Rainy southern California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, Marsha, our Charlie the Poodle loves the rain, too, bless his little webfooted heart. We're in Gold Canyon AZ, east of Mesa, so mostly dry.  Can't imagine being in the CA storms you all are having. And, Rick, down Tejon Pass without an engine brake sounds really scary, what happened to the brake? Glad you made it okay. Take care all.

Pierat said:
Can't imagine being in the CA storms you all are having. And, Rick, down Tejon Pass without an engine brake sounds really scary, what happened to the brake? Glad you made it okay. Take care all.

It was really scary.  There was nothing wrong with the engine brake I just didn't want to use it with so much water on the road.  In spite of seeing three pretty bad accidents I was pretty impressed with how reasonably everyone was driving.  The rain was so bad that nearly everyone was doing only about 30-35 mph.  Third gear and stabbing the brakes at 35mph to drag us back down to 30 and repeat as required...  :eek:

Sure feels good to be back in the desert.

Rick

Marsha:  Glad you are O.K. and hope you can get out soon.  Wendy:  A few years back, Death Valley got this kind of rain and they said the roads were closed.  We didn't go, but found out later that many people got in there and the flowers were out of site.  Keep me posted.  I don't want to make a trip all the way from Texas if I can't get in there and do some photography.

Ron from Big D said:
A few years back, Death Valley got this kind of rain and they said the roads were closed.  We didn't go, but found out later that many people got in there and the flowers were out of site.

We were there the year of the big rains....washed out a big chunk of Sunset campground and closed every road in and out of the park except the Betty Cutoff. We decided we had to go back in February for the flowers and we were glad we did. It was a 100-year bloom that we'll probably never see again. But you never know....... Even if it's not a spectacular wildflower year, you can ALWAYS find wildflowers in DEVA in the spring...sometimes you just have to look harder.

Wendy
rainy San Clemente

Tim & Marsha, glad to hear you are hunkered down ok.  Also, glad to hear only minor difficulties from other framily.  Although we aren't there, we are being told that the rain hasn't stopped in Atlantic Canada either.  Keep dry everyone, enjoy Christmas, and hope to see a bunch of you in the Spring.

Ed

Wendy...

just read our national weather report and it notes your area is due for another "big storm" tonight
wet in Vancouver too - but manageable

now . . . has the dog forgiven you?
:)

regards, peter

Just received this from a neighbour.  Guess the cottage is now a waterfront property.  Sure glad we're in Florida, not in Shediac.  Marc how are things in Saint John?

Ed

Attachments

• Lake Gorber.jpg
    Lake Gorber.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 41
I am headed for California on I-10 and I hope the storms are gone by the time I get there. But we will probably cross paths somewhere in Texas.

Rained and Rained and Rained all night and the wind blew a ton....I do hate wind. San Mateo Creek that runs along the west boundary of Camp Pendleton is a river, water running FAST through the whole wash. Good news is we're up above it so we're not in danger of flood even though we're in an area that got more rainfall than some other areas. Glad we're off the beach...looks like the area we left Monday (San Elijo State Beach) is a mess ! San Diego has major flooding, so does Laguna Beach. And the folks next to the fire-burned areas are in danger of mudslides.

Peter: Gordon has forgiven me for wishing he was a cat. Guess I shouldn't complain about walking him in the rain since he sleeps thru the whole night and doesn't bug me to go outside until I'm up and dressed. He'd forgive me more if I'd let him chase the little bunnies in the campground.

Stay warm and dry folks.

Wendy
p.s. FWIW, it's 40 degrees and raining at home in SW Colorado but they're expecting it to turn to snow tonight so things could be worse :)

seilerbird said:
I am headed for California on I-10 and I hope the storms are gone by the time I get there. But we will probably cross paths somewhere in Texas.

Tom, wasn't somebody else using that avatar image (or was that on another forum)?

Is everyone on that side of the country ok? As much as I hate snow I feel guilty about whining after all the flood damage the rains are causing on that side of the country.

Wendy, I saw a picture of a lab in a rain coat and rain boots, made me think that you should look into that for Gordon so you don't have to spend so much time drying him. At least he's got short fur.

Everyone be safe over there and here's to wishing for some dry weather for you.

I thought it never rains in southern California, guess they need to rewrite that song.

tvman44 said:
I thought it never rains in southern California, guess they need to rewrite that song.

I grew up in so Cal, trust me, the song is a lie....and 5+ inches of rain in the last 48 hours proves it !

A couple of the I-5 on-ramps in San Clemente are closed due to flooding. And we're supposed to get thunderstorms this afternoon....goodie.

Wendy - wishing she was in the desert

Wendy said:
Wendy - wishing she was in the desert

Well it is raining in Yuma.  Just a heavy mist actually with LOTS of wind.  So be careful what you may ask for.  Actually we are enjoying the wet for a change.  It makes Christmas baking  so cozy.  Listening to Glee tunes and life is good.  I am warm, dry and hoping all Framily is well.
Betty

Wendy,

I talked to my son a while ago and they are stuck in the house.  You can see the video he took on his Facebook page, Paul Godward of the creek that is "alongside" their property and the road they travel to get out of the canyon they live in.  They can't get beyond that point so why try!

Oooo, I see he's up Trabuco Canyon....that and Silverado Canyon are both big time flooded places, along with Mission Valley. At least the wind stopped blowing.

I keep telling myself that the wind blows the skies clean and the rain brings life to the plants. And Mother Nature is getting the bad weather out of her system so that the weather will be PERFECT when we're in Death Valley.

Wendy

maddog348 said:
luca1369 ~~ Glad I'm not the only one to take a 'double take'.

For a minute there I was wondering if I saw it on this forum or elsewhere, but I remember seeing it...

A couple of folks here have used the Marley avatar. It keeps you all paying attention :)

Wendy

This rain is coming from Hawaii and called the Pineapple express - and is a warmer rain than we see coming down from Alaska. It is fortunate that it is happening now vs. later when the snow pack in the Sierras is much deeper. The dreaded "perfect storm" for CA is when we get heavy cold rains from Alaska during November and December that stay on the mountains of NCal -- and "then" get a Pinapple express series of storms.

When this happens, the warmer rains wash the snow pack down the rivers and streams. The idea is to keep the major reservoir levels (e.g., Shasta, Trinity, Orville, Folsom) down to absorb the excess. You can bet the State and USBR are releasing water like crazy right now from all of those. Most of the majors are about half full now - so cities like Sacramento are not going to wash away.

Later in the Spring, they will allow the reservoirs to rise again -- and if they plan "just right" will have them almost full when the rains stop for the summer. With the current drought in CA, they haven't been able to get those capacities as high as they would like.

HERE are the current levels of CA reservoirs today . . .

Back
Top Bottom