Merry Christmas to all my engineer friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's so funny!  I worked with a great bunch of ceramic engineers at Kaiser's research lab.  They would have analyzed the microstructure of the refractory bricks lining the fireplace.  ;D ;D

Margi

I so hope Jim Godward picks up on this thread.  He would provide such wonderful, explicit answers to my questions early on in our RVing life when we met face to face. 

At the moment he "lost us", his wife Pat and I would just roll our eyes and Jim would grin his engineering grin and attempt to simplify.  What fun!

Margi

As an accountant, I'm busy crunching numbers to make sure those pesky engineers don't have massive cost overruns......

Wendy

Margi,

It still happens, Pat rolls  her eyes a lot but not as much as she used too.  Either I am getting better at explaining, NOT, or she is learning, NOT, or she just doesn't listen, yes!!

Looking at this drawing reminds me of the problem my son is having with Orange County.  They want him to build a retaining wall that would retain a mud slide and he lives on a hill that is bedrock sandstone.  He has an existing wall that is just stacked blocks that hasn't moved, wiggled or anything else in over 10 years but just continue to stand there in all the rain etc. that has occurred the last week or so.

This drawing was obviously drawn by Government "engineers" who know nothing about setting up a Christmas tree and think they are building a skyscraper!!!

Marsha, I will have to get the requirements for the wall they want and show to Tim so he can have a good chuckle next year when we come south.  I hope by then the new wall to reasonable standards will be done then.  Tell Tim that the required equations for the wall they want built results in imaginary numbers and we don't know how to do that except in Electrical Engineering.

Jim Godward said:
He has an existing wall that is just stacked blocks that hasn't moved, wiggled or anything else in over 10 years but just continue to stand there in all the rain etc. that has occurred the last week or so.

I'm guessing his wall isn't the one they've been showing on the San Diego news that slide down into the guy's house ?

Wendy

Jim, be sure and bring it, he will get a kick out of it.  Tim is a Civil Engineer and a registered/profession one at that.; a P.E.  He has the stamp and everything........ ;D

You should have seen them cringe when they had to put a retaining wall around 2 sides of our place when it was being built.  He started doing calculations to check the contractor and to check the county.  The dang thing is built like a fortress.  The footers are so far out and so deep I can't plant any thing against the wall. 

Marsha~

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Merry Christmas to all engineers.  ;D ;D

That "subject" line sure got my attention.  I can hardly wait to see the "Top Assembly Drawing" showing how the whole Xmas system ties together...plus all the tooling and fixture drawings... in AutoCad 3D of course.

Thanks for thinking of "us"...the ASME would be proud.

Approved: ______________________________
                  Gary Ferguson, PE, retired.

"It still happens, Pat rolls  her eyes a lot but not as much as she used too.  Either I am getting better at explaining, NOT, or she is learning, NOT, or she just doesn't listen, yes!!"

Those of us who love engineers understand completey.  ;D ;D ;D

Margi,

Maybe that is why she gave me the can holder that says,"My wife says " I never listern to her" or something like that".  Or maybe it is the plaque that says "Never but never question the Engineer's judgement".    ;)

Back
Top Bottom