Firearms in your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill,

Not sure about WY but if it is made in MT, no check.  We still have the open carry law but no one really does it anymore, at least around the liberal bastion of Bozeman.  But then we just got rid of the open bottle law last year.

Some guys sell used weapons at gun shows as "private sale" rather than dealers, so they skirt some of the regulations. In most states, I can sell you my personal gun without rigamorole and the feds allow up to 10 sales/year before they classify you as a dealer. I'm sure some gun show "private sellers" buy and sell more than that, but they don't get caught unless somebody starts checking up.

Ken & Sheila said:
Come out to the wild west - Arizona - no permit, no training - heck if its made in Arizona, no background check. Oh you have to be a citizen and not a convicted felon, but then nobody is checking.

Arizona has an open carry law but, you can't purchase a gun here unless you are resident of Arizona.

PhilB

There are hundreds of "gun laws" in the 50 states. To find the requirement in any state, then check that state.

There is also a Federal "Gun Law" that applies in every state. In my previous post, I referred to the Federal Law. It is true that under a specific condition, under Federal Law, a sale/purchase of a firearm between two persons is permitted, provided the sale is to a person lawfully permitted to own a firearm. There are restrictions such as under age, felons, mental conditions, etc.

Also, as I mentioned above, any commercial sale/purchase must abide by Federal law that requires a background check and if the sale is made out of the home state of the buyer, the firearm, after approval from the background check, must be shipped to a BATF Licensed dealer in the home state. This law applies to any commercial sale, Gun store, Gun show, Gun Smith, any commercial deal. A sale between a buyer and any seller at a Gun Show where the seller has a booth or commercial table is a commercial sale. An isolated person who just contacts another isolated person, neither one in the business of buying or selling, has been determined by case law to be between private individuals. BATF regulations are strict on this.

There are some states, and local areas, that have more strict requirments than just the Federal Law. Illinois and California are just two state examples. There are also City Laws that are more strict than Federal Law also.

Although I am now retired, I have had numerous experiences for numerous people on this subject while I was in Police Work over 41 years, while dealing with BATF agents, dealers, and gun buyers and sellers.

Just retired from large metro PD in CA after 30 years as a cop.  Some of the above info is good, some bad.  Gun laws vary from state to state, with NY, NJ, and several other anti-gun N/E states being very restrictive.  ConcealedCarry.org, and several other CCW web sites have state by state laws.  Some states allow "open carry", meaning loaded on the dash is ok, some even under the seat is ok, but not on your person.  It is fairly easy to obtain either a Utah or Florida CCW, which allows loaded CC on your person/veh in about 30 states that have reciprocity, CA of course doesn't recognize any one else's CCW.  Most states (key word "most") have no law restricting a loaded weapon (rifle/shotgun/handgun)  in the living area of your RV....however, there are many restrictions on the area that is immediately under the driver's, and/or passenger's control, i.e. the cab.  National and State parks are the exception.  In California, if you don't possess a valid CA CCW (state permit but issued by the counry Sheriff or City Chief of Police), any concealable firearm (handgun) must be kept in a LOCKABLE container OTHER than the glovebox, with the ammo separately.  A loaded magazine, if it's with the weapon in the same box, can be considered as the weapon being loaded if the officer wants to push the issue....again this DOES NOT apply to the living area of your RV, or temporary camp site, both of which are considered your residence at that time.    Most officers in most states, are not going to hassle mom & pop RV'ers no matter where the weapon is in the vehicle, as long as you're not doing something stupid like brandishing it to scare the guy in the next lane who just cut you off.  Remember I said "MOST".    No one should ever even know you have it, unless you need it.....and if you end up needing it....a misdemenor charge of carrying it will be the LEAST of your problems. I'm a very pro-gun guy, but I''ll offer one last piece of advice.....don't carry a gun, unless.........
#1: You spend the time to become proficient with it. It's a perishable skill, so practice, practice, practice shooting and reloading.   
#2:  You''ve already made the decision that you WILL use it if necessary.  Many people are able.....but most are not willing.    Moral, legal, and liability issues should all be a part of your decision making proccess to carry a gun, so that if, God forbid, that time ever comes, you won't hesitate for those few second which can cost you or your spouse your life.
#3:  Once that hammer drops, there's no calling the bullet back....no "time out"  Be sure of your target and the background.  Hope this helps and happy RVing.

#3:  Once that hammer drops, there's no calling the bullet back....no "time out"  Be sure of your target and the background.  Hope this helps and happy RVing.

That reminds me of one of my favorite movie lines from " unforgiven"

The Schofield Kid: [after killing a man for the first time] It don't seem real... how he ain't gonna never breathe again, ever... how he's dead. And the other one too. All on account of pulling a trigger.
Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

Back
Top Bottom