Setting up TV set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terier

How do I set up my TV to watch local channels? (For campgrounds which have cable TV hookups.)  I don't have Sat setup but would like local channels when available. 

TV is mounted and I can watch movies by connecting a portable DVD player to the TV with audio/video cable.  This is as far as I got.

Can anyone help guide me?  I have coax cables (6ft, 25 ft) and my trailer has the antenna on the roof.  What are would the next steps?

Thanks,
Terie

I'll give this a try.

1.  If you have an antenna on the roof, crank it up.  (If you are trying to get over the air, not cable from the park.)
2. The antenna on the roof is (or should be) connected to the internal wiring of the RV.
3. Normally the internal wiring of the RV has a connector near the TV location, and this connector is usually mounted on a plate with a button (and pilot light) on it.  This button turns on/off the TV antenna amplifier and gives you a stronger signal.
4. Turn on the amplifier and the TV.  (assuming you have a digital TV and not an older analog variety) now use the TV's internal controls to search for channels.  (If you are using an analog TV there must be a converter box between the hook up on the wall and the TV and you must use the converter box controls to search for stations.)
5. Now you should be able to get any local TV signal with sufficient strength.

If you are using the RV park cable use this procedure:
If you are hooked to the RV park's cable from the power post (Most RVs have a place to hook up the cable on the outside of the RV between the RV and the post.)

If you are running through the internal wiring of the RV for hook up the amplifier I mentioned earlier MUST BE TURNED OFF.  Also, there is no need to raise the antenna on the RV.  If you have a converter box the analog TV signal from the RV park should pass through it without issue.

You need to use the TV's internal controls to search for active stations.  Then you should be able to get any available TV reception from their cable system.

Good luck!  ;)

PS I had an afterthought.  Be sure to lower your antenna before you leave (if you raised it) and turn off the amplifer.  Leaving the antenna up will cause serious, expensive damage.  Leaving the amplivier on will put a drain on your battery.  :mad:

Honest John did a good job of telling how to do it provided the wiring is still factory spec

IF a prior owner messed it up you may have to make a few corrections.. Let us know and we will go to the next step if that is the case.

One thing we frequently forget when dealing with a first time use is to make sure the converter and the TV are talking to each other. Determine which channel the converter sends it's signal out over, usually channel 3 or 4, and tune to the same channel on the TV. The stations you watch will be determined by the converter and the volume by the TV.

BernieD said:
One thing we frequently forget when dealing with a first time use is to make sure the converter and the TV are talking to each other. Determine which channel the converter sends it's signal out over, usually channel 3 or 4, and tune to the same channel on the TV. The stations you watch will be determined by the converter and the volume by the TV.
Whether you are picking up a station or not OTA, the converter box will display its menu functions if you have things connected correctly between the TV & converter.  If you cannot get the menu, don't bother trying to get a station OTA.  As Bernie says, put your TV or channel 3.  If no joy, try channel 4.  If still no joy check your connections between the TV & converter.  Once you get the menu then you are ready to try to pick up TV stations.

The next step is to point your antenna in the general direction of the TV transmitting towers.  Tell the converter to search and see what you get.  When I'm on the road I use a simple little auto compass and a map to try to determine the direction I should point my antenna in.  Sometimes it will fool you as tower locations may not be where you expect.

Its a new TV set and I believe its digital.  Trailer is 2011 & has wiring.  Not sure about the amplifier part - don't recall seeing or remember this part but next time I'm in the trailer I can check the book.

Is there a trick to finding the TV transmitting towers?

BTW- what the are chances I will be able to pick up local channels over the air?  Is it possible or is it more likely not? (General campground in open area like San Clemente SB)

Here's another clueless question: Do I need some type of inventor or can I just use the regular plug if I have hookups?  This is sort of a broken up question with bits & pieces - someone said something to me about getting some type of device that plugs in like a cig lighter - does this make sense to anyone?

The amplifier is probably inside your antenna or in the box behind the wall plate where you hook up the TV, most likely with a small button you press that, when the amp is on, lights a small (probably green) light in the wall plate. In my Bounder this is inside a cabinet at the front, but could be most anywhere.

Assuming you have the usual Winegard batwing antenna, surrounding the crankup handle is a white plastic ring, with one spot serving as a pointer. Pulling down on that ring allows you to rotate it to hunt for better signals. Whether you can pick up OTA  just depends on where you are and which way your antenna is pointing. Don't forget (maybe with help of a checklist) to rotate the antenna back to its original position, then lower it, before leaving your site. Contact with trees, etc. does the antenna no good, of course.

With electrical hookup you won't need the inverter to watch TV. You'll only need one if you want to watch TV (or run another small appliance) when "shore power" is not available. The inverter is just a device to turn the 12V from your battery into 110V AC to power some devices needing household-style power. Of course they're limited in their capacities. Small ones can run from being plugged in to a DC (lighter type) plug. Bigger ones may need more permanent wiring. Many rigs already have them installed and attached to certain outlets, while with others it's an add on.

There is no real trick to pointing your antenna to find local stations. Just turn the antenna while the tv is displaying a channel. The picture will drop out if the antenna is not getting the signal and come in sharp when it is near optimum. Digital signals tend to be on or off, with not much variation in between.  The right antenna orientation for one channel may be  unusable for another that has its tower in another direction.

Larry covered the rest pretty well, so I won't elaborate further.

Thanks for explaining it to me :)  I can't wait to see how I do the next time I'm out in the trailer.  I feel ready to explore the TV aspect now especially after all the help offered on this site.

I'm the type that needs to take it one step at a time before moving onto the next object.  My sister doesn't always understand that before I go to "B" I need to master "A" or I will end up with a combination of both that works for neither.

Happy Holidays!
Terie

If all the above fails, open the door, walk over to any nearby rig, knock on the door, and ask for help.  We all have had to do that over the years, and I know very few, if any, RVrs who wouldn't be pleased to help out. 

Ed

I do believe there is a button on the digital converter  remote that if pressed will indicate signal strength. If you press the button you will see a sliding bar across the bottom of the TV screen indicating signal strength and then you can rotate the antenna to achieve max strength.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    If all the above fails, open the door, walk over to any nearby rig, knock on the door, and ask for help.  We all have had to do that over the years, and I know very few, if any, RVrs who wouldn't be pleased to help out. 

Ed
Lots of times you can just look to see where other RVs have their antenna pointed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom