Firearms in your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00RoadKing

If this has been discussed before I haven't seen it. My question is this: I live in NY and have a concealed carry permit, I have been told that I can take my guns with me (hand guns and long guns) when I travel as long as they remain in my RV as this is considered a dwelling. I know that laws differ from state to state and that some states will actually recognize my concealed carry permit from NY. I prefer to have a weapon on board when I travel and am curious if I can legally do it. Does anyone have knowledge of this or know where I can find it. Thank you

Do a web search.  There are a couple of pretty good books that totally cover this subject.

Note that crossing the border into Canada and Mexico are yet another set of rules.  I'm pretty sure Canada prohibits visitors from having hand guns but does permit long guns.  Mexico, I think, prohibits both.

Use the Search button to find lots of prior discussions on firearms.

Do a web search.  There are a couple of pretty good books that totally cover this subject.

I agree with the web search. But books are usually out of date by the time they are printed. There are so many jurisdictions (constantly changing the rules) that it's impossible to keep a book up to date. Each state is different and then counties and towns within the state add their variations. I recently read that he two states that are toughest on permits for carrying guns are California and Illinois. I thought New York wouldn't even let you keep one in your house. Try http://www.handgunlaw.us/

The January 2011 issue of Motorhome Magazine has an article about travelling with firearms in your RV.

You can try  this site.  Be aware that in many states the law varies from one city/county to the next. It can vary, somewhatl within a single jurisdiction. And enforcement can vary from one cop to another, down the road.

I have found it helpful to call the main office of the state police agency for helpful information, prior to any trip. All but one have been courteous and forthcoming. Some will even warn about local jurisdictions, with varying laws/ordinances.

Plan ahead as you go. That is, examine the law/rules where you plan to be tomorrow and next week. You will need to avoid some states in order to keep your sanity, and perhaps your freedom.

New York, your state, is one of the examples of a difficult state to travel while following the rules. Massachusets is impossible. Idaho is simple. In Idaho, where I live, you may carry as many guns as you wish, any way you wish except:

If you are in an incorporated city, a mining or logging camp, you must have a concealed carry permit to carry concealed. The permit can be from anywhere. Your New York permit will work just fine. You may carry a pistol on your hip or a rifle, slung on your shoulder, almost anyplace you wish to go. (open carry.) You can't carry a firearm into any courthouse or Federal building. You can carry into a law enforcement office if you are so inclined.

You need to be fully legally informed, wherever you go. It'll take some extra time out of your day. Good luck and study hard.

Ray D  ;D

Get informed, way better facts out there than wading through opinions in year old threads.  We have the folks that will carry and those that oppose it to those that don't care, but to get up to date info, do a web search. 

New info, is that since just after beginning of the year, you can carry within national parks, however, not into federal buildings.  Little stuff like that yiou need to be aware of.

Just remember, it is tough to add to the arsenol on the road.

In California you are allowed to have a handgun or rifle in your vehicle as long as the ammunition is stored and locked separately.

There is a book updated and published each year titled Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States.  It provides good information in addition to which states will recognize your permit.

Be aware that Washington D.C., IL, & WI are extremely sensitive

00RoadKing said:
I live in NY and have a concealed carry permit, I have been told that I can take my guns with me (hand guns and long guns) when I travel as long as they remain in my RV as this is considered a dwelling.

The dwelling thing may apply once you are parked in a campground, however it is a vehicle when on the road. 

CA, ammo locked and stored elsewhere.  hoping for a patient burgler!

Geo's book suggestion is a good one.  I have FL concealed carry, good for 39 states when I last checked. although CA not one.  While I am permitted to carry, I seldom do, and ecerything is stored, not so far that I couldn't get to it, but also keeping me OK most anyplace but CA.

For what it's worth:  federal credit card changes that went into effect this year included changes that allow NTL Park carry regulations to mirror those of the state. 

00RoadKing said:
If this has been discussed before I haven't seen it. My question is this: I live in NY and have a concealed carry permit, I have been told that I can take my guns with me (hand guns and long guns) when I travel as long as they remain in my RV as this is considered a dwelling. I know that laws differ from state to state and that some states will actually recognize my concealed carry permit from NY. I prefer to have a weapon on board when I travel and am curious if I can legally do it. Does anyone have knowledge of this or know where I can find it. Thank you
I think your concealed permit means nothing and kinda led everyone to read into the question.  I am interpreting that you want to have your gun(s) in your RV...not necessarily loaded lying on your lap while driving. lol    If I am correct, as I see it you have no worries throughout the US.  Even if the gun was loaded back in the bedroom, honestly what would be the big deal? Who would know?  Even if it 'technically' was illegal the intent was obviously not hostile nor terrorist like, so who would question it.  A second assumption I made is your not carrying military like semi/fully automatic weapons, etc....In that case state laws vary on weather you are even allowed to have them.
As mentioned earlier, you get in to crossing country boarders, its an entirely different ball game....
Just my .02 ;D

The best resource available on the web on this topic is:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

In addition to the maps they have summaries of state firearms laws.

There are many pitfalls and people have ended up in protracted legal battles over specifics of state laws.

Derby6 said:
I think your concealed permit means nothing and kinda led everyone to read into the question.  I am interpreting that you want to have your gun(s) in your RV...not necessarily loaded lying on your lap while driving. lol    If I am correct, as I see it you have no worries throughout the US.  Even if the gun was loaded back in the bedroom, honestly what would be the big deal? Who would know?  Even if it 'technically' was illegal the intent was obviously not hostile nor terrorist like, so who would question it.

Don't bet your freedom on it.  See for example:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/111025129.html

A Mobile RV

If you can drive your RV right now, it?s a vehicle. If you can start the engine and pull away it?s a vehicle and the laws are the same as a car. Keep you firearm unloaded, locked and stored in an outside compartment.

A Fixed RV

If your RV is fixed or attached so you can?t just drive away, laws have stated that you can be called a residence or a home. This means you are in a campground hooked up to water, sewer, electric and any others. You are no longer mobile without a bit of time to unhook all the stuff we RVers hook up. At this point, you can sit at your dinette with a loaded gun if you want to do so.

I guess we are just throwing the Constitution right out the window.  But I always take all my rifles with me just so if someone breaks in my house they will not steel them . I collect WW2 rifles and have a m16 and a AR15. I run a cable through them and lock it and have a outside compartment with a good uncuttable lock on it. I do keep my 45 in the motorhome. I keep a trigger lock for the places it has to be locked.
I have all the permits I need for all of them even a class 3 for the m16 but I did ask a GA State Patrol about the house or a vehicle thing, He told me from the back of the drivers seat forward was a vehicle and from the seat back was a home. If it is not broke up somehow you could have a open bottle of wine in the fridge and go to jail for a open container. Now if he would stand by that or not is another question. I guess I don't understand all the gun laws because they don't do any good to stop the people that are out here robbing other people, If someone is willing to shoot me to steal 20 bucks for some crack I don't think he's worried if he gets caught without a gun permit.
Just my 2 cents worth

mike eddleman said:
I guess we are just throwing the Constitution right out the window.  But I always take all my rifles with me just so if someone breaks in my house they will not steel them . I collect WW2 rifles and have a m16 and a AR15. I run a cable through them and lock it and have a outside compartment with a good uncuttable lock on it. I do keep my 45 in the motorhome. I keep a trigger lock for the places it has to be locked.
I have all the permits I need for all of them even a class 3 for the m16 but I did ask a GA State Patrol about the house or a vehicle thing, He told me from the back of the drivers seat forward was a vehicle and from the seat back was a home. If it is not broke up somehow you could have a open bottle of wine in the fridge and go to jail for a open container. Now if he would stand by that or not is another question. I guess I don't understand all the gun laws because they don't do any good to stop the people that are out here robbing other people, If someone is willing to shoot me to steal 20 bucks for some crack I don't think he's worried if he gets caught without a gun permit.
Just my 2 cents worth

I too try to abide by the law of the land and I appreciate everyone's rights to be free and safe.  I have numerous guns in my collection, some of which only close friends and family know about.  I have no intention of ever committing an illegal act with a firearm but if I ever had to use one to protect me or mine, and before I questioned my legal right in the act, I would remember that I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/ is a link from the NRA's website and you can click on a state and it will tell you all the gun laws in laymans terms. From carrying to storing to transporting.

Most states follow the GA approach with motorhomes - everything behind the driver seat is the house part and treated that way legally. But it is a state-level interpretation and may also vary with the circumstances.  I wouldn't want to test that by visibly waving a weapon around  in the rear area of a coach.

Back
Top Bottom