RV Lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skirk55

My wife and I are looking into purchasing a lot to use as snowbirds. We looked at the cost, maintenance fee and taxes. They are far less than the taxes and maintenance we do to our house.  We thought with the way our economy is doing now we can get one for a good price. I was wrong! They did not go down. What has anyone that owns a lot thinks about the purchase of one? Is it better to rent than own? We rent a seasonal now and every year the cost increases around $200.00 

We bought a lot in Texas several years ago and feel it was an excellent investment.  Although there are continuing expenses, like water, electric, and taxes, it's still cheaper than renting a site by the month.  And we have a lot more room (.6 acres) and great neighbors.

We spend around $4000 per season now and we own nothing! We like Florida. RV Lots we look at are around $80,000 and then Maintenance fees.  This fall we spent two days at a resort we read about and it was the best place we have ever experienced. The facility was unbelievable! We met very nice people from all over. It was so nice just being there. This gave my wife and I a big idea SELL THE HOUSE and enjoy. One problem what is with the alligators in the lake? I never saw gators when fishing. This was the first time in over 30 years I ran that fast! But what a beautiful resort. To think it cost less than Disney Campground. We are going back this fall.

I am trying to sell my motorhome and had a guy email me about a trade. He owned 2 lots in the north Ga. Mountains set up for RVs . He wanted to trade one. It had everything ready to go the whole set up. It was a great deal except for the fact if I traded he would be on one lot in the RV and I would be setting on the ground with a cooler and my Droid, the 2 dogs and a very mad wife

Depends where and the cost.

I rent a spot for 1400$ per year (well 6 months of camping), access to a lake (300 feet with only two trailer between me and the lake, they are off to a side, so I have a view of the water), my beach cat on the beach ready to go.

If I was to buy a waterfront lot or water access lot, I'd be looking at:
- 50000 to 200000$ for the lot depending on property
- 10000$ for a well
- 10000$ for a septic system (if approved)
- 5000 to 10000$ for an electrical entrance depending how far from the road
- 1000$ to 4000$ per year in property tax depending on appraised value

Sometimes, it's cheaper to find an old cottage that is only good to be demolished because at least it will already have a well, septic and an electrical entrance.

The property tax alone would be more than what I pay in rent for a lot.  In NB, we have municipal and provincial property tax.  The provincial tax is waived on the primary residence, but not on the others, so recreational property is taxed twice.

Do your homework and find all the costs of owning VS the cost of renting, the numbers will tell you what's best for you.

Where I am in Florida you can get a modest house on a 1/4 acre lot for $80k. Yeah, it's a double wide. Taxes maybe $450/year, water & electric are whatever you use. More than a few snowbirds use them, some with Rvs and some not.

We have less than $40,000 in our lot, including aerobic septic system, 2 full hookup sites and a shed.  Taxes are about $366/year, maintenance fee is $150/year.

Thus far, we have decided to rent rather than buy so we have the flexibility to go many places.  We're probably open to a purchase but that would only be if we found a place we were sure we'd like to spend a lot of time in AND wanted to invest in significant improvements in the site.  We have found that, in retirement, we aren't as concerned about "owning" things as we once were.  We have a very reasonable budget for CG fees year round and so long as we're within shouting distance of that figure we find we're not so concerned about owning an RV site to pass on to our hiers.

Good Luck...

Rick

We still travel about 6 months or more a year.  The lot is part of our exit strategy as well as a place to spend some of the winter.

I should say that I could get a cheaper lot that in my earlier post, but as a weekender, camping is my cottage, so I want the water.  I could get a cheap wooded lot no problem, but I would not want to camp there.

If I would make the jump to buy a lot like I described in my earlier, it would be with plans to build a cottage on it, but with the floods from last week, I think I prefer to rent a nice spot in the summer to put my trailer and haul it out before storm season.

Wife and I own an RV lot in N. Palm Springs. Have owned it for about 2 yrs. Lot is 45 ft.wide by 55 ft deep. 18 by 18 parking pad and a 8 by 12 ft Tough shed. Has 50 and 30 amp hookups and two dump pipes. Cost was 37000 and monthly fees are 200. Very active comunity. Has Large pool and 4 Pickelball courts. The guys golf every tues and fri. Weather is fantastic. Keep rig here from Oct to May when it starts to get hot. Own a stick house in Ventura. If you want more info you can Google Two Springs Resort in Desert Hot springs, Calif. Also you own the lot but dont have to pay any taxes. Good Luck Bob S.

Bob Schultz said:
Wife and I own an RV lot in N. Palm Springs. Two Springs Resort in Desert Hot springs, Calif. Also you own the lot but dont have to pay any taxes. Good Luck Bob S.

Two Springs is a nice spot (once you get used to the windmill shadows passing over your rig). They'll give you 3 free nights to look at the property and there's no sales pressure at all. Of course, the one problem with the park is that because of county law, you can only stay on "your" lot 9 months out of the year. Now granted, who would want to stay in Palm Springs in July and August, but it's still something to consider.

Wendy

Of course, the one problem with the park is that because of county law, you can only stay on "your" lot 9 months out of the year.

Wendy, I learn something new every day.  I have an RV lot in Indio (just down the road from Palm Springs, for those not familiar with the area) and I didn't know about the 9 months rule.  Do you know what is the purpose of that? I agree, I wouldn't want to stay there in the summer, but curious why the rule.

caltex said:
Wendy, I learn something new every day.  I have an RV lot in Indio (just down the road from Palm Springs, for those not familiar with the area) and I didn't know about the 9 months rule.  Do you know what is the purpose of that? I agree, I wouldn't want to stay there in the summer, but curious why the rule.

It may have been something peculiar to this particular RV park. It has something to do with you having the site for "recreation," not for a "residence" which has something to do with Riverside County regulations (higher taxes maybe?).

Wendy You are correct. The 9 mo. rule is to keep the park as a resort and not a residential area. You can keep your rig here for 12 mo. but you are not suppose to occupy for more than 9 mo. I sure wouldnt want to spend the summer in the rig if I didnt have to anyway.We travel for two or three mo. in the summer fishing an camping in No. Calif and Ore.  Bob S.

I new nothing of this and now I need to find out more about this. We want a place to get out of the northern weather. I know we will stay in Va. for the summer. This is close to the kids 4 hrs if I drive 3 hrs if my wife drives! I stop for coffee she wants to keep going.

The 9 month rule is not unique to California. It also exist in Washington State. K/M Resorts has lots they sell up in Washington and though that is the law, people who own them say it is not enforced.

Our campground in Va. has that 9 month rule I found out due to this forum. My wife and I go back for the Christmas parade and the new year. That is it we see people still there when we go and I like that because we have had many brake in's and stuff ripped off. They took my new gas bottles and put there old tanks in place!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom