Stacker Trailers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00RoadKing

I own a 2007 American Eagle 43' and my wife and I are avid motorcyclists. We are faced with the age old dilema of how to bring our bikes and a vehicle when we travel. I hope to be on the road more than not in the near future (2012 cross your fingers) and am considering purchasing a "Stacker" trailer. I would love to hear from anyone with experience in this area as far as what to look for and what to lookout for. If you own or have owned and towed a stacker please tell me about your experieces in towing these behemoths. Thank you in advance for your guidance and experience.

I've never towed one but Iwould have to say since it will probably be taller than you coach I would get a V-nose trailer to help with wind resistance/swaying.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I would hear more from my friends on RVForum. Actually I think that the trailier I am considering is the same heighth as my coach. My coach is 13' 2" at the AC units and this trailer is 13'. I think that overall it is likely the best solution for me but they are quite expensive and I am concerned about the overall size. I think that I will eventually get used to the size though. I am looking at a used '04 trailer and it is 26' plus a 3' hitch, so 29' overall plus my 43' coach is 72'. WOW! Is there a limit in length? I was told 75'.

Friend of mine down on FL has one.  Pretty cool, he carries 2 bikes, 2 cars and a golf cart.  Not sure about the weight though.  He doesn't seem to have an issue with it.  BTW, bikes go up top front on a platform, then the small car on the lift, and the custom hot rod on the floor of the trailer, this leaves room up front at the side door for the golf cart.  Fun to watch the loading.

Overall length limits vary by state.  Some can be as low as 65 feet (California for one).

I cant imagine a 65' limit. A 45' rig and a typical toad will put you at 65' or better. Do they enforce these laws? If I am passing through a state
and am over the "State" limit am I likely to be stopped and ticketed? My expereince has been that they hardly ever pull over RV's. I drove my rig around for 3 months on a 30 day permit that was not visible (it was on the dash) and was never stopped.

You probably won't be stopped for measuring, but if you are stopped for any other violation, they may very well do so and then you have a problem.

I have pulled over length for years. Have never been stopped but like was said above, in case of other violations they will probably ticket over length. I have a 40' coach with 26' trailer. that along with the tongue puts me at about 70'.
A stacker trailer is my dream.  Good luck.

If you go with a stacker, or any large trailer, don't get the V nose as it will only add length and contribute to wind buffeting.  A V nose is designed for smaller vehicles towing a large trailer.  In the case of your RV, it is tall enough that the trailer will slipstream in its wake without any additional wind drag.

I'm in the same boat as you with my Wanderlodge, although my wife doesn't ride a bike.  After having three blowouts on my 20' trailer going to New England last year, I am wondering about the issues with trailer tires that have max 65MPH ratings (this is almost all made!).  I'm currently leaning towards turning my Avalanche into the toad with my bike in the back of it.  For two bikes you could have one on a rear lift and one in a pickup bed.  Not ideal, but nothing is.

What is the cost of one of these stacker trailers?  I often see them behind very fancy coaches at some of the nascar races and these are fans only..They sure are nice and most of them have very fancy cars and motorcycles in the back.  Oh to dream....

Prices are quite varied as one might assume. New basic 24' trailers are 25K - 30K and then you start adding all of the options, paint, wheels, diamond plate etc. I happen to be looking at a used '04 28' with custom paint that they want 23k for. They are very nice and seem to be just the right solution for me, but I sure don't wanna be illegal in every other state.

Greetings--

No RV yet-- The one reason we haven't bought one yet is trailering our two SeaDoos.  We're avid pwc riders.  Backing a 30ft plus  RV down some of the boat ramps we've been on is a scary thought !  I have problems getting  our dual trailer down with my F-150 at some of them.  Plus-- having to pull the doos in and out daily with the RV  isn't going to work well.  A small minority of places we've ridden have overnight (read secure) docking).

I've run across some limited info on these stacking trailers but not much.  I've subscribed to this thread to see future comments.

I'm thinking of stacking the PWC trailer on top and a Jeep on the bottom.  PWC weight with trailer and gas is 2300-2400#,  A jeep with gas is 4000# or so from what I can find.
THat's 6500 + 3300 for the stacking trailer=9800# more or less.

Is that reasonable to pull behind a 30 ft or so RV ? or is it going to need to be a larger model ?

I'd love to run into someone who pulls one of these in Texas or passing through and visit with them--anyone ?

RON

Your choices will be limited, given that total towed weight.

I doubt you'll find any Class C motorhome that will tow much more than 3500 lbs. You'd also be stretched to find a gas Class A motorhome with more than 5,000 lbs towing capacity. The challenge will be to find a diesel pusher under 34 foot long.

I've considered (struggled with) the options of towing a car and a boat for a number of years. We currently own a 38 foot diesel pusher (towing capacity = 10,000 lbs) towing a Suburban (8,000 lbs), and I don't see us being able to tow a stacked trailer, cost aside.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strandy1978
Back
Top Bottom