EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Firearms in your RV  (Read 20800 times)

Johnnybgood

• ---
Re: Firearms in your RV
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »
There are several sights that would be good to peruse. http://www.gunfacts.info delves into all the garbage that has been fed the public over the years by the media. The others have been mentioned here by others. Let me comment on a couple things if I may. The philly story: He was arrested because he made a statement to his mother that could have been construed as a suicidal statement. She called the police and told them what he said and that he had guns in his car. Viola. I work psych and can tell you that is all it takes to have your rights taken from you. Next. Canada and Mexico: they will not only take your guns but you will find yourself sitting in a jail cell.  Last thing. Know your rights and use them. The police can not search your vehicle without cause. If there is nothing in sight that is illegal to have in your possession they must ask to search your vehicle. The answer should always be NO. Polite, but a firm "Officer I do not give permission for a search of my vehicle". There is a great site to view concerning your rights. http://www.flexyourrights.org . Your rights, Use them or lose them. As far as carrying in your vehicle there is a federal law that if you are traveling through a state it is legal to have a weapon in your vehicle. Also see which states New York has reciprocity with. In these you only have to worry about those police who don't know the law or don't care. If you are arrested in these states a good lawyer is going to get you awarded about 50,000 dollars and their fees.

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 11:34:54 AM »
George and Ruth stated: "changes that went into effect this year included changes that allow NTL Park carry regulations to mirror those of the state. "

This also applies to Forest Service campgrounds.  For example handguns and other firearms are allowed in U. S. Forest Service campgrounds in Colorado now.  However the rules remains that no propellant of any kind may be fired within 400 yards of a Forest Service campground anywhere.

Smoky
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:38:03 AM by Smoky »
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

Robby9

• ---
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
I've had a concealed carry license for many years.  When taveling out my home state I will got to the official state websites for the states I'm traveling in and print a copy of their reciprocity list and toss it in my glove compartment.  While I've never needed to show a cop the list I've always thought it unreasonable to expect the officer to have which state's ccw's their state honors memorized.

MPI_Mallard

• ---
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 11:25:10 AM »
Canada takes a very dim view to bringing in firearms,with that being said i have a question,,considering that one stays where a person with a $100.000 + rv should is it really neccassary to be packin'? i've seen a few of these topics and never really asked this. i understand the American institution and tradition that is the right to bear arms but is it really needed in this lifestyle? As a Canadian i've never in my life felt threatened enough that i needed a gun to protect myself and frankly the thought of a someone next to me shooting a gun with me and mine behind 2" of fiberglass,foam and plywood is very un-nerving to say the least.

Happy New Year To All!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Green:
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word
meaning "I don't hunt so good."

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 12:58:04 PM »
rv should is it really neccassary to be packin'?

No. It is rarely necessary to be packin', for anybody. At one time, years ago, even cops didn't really need a gun. Many have gone through a carreer without ever drawing a gun for a gun-battle. Don't know the current stats. They are wisely trained to get their hands on a gun, sooner, these days.

,,considering that one stays where a person with a $100.000 + rv.....?

Has little or nothing to do with the issue. The value of the vehicle is not an issue. Where you are and what is going on, there and what you are doing - can be an issue. Common sense will do for the bulk of threats. In my case, the drug war came to my neighborhood and my home. I had little choice. Couldn't move for reasons too complex for this post. Had to fight or die.

Stay out of the "darker' streets and alleys and you solve most of your probems. (Darker streets and alleys came to me.)

Pistol Packin' Ray D  8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 01:05:43 PM by Ray D »
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

cpeters

• ---
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 01:19:02 PM »
(considering that one stays where a person with a $100.000 + rv)

Who is most likely to be robbed? A $100,000 rv or a tent trailer?

The perception should be that every RV is a home and is packing. Go rob and kill someone else!!
Charlie and Linda
2001 Dutch Star
2003 Jeep Rubicon
Oklahoma and the West

Derby6

• ---
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
Canada takes a very dim view to bringing in firearms,with that being said i have a question,,considering that one stays where a person with a $100.000 + rv should is it really neccassary to be packin'? i've seen a few of these topics and never really asked this. i understand the American institution and tradition that is the right to bear arms but is it really needed in this lifestyle? As a Canadian i've never in my life felt threatened enough that i needed a gun to protect myself and frankly the thought of a someone next to me shooting a gun with me and mine behind 2" of fiberglass,foam and plywood is very un-nerving to say the least.

Happy New Year To All!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Green:
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word
meaning "I don't hunt so good."

I go back to my original comment. Concealed Permit or simply in your RV???
Concealed I agree with you.
As already said

Who is most likely to be robbed? A $100,000 rv or a tent trailer?
and protection from wildlife is a concern in many areas....
2015 Ford Explorer (Wifes Ride)
2011 Ford F350 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab/Long Bed/SRW
2011 Honda Civic-- (Beater with a heater)
2007 28' Desert FOX Toy Hauler             
TOYS:
01 Yamaha Kodiak 400
09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
12 Yamaha Grizzly 450
13 Yamaha Rhino 700 (Wifes Ride)
13 & 14  144" & 155" SKI DOO

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »
"Wildlife", could be man or beast.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

Johnnybgood

• ---
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 01:59:22 AM »
For those of us who do carry concealed and keep a gun in our RV/Vehicle when traveling it is the same thing as having a fire extinguisher or Seat belt. They are tools. You don't have them because you are expecting to use them. In truth you hope you never do but if the time should come they are needed you have them at hand. Nobody expects to find themselves in a situation where they must defend themselves with lethal force. Most never will, Thank God. But more and more, violence is cropping up in places it has never happened before.  With the training that I and others have received it is drummed into our heads that you always know what is behind your target so as not to endanger others. We practice regularly so as to be able to place our shots where they are intended to go. Our defensive ammo is designed to stay in the target not go through and endanger anyone or thing that might be behind the target. We do not take the responsibility lightly. No one will ever know that I have a gun with or on me. Those of us who take this seriously, do not brag, swagger, or try to intimidate others. We quietly go about our day just like everyone else. If push comes to shove, we will take the push and the shove. Indeed even being knocked down and spit on and get up and walk away if possible. Because we realize that to reach for that weapon for anything other then defense of our lives, or the lives of others is unacceptable. We hold ourselves to a higher degree of responsibility. No offense, but that $100,000+ RV could one day be a neon sign beckoning that criminal who wants what you have and isn't concerned about your safety.

MPI_Mallard

• ---
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
I don't doubt that you would be dilligent in using your handgun however living across the river from De-troit we Canadians have seen the direct opposite on far too many occasions. i can't see a problem occurring in any RV campground that would require being armed but thats only my opinion and as far as wildlife is concerned i chased off a bear in Temagami Ontario using only bad language,i felt bad that i had to call his mom a $$$$$$$ $$$$$ but i had to do what i had to do!!!

Red Green:
 If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into
 a quart of vodka.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:39:39 PM by MPI_Mallard »

Orick

• ---
  • Went Full Time to Half Time but Still Fun Time
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 11:12:34 AM »
No one will ever know that I have a gun with or on me. Those of us who take this seriously, do not brag, swagger, or try to intimidate others. We quietly go about our day just like everyone else. If push comes to shove, we will take the push and the shove. Indeed even being knocked down and spit on and get up and walk away if possible. Because we realize that to reach for that weapon for anything other then defense of our lives, or the lives of others is unacceptable. We hold ourselves to a higher degree of responsibility. No offense, but that $100,000+ RV could one day be a neon sign beckoning that criminal who wants what you have and isn't concerned about your safety.

I respect and applaud your perspective on this.  I for one would feel safer rather than threatened if you were camping next to me.  Such is not the case with many who carry weapons.  I get really concerned with statements frequently made in threads such as this which echo themes such as:

* I won't take no cr*p from anyone....
* My gun goes where I go (including the driver's seat where stories are told of pointing it at rowdy guys perceived to be harrassing them)...
* I've had to pull my gun many times to keep tense situations from escalating...
* If your gun is locked and unloaded... you are not prepared...

These are just a sample of real paraphrased statements made on this and other forums regarding this topic.  I'm with Mallard in that I have never in my life been in a situation which would cause me to even think about pulling a gun so to some extent I'm sure one's life experiences shape their views on this but....

JMHO

Rick
Rick, Nancy, Peanut, Lola (Westies) & Bailey the Sheltie Dog
2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Ford Explorer Toad

bucks2

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »
JohnnyBGoods post is very similar to my way of thinking. Weapons are a tool to be used in the right place at the right time.

I've been to many fires in my 31 year career that people were not comfortable using a fire extinguisher on. They simply abandoned the area, and while there is nothing wrong with that approach, sometimes there was a large price to pay for leaving, because they left loved ones inside. Some people had to abandoned loved ones inside because fire extinguishers, hoses, etc. weren't available. Even though at the time they were willing to make an attempt at putting out the fire, they didn't have the resources. And some made a poor decision to use extinquishers at situations where they could not make a difference at and lost their lives because of it. And lastly, some people never even realize the danger they are in. How many people refuse to evacuate when ordered to at large events?

Most people will never see a situation where a weapon in needed. Most people will never see a situation where a fire extinquisher is needed. If you are comfortable that dialling 911 for emergencies is adequate, then you need neither weapons or fire extinquishers.

Some see situations where weapons or fire extinguishers are needed and are capable of making good decisions regarding their use. The key for me is knowing where I feel comfortable. Do I know how to use the tool properly, have control of myself, and am I able to read the situation properly. Because you aren't comfortable taking the hose and crawling into the burning building doesn't mean that others shouldn't.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
For the most part, I agree with bucks2 except...it is not too likely that a fire extinguisher is going to cause a fire accidentally, even in the hands of the untrained.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Brother Bear

• ---
  • Great Plains
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »
And here's mine...I'm 68 yrs old and have traveled the world, even worked in Taiwan and in Mexico and so far, the only handgun I have ever owned was a .22 cal CO2 pistol - Oh wait, that's not true.  I "carried" a .38 special while I was a small town marshal for about a year as part of the job.  Regardless, I have never found a need for deadly protection.  Too bad so many people feel otherwise.

Amen!  I'm glad I'm not the only one with this conviction. I've never owned a gun and likely never will.
Larry

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »
Fire extinguisher won't start a fire on purpose.  Analogy doesn't work.  I know what you are saying though, and like anything, from a gun to a power saw to the ginsu knives in the drawer.  need to be stored properly, treated with respect.  Fire extinguishers if handled improperly can hurt, how about a child pulling the trigger on a CO2?  Or even the dry, if aimed at their face, I don't know what could happen. 

I had never felt the need for a firearm until a couple years ago, getting ready to get on the road and not knowing where we may end up.  Rather have one and never need it than not have one and need it. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Johnnybgood

• ---
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2011, 01:09:46 AM »
Orick, Unfortunately there are those who think that having a gun gives them the ability to not take C***p from anybody and other situations like that. IF someone is using a gun to bolster their manhood they need to rethink why they have one. As far as pulling a gun to keep a tense situation from getting worse it would depend on the situation. If I am faced with 4 or more individuals who are threatening harm to my wife and myself I will not let them get close enough to follow through. In these situations just pulling your weapon is enough to get most criminal types to decide the grass is greener elsewhere. If I am just getting a verbal dressing down by someone who thinks they have been slighted, then no that is not a situation for pulling a weapon. Those who do are opening themselves up for some serious consequences. I understand many do not feel comfortable with firearms. That is the great thing about America. If you don't want one don't get one.

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »
I understand many do not feel comfortable with firearms. That is the great thing about America. If you don't want one don't get one.

And let's keep it this way.  Not if you don't want one, nobody gets one. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Orick

• ---
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2011, 10:53:39 AM »
And let's keep it this way.  Not if you don't want one, nobody gets one.

I agree and I don't think I've seen anyone suggest otherwise in this thread.

Rick
2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Ford Explorer Toad

Johnnybgood

• ---
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 11:58:11 AM »
Actually, I have been impressed. This is one subject that can bring out the worst in some people, but the conversation here as been nothing but civil. 

Orick

• ---
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 12:30:16 PM »
Actually, I have been impressed. This is one subject that can bring out the worst in some people, but the conversation here as been nothing but civil.

Very true.  It's a good discussion with a lot of good information.

Rick
2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Ford Explorer Toad

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 02:13:06 PM »
There is one issue that I haven't seen on this forum. In some states, ammo is an issue, particularly in the north eastern states. Hollow point ammo may be restricted. In some states/cities/countys mere possession is a crime. When you check the firearms laws, check the ammo laws as well. I use Federal, Hydroshock, Personal Defense Ammo. That's a brand name for their hollow points.

I also use Glasser Safety Ammo. More effective and more expensive than hollow points. It's a fragmenting ammo, that stops quickly in the target or breaks up upon hitting hard surfaces like the wall or a window of an RV. Less likely to penetrate and endanger innocent people. I don't know that it is legal, everywhere. Fragmenting ammo is something I would think the "banners" would want to ban. Don't know. Calling it "Safety Ammo" sounds good, so maybe it is less of a problem or maybe none at all.

Ray D  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:24:15 PM by Ray D »
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »
Ammo is getting a little scarce too.  Try to buy 38 special.  Must be the most popular out there.  I have been to Cabellas and found empty shelves.  Lots of new regulations and ideas on it. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 02:53:41 PM »
Pancake Bill: try small independent gun stores. I've had better luck there, myself. .38 special has been problematic for more than two years. "Hoarding," in fear of the Federal Government, is a big part of the problem and .38 is very popular.

Ray D  :(
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:56:52 PM by Ray D »

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »
I have, and bought some there.  Since I am away from home state I can't buy a handgun without all sorts of hoopla.  Unreal the laws regarding, you would think the 3-day plus a CC permit would be enough.  I can buy here, then they have to ship to my shop in FL who can then send back to me.  Craziness. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »
Many people avoid all the crap by NOT buying new or from a dealer.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »
That is a question I have about gun shows.  Can one just buy there?

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Rancher Will

• ---
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
You can buy firearms at gun shows, but the same laws apply as when purchased from any gun dealer.
In your home state, the seller must first get a legal background check before sellling the firearm to you.
You cannot buy any firearm at a gun show (or dealer) for any other person (illegal "Straw Purchase").
If you buy away from your home state, the same background check is required but the firearm must be shipped to a licences dealer in your home state for delivery.
In other words, there is no Gun Show loophole.

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 06:28:15 PM »
A trucker that was "packin" saved my life one night while going to work. Four "gentlemen" got out of their car in front of me and were threatening to have a little fun, trucker convinced them otherwise. Short story I'm packing now. Just because Disney is in the backyard doesn't mean everyone is like mickey mouse.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »
Rancher, I figured as much, but I hear offhanded comments about the gun shows.  I suppose it is not that big a deal.  Never been to a show, is there any advantage?  Better pricing?  Free red tape?  (shipping out and back)
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »
Come out to the wild west - Arizona - no permit, no training - heck if its made in Arizona, no background check. Oh you have to be a citizen and not a convicted felon, but then nobody is checking.

ken
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:14:01 PM by Ken & Sheila »
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Hosted by Over The Network