, have to take to Itasca an 1 1/2 hour away. Afraid to take this anywhere. Anyone else having problems with theirs? Have made many calls to Mercedes and Winnebago. Have had to pay for car rental and lodging while repairs made on vacation. A three day trip took over a week to get home.

Welcome!

Sounds like a bunch of chassis problems to get worked out.  The Sprinter is an exceptionally popular chassis not only for RVs, but commercial as well and I haven't heard about that many issues with that chassis.  In fact, I'm trying real hard to think about any Sprinter issues that we've had surface here.

So you have been talking to Winnie Service Admin (Owner Relations)?  What are they telling you?

Unfortunately the Coach issues you are having are not that surprising....the issues with the chassis are....especially to have an egr valve replaced three times...that is very weird. Your 2011 Reyo is built on a 2010 Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis so you have to get warranty work at a MB dealership which can be challenging. Air filter filled with water?
Why do you have to bring it to an Itasca dealer? What dealerships are you working with...want to make sure I avoid these bozos....
I have a 2010 Winnebago View on a 2008 Sprinter chassis and I did have my egr valve replaced at about 8k miles. Otherwise it has worked fine.
Let us know how things turn out.
If you joint the Winnebago View/Navion group there are a bunch of Reyo owners on there as well and might be able to answer some questions you have.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/View-Navion/

Water gets into the engine through the hood, and through the air intake which is up against the grill. The Freightliner mechanic said that when you travel at 60 or 70 mph you can suck in water or dirt. Winnebago told me to have the turbo resonator replaced the first time but the Mercedes mechanic that time said the computer showed a faulty EGR valve only. By the third time, the Winnebago guy spoke to the Mercedes service manager and told him to replace the turbo resonator. He called later and recommended the EGR also be replaced due to what I mentioned above, as we had driven through a heavy rain storm. So, basically, we can't drive in the rain!? The faulty turbo resonator is apparently a years long problem cause it is plastic, not metal. I found this out online. Both Winnebago and Mercedes say the same thing, sorry you have had so much trouble. Mercedes blames Winnebago for the way the body was placed on the chassis. As for coach repairs, I called a Winnebago dealer who told me I had to go to an Itasca dealer for repairs. I don't know anyone else who has one. It is a nice looking rig, but the many problems are stressful. Not even two months and we have been to four mechanics in four states, and still need coach repairs on top of the engine problems. Damage was done to the coach when repaired at Camping World.

Wow, this is the first I have heard about a sprinter chassis with that many problems. FYI- what is confusing some folks on the board is that an "Itasca" is a different trim line model built by Winnebago. Could it be that you mean "Isata" dealer?  My advice is that the squeaky wheel is the one that gets greased, so keep squeaking to Winnebago. It may be the chassis builders responsibility, but it's still Winnebago's coach. Keep them in the loop, and keep GOOD records of who you talked to, when, and what they said. You may need it later. 

Sarge

I would call Winnebago and tell them the dealers name and what the dealer is saying -- they won't touch an Itasca Product." Sounds more like you didn't buy it here so take is somewhere else. Winnebago will tell them to get there act together. As far as I know Winnebago dealers are suppose to work on both with no questions asked.
JMHO -- Frank O.

Wow! I just realized this is the same as the Via" ( very new to this ;) ). I will have to dig deeper since I was close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 Via. Have you resolved this problem?

Our Reyo sits at the Freightliner mechanic's. A Daimler/Mercedes rep. has looked at it. Waiting, waiting, for a fix. Right now, cannot drive in the rain. Before buying a Via, check to see where you can have engine maintenance work done. The three Mercedes dealerships we were sent to in three different states had never seen a Class A like this. Be prepared to be 100s of miles from the nearest dealership. Have money for car rental and lodging. Be prepared to fight to be reimbursed. Check the CCC. You have to travel light. The unit looks great doesn't it. Very European, sleek looking. People everywhere will want to take a look at it. Oh, the freezer needs defrosting regularly. Have had three other RVs, never had to defrost the freezer before. Maybe you will have better luck then us.

Unfortunately the new 2011 Motorhomes built on 2010 MB Sprinter chassis will only be under warranty if you bring it to a MB dealership...then they have to be equipped  to work on a MH...can be very tough to find as the OP stated. It is hard enough finding a Dodge dealership that will work on the "older" Sprinter based chassis.
I know looking at the engine compartment of a Via/Reyo it looks like a nightmare to work on....The MH looks nice indeed...but...
The OCCC on these MH's run from ~1,000 - 1600 lbs depending on options and floorplan.

reyo owner said:
Be prepared to be 100s of miles from the nearest dealership

We have no issue driving 1,000+ miles for known good service, i.e, Winnie Factory Service (we'll time that visit to include the GNR), or Freightliner Factory Service in Gaffney, SC (we use that as excuse to visit friends), or Freightliner in Tolleson, AZ (great excuse to head to Arizona in the winter.  Finding a good dealer or service facility is critical for becoming and remaining a happy camper.

Have money for car rental and lodging

Only one time did we have to stay at a motel, every other time we slept on the coach.  We tow a Jeep so we never have any rental expense.

Be prepared to fight to be reimbursed

Reimbursed for what - a motel?  Rental car?  Maintenance?

Check the CCC. You have to travel light

If you don't have enough CCC in your Reyo,perhaps you should have investigated that aspect more carefully before purchase.  I made real sure our Horizon would fit our needs before we pulled the trigger on purchase.  In fact I even wrote in the purchase contract the entire deal would be contingent upon me reviewing a weight slip on the Horizon and satisfied with the weight.

The unit looks great doesn't it. Very European, sleek looking. People everywhere will want to take a look at it.

It is very attractive.

Oh, the freezer needs defrosting regularly

So does our high-dollar four-door Norcold.

Dang John,  I guess "Reyo  Owner" does'nt have problems after all!  You fixed every thing in one post. But unlike you, I ain't buying a Winnie, Tiffen or any other MH that owners brag about their numerous vacations to find some one that can patch up problems with it.

The EGR valve failure due to water intrusion is a known issue and a safety problem (Limp mode  25mph on a 65 mph freeway) real danger

File a complaint with NHSC  https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm  to get MB and/or Winnebago to fix the problem

I did and they seemed happy to get the info

PHE

Wonder why EGR valve an on-going issue. Why hasn't it been addressed? I should not have to drive 1000 miles for service on my MH. I should be able to have confidence in the motor. I mentioned the CCC because a person new to RVing may think they can fill every closet and cabinet in a vehicle since it is there. We travel light, so it is not an issue.

I'm in the "I don't take vacations to drive 1000 miles for service" camp!  My life and time are more important than that!  ::)  We do have to drive some distance for service (havent had to in a couple of years....so knock on wood), but having to drive our motorhomes to the factory for service would be UNACCEPTABLE to me.  I feel your pain about the MB dealerships, as there is only one close to where we live so that would have to do I guess.  We have a Workhorse Chassis, and there is only one close to us, and fortunately, they do good work.

I do echo the CCC responses, so check that very carefully...and remember, the CCC designation went away and now everything is OCCC.

reyo owner said:
Oh, the freezer needs defrosting regularly. Have had three other RVs, never had to defrost the freezer before. Maybe you will have better luck then us.
Sounds like your fridge door seal leaks - not a difficult fix.

I own a 2010 Reyo, 6000 miles, all towing a Toyota FJ.  Love the rig, getting 15.3 mpg towing.  I have not experienced the resonator or egr problems as yet, but for one friend with a View, replacing resonators has been a nightmare. 
My main beef is the tender suspension.  I am all over the road in a side wind or when a truck passes.  It is very tiring to wrestle with the steering on long trips.  If anyone out there has a solution, I am all ears.
Another situation thats weird is the way you have to dump the grey water.  It passes thru the black water valve, but you are required to go to the side compartment in the rear and hold down a switch to activate a grey water pump.  It takes several minutes to empty.  The grey water WILL NOT drain otherwise, which is highly inconvienant if you are parked at a campground for a few days.  You MUST go outside each day and empty the grey water with the pump. If you are in line at a dump station, you hold everyone up.  If you must get pumped out at a rally, it takes forever.
My engine battery will not stay charged.  It typically goes completely dead in two days.  Cant figure out whats draining it.  There is nothing on the dash to tell you the battery status so I had to buy a gadget at Camping World that fits in the cigarette lighter to keep track of it. 

Kenmar said:
I own a 2010 Reyo, 6000 miles, all towing a Toyota FJ.  Love the rig, getting 15.3 mpg towing.  I have not experienced the resonator or egr problems as yet, but for one friend with a View, replacing resonators has been a nightmare.

You most likely won't have any resonator issues...maybe EGR...that seems to be the weak point on the V6 sprinters

My main beef is the tender suspension.  I am all over the road in a side wind or when a truck passes.  It is very tiring to wrestle with the steering on long trips.  If anyone out there has a solution, I am all ears.

Give John a call at Upscale Auto in Portland, Or...very knowledgeable and nice guy:
http://www.upscaleauto.com/sprinter_store.htm

Another situation thats weird is the way you have to dump the grey water.  It passes thru the black water valve, but you are required to go to the side compartment in the rear and hold down a switch to activate a grey water pump.  It takes several minutes to empty.  The grey water WILL NOT drain otherwise, which is highly inconvienant if you are parked at a campground for a few days.  You MUST go outside each day and empty the grey water with the pump. If you are in line at a dump station, you hold everyone up.  If you must get pumped out at a rally, it takes forever.

Well all I can say is it's one of those Winnebago design issues :(

My engine battery will not stay charged.  It typically goes completely dead in two days.  Cant figure out whats draining it.  There is nothing on the dash to tell you the battery status so I had to buy a gadget at Camping World that fits in the cigarette lighter to keep track of it.

This seems to be a common problem with many motorhomes...2 days is not good. Before I had my trik-l-start and solar panels installed my chassis battery was fine for 3 weeks or so...I would either bring it back to the dealer or do some trouble shooting on your own. You can find some trouble shooting hints if you do a search on the web. All you need is a good VOM and some time...

Edit: Fixed quotes.

Brought my brand new 2011 Reyo home after it's 5th trip for engine repair in the first 6 weeks I owned it. Had to wait for Winnebago to guarantee  payment before the mechanic would let me pick it up. What I call "bandaid" repair job done to offset design flaw allowing rain to enter the engine and short circuit the EGR. Learned that newer models are addressing this issue with"adjustments" being made, since other Reyo owners having the same problem. Would have been nice to know this ahead of time. NO guarantee this will work and of course, Winnebago will not take it back. I don't trust this MH, have NO confidence in it at all. The problem is not new, should have been fixed before more models sold to unsuspecting people. Now to address the shoddy work done in the coach. Hoping it runs as it will be raining the day I have to take it in, and the Itasca dealer is over an hour and  half away. Needles to say, I am very upset.

dear reyo owner, i had placed an order for a reyo 25t, but after reading your post, i am concerned about my decision. i did a lot of research, butseems like you are the one with the most problem. one guy had problem with the egr, another had problem with dead chassis battery, but nothing else bad i could find on the forum. would you kindly reply to my post or call me at 850 291 2149. thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom