Anyone own a Reyo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KN. I have a Reyo 25R and I am one of at least 6 people who have the same problem with water getting into the engine from the hood. Supposedly it is fixed and Winnebago is making alterations to newer models being built. I took the Reyo for coach issues yesterday and was told it will take TWO MONTHS for it to be fixed: Door shade, window shade, closet door, refrigerator to be properly reinstalled and scratches repaired in compartment where water valve is. TWO MONTHS! You may have better luck with yours but be prepared for Mercedes dealers who don't know the unit and Winnebago dealers who won't touch it, insisting you go to an authorized Itasca dealer. The Itasca dealer I saw yesterday said he has sold 5 and no one has called him with engine problems. Maybe I can get him to sell mine.

Reyo owner, thanks for this post. We actually were sending deposit to dealer and have reconsidered and now are expanding our search. I understand things can go wrong but I can't understand how these two great brands refusing accountability!! 

Hope you have better luck going forward!

Ed

reyo owner, thanks for the reply. i called winnebago owner toll free line today to inquire about the problem with water entering the air intake causing damage to the egr , but the person answering the phone stated that he is not aware of the problem! i do not want to mention names, but i sure like to know who you have been dealing with at winnie regarding this issue. i also asked him about the inmotion satellite that i want to install on the roof of the reyo by my local sat people, and since it is advertised as satellite ready, how would we locate the area on the roof where we are supposed to drill to find the cable? again no real answer from him. if anybody knows about sat installation, please let me know. i was planning on getting the wineguard rt1200t. thanks. reyo owner, if you can, please call my cell  from previous post.

Sorry I should have given a better update. We were recently told by a mechanic that the water was coming in through the air intake hose and that was the problem. When I originally called Winnebago Service Administrators, they told us it was a problem with the turbo resonator and to have it changed. The latest is that the water comes in through the hood, (area under the windshield) so a bigger rubber gasket has to be put in to replace the thinner one and the area was caulked. According to Winnebago, this is being done to all new Reyos coming off the line and there may be other tweaking done along the way. This should keep the water out and no more shorting the computer or other valves etc. As I mentioned, the Itasca dealership we went to this week told us they have sold 5, and there have been no engine issue they know of. A Winnebago rep. told us that he knows of 6 units who have the same problem. My issue is the problems we had with our faulty unit, and Winnebago refusing to take it back and give us our money back. If this was a car the lemon law would have covered this. Not all states cover motor homes under the lemon law, so you have to hire a lawyer and go to court, another nightmare. I have dealt with several people at Winnebago. Ask if your unit is one of the new units with the modification to keep the water out. Hopefully this will fix the problem for us, but I still have a bitter feeling about the whole incident. We have yet to enjoy it, having spent so much time getting it repaired. Now, another two months for the ordering of parts and repairs and who pays for what is not how I expected to be spending winter. Winnebago did finally agree to reimburse us for car rental and lodging related to having repair work done on our long way home. As for the engine, it would appear that Mercedes was right, and the fault was not the engine they built, but the coach put on it. Time will tell.

Recall was issued yesterday by Winnebago........cap to cover air intake to EGR and also front hood seal - new double seal.....

Well this thread is very informative. I'll never consider a Winnie. We were looking at the Reo because we like our Roadtrek Sprinter so much. I thought Iowa folks believed in quality. What a disappointment for Winnie customers, especially those who are trying to trade in or sell their units. Reminds me of my Lincolns.

Be careful in discrimination and parsing of data.  There are probably thousands of happy owners that have no reason to make a post on a forum.  If you are going to make a buying decision, please make it based on a larger sample size.

John, you are right. I looked up complaints about the Reyo before I bought it and found none. Since then I have found there were complaints but no one else posted them. I am glad there is a recall and hope I was part of the reason.  Squeaky wheel and all. Unfortunately, all we have had to endure has left us unhappy with our unit. The factory built a product with an inherent flaw. It should own up to it and those of us that had to deal with the engine failure issues so many times since purchase should have the option to return our product. If this were a car we would be protected by state lemon laws. We didn't even have our unit two months, and we had several trips to dealers for repairs  as stated above, and not just mechanical. This unit just had too many things go wrong. Hopefully my next posting will be, Winnebago listened, took back the rig and reimbursed us. Maybe then others will reconsider and purchase a newer Reyo. Mistakes happen. This one just happened to happen to us.

I am glad I found this forum as I have been given great feedback and picked up tips on other issues.

John Canfield said:
Be careful in discrimination and parsing of data.  There are probably thousands of happy owners that have no reason to make a post on a forum.  If you are going to make a buying decision, please make it based on a larger sample size.

Usually, 1% of unhappy customers let sellers know that they're unhappy. This thread pretty well documents Winnebago's stumbles on this product, and I think potential customers should be wary of the company until it gets its act together.

Have a 2010 Via on a 2009 chasis.  Been reading alot about this water problem and I have to say that I have not experienced this.  Not to say that I won't but just wondering where this water is coming in from?  Is it coming down the windshiled and into the engine compartment or is coming in thru the front and into the air box thru the inlet hose of where the air comes in to the airbox?

The water comes down the windshield and then under the hood. A thicker gasket is needed to stop the water from coming into the hood, and a metal cover goes over the EGR to keep it from getting wet. Prior to this "fix" the water would short out the engine, placing it in a unsafe limp mode, that is, you are suddenly going 20 to 30 mph and the 18 wheeler behind you is going a lot faster. Not everyone has had this problem, just an unfortunate chosen few.

Thanks for your reply-Can you tell me where the EGR is on this engine.  What kind of metal cover did you make to cover this?  Because of your reply I have already put a bigger piece of weather stripping along the top as you suggested.  I guess I will have to wait for rain now

Your best bet is to call the Service Administrator at Winnebago. The company is supposed to make these parts available, along with instructions. It was not so easy to get the metal cap on, should have used a mechanic (arthritis). We got ours for free since we have had sooooo much trouble. Waiting for a really good rain fall to try it out. Call the 1-800 # and ask to speak to some one about the gasket and EGR cover.

Took out in a soft rain for 20 minutes. Some water still coming in. The hood itself seems to be loose. Winn Ser Rep to check units on the factory floor.

Sarge.  Reyo is an Itasca.  Isata also uses the Sprinter chassis.  How can they say the body was put on wrong?  The Srinter is essentially assembled when it gets to Winne/Itasca. 

Lots of buck passing.  Sorry for your issues, but getting Itasca/Winne cust relations is your best solution.  Yhey should be driving the MB dealerships for solutions, and Itasca/Winne for the coach issues. 

OK, so we are finally taking a vacation in our Reyo. Left on Thursday. averaging 14 1/2 miles with AC on. 16 1/2 otherwise. Friday the 13th., check engine light came on. No messages. Called Mercedes. Nearest repair 136 miles away. Next 157 where we were headed. Can't get seen for two days.  Called Winn. advised to check all fluid levels. Did not happen right after refueling. Scanned and cleared codes since no noticeable problem. That night turned on range fan for the first time. Heard a loud grating sound. Winn. to look into it. Saturday the 14th., Kwikee steps malfunctioning. Making clunking noise and steps jumping when opening and closing. Took to Suncoast RV this morning. Winn. sending out new motor. Hopefully it will get here tomorrow. Yesterday check engine light came on right after refueling. Gas cap on properly. Sitting in waiting room at Freightliner for several hours. Hopefully they can at least make a diagnosis today, as they are very busy. Laminate coming off closet door. Winn. says it can be fixed. So much for a relaxing vacation. Not even gone a week yet, and have to be back by next Thursday. Have not had an opportunity to drive in hard rain yet. Still get water on the airfilter despite changes that were made. Winn. service rep. very helpful, but would rather not have to call. This is the worse RV I have ever owned.

Waited at Freightliner in Jacksonville fl. for 3 hours only to find that the scanner they needed to diagnose our check engine light was 75 miles away!! We were told it was coming back. One hour after told it never left the other dealer. Got back into our rig and the light was off. The light came on again about 200 miles later. We stopped at a MB dealer in Tallahassee and the scan told us to get a computer update. Done. 15 miles later, light back on. Back to MB. same message popped up on scanner. Perplexed, dealer added several gallons of urea. Light back on after 5 miles. Cont. to drive with light off an on entire trip after discussion with MB and Winn. Will take to another Freightliner dealer end of next week. Meanwhile, frost on refrig. freezer fins, extending into fins in fridge. section. Temp 56 degrees in veggie bin. Had to throw sensitive medication away. Defrosted the freezer and same problem three days later. Temp. 50 degrees in veggie bin. Dometic to get us a new refrigerator. Will have fan issue taken care of next week at a Winn. dealer. No way to spend a "relaxing vacation".

Finally found out problem with the engine after a couple scans at Freightliner. We need new parts for the system that monitors the anti pollution system. Unfortunately one part was not available in the USA or Germany several weeks ago. We had hoped for shipment of a part today, but no luck. Been waiting several weeks. We also noted cracking of the paint/decal in the rear. Awaiting disposition on that with Winnebago. Picture sent by dealer. On the bright side, we have a new refrigerator and the range hood fan was repaired. Had to forgo camping with friends over the holidays.  Wanted to leave in a few days for a trip but will have to cancel those plans as well. Hoping a new part becomes available soon. Anxious to get on the road again and have a trip without problems.

This is a reply to Kenmar, many months too late but perhaps helpful to other Reyo owners or Via owners. We had the slideout rewired after losing battery power in our MH when it was parked for a few days in the driveway. Recently when we took our Reyo for repair, the dealer who did the rewiring was grateful that he had experience with the issue with our rig. He was able to help a new Via owner having the same issue. Winnebago sent a schematic drawing explaining how to do the rewiring. It was covered under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom