toll roads I-95 corridor Florida to New England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kchadw1944

I recently made a trip from Fl. to New England along I 95...and was quite surprised at the cost of tolls especially up in the Va, Md, De.,NJ,NY area...I might add, I was pulling a tow dolly with car..Is there a good route to avoid many of these ?  Some of them just seem to be a rip off...and when I'd ask for a receipt...I'd get a look like " do you think I'm a crook and stealing your money in toll charges "  lol.. I remember up around Delaware, I think I paid over $30.00 for a few miles of travel...I would think that truckers and other Rv'rs would know of a less expensive route...thanks..btw...I always ask for a receipt...I once took my car over the G. Wash. Bridge and paid the toll...but within a month, I got a letter with picture of my car, going over the bridge stating I didn't pay my toll,  and was fined for it...no way to prove that I paid without that receipt..

We do the reverse every fall.  Unless there is a storm brewing, we come down I 95 from Bangor to the 495, about $10 in tolls if you take the 295 Augusta to Portland.  The 290 to the 90 (Mass Pike) to I84 (another small toll) Stay on 84 to 81 past Washington.  You can cross at I66 to the 17 to Richmond, or we prefer staying on 81 through the gorgeous Shenandoah Valley, and we ofter take I77 to southern Georgia, back onto I95.  You minimize tolls, miss all that Washington to NY traffic, and see much nicer scenery.  It adds about 75/100 miles to our trip, but well worth it.

Ed

There is a road that parallels I 95 on the east side from the northern border of Maryland,around Philadelphia and up toward NJ.  No tolls and a nicer road than I95.  You might google map it and see if it works for you. 

It is also possible to bypass nearly all of Virginia by coming down the eastern shore of Delaware and Maryland and across the bridge into VA Beach.  I've only been north of US 50 and can't speak to the Southern half but from what I have seen it is a nice drive.  Expect it to take somewhat longer.  You are on a straight but occassionaly traffic signal heavy highway, not an interstate.

kchadw1944 said:
when I'd ask for a receipt...I'd get a look like " do you think I'm a crook and stealing your money in toll charges "  lol.. .....  btw...I always ask for a receipt...I once took my car over the G. Wash. Bridge and paid the toll...but within a month, I got a letter with picture of my car, going over the bridge stating I didn't pay my toll,  and was fined for it...no way to prove that I paid without that receipt..
I'm with you on that one.    The only toll road in western Canada always automatically gave you a receipt.    BTW when they built the highway they said it would be paid in 25 years.  As it was built for Expo 86 in Vancouver the 25 years was up a year or two ago.  Much to my surprise they removed the toll booths. 

Rt 13 in DelMarVa is great, there is a toll on the bypass somewhere on it, I don't remember where, but there is also the pretty big toll on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.  Cool route, the bridge tunnel is fun, but the toll is up around $20 plus.

mike eddleman said:
Going to Disney last year I had to pay double toll in Florida because I was towing a truck behind the RV

I must be getting Alzheimers early because I don't recall a toll anywhere on the I-95 in Florida....

I will second Ed's route, I run up and down from MA to GA where the stick house now is and 81 is pleasant much less traffic and no tolls after Mass Pike.
Jim

Dan T said:
There is a road that parallels I 95 on the east side from the northern border of Maryland,around Philadelphia and up toward NJ.  No tolls and a nicer road than I95.  You might google map it and see if it works for you. 
I live in Delaware, and I can't figure out what road you are mentioning. Starting from the "northern border of Maryland" going north, on I-95 you will pay a toll at the MD/DE border, but to avoid that you would have to move west over to US1, not a good alternative. Or move to the east to US 40, which is feasible but probably not worth the extra lights and distance. North of that MD/DE toll, there are no further tolls on I-95 in Delaware or Pennsylvania, or north to northern NJ. I-95 does pass through Philadelphia. Perhaps you are thinking of the New Jersey Turnpike (toll), where the free I-295 parallels it for quite a way. Both of those bypass Philadelphia and are an alternative to I-95, but to use either you would pay a toll at the Delaware Memorial Bridge to get from Delaware to New Jersey.

It's worth mentioning that you still cannot go from New York (or further north) to PA or DE (or further south) while staying on I-95. That's because I-95 still has a "missing link" in north-central New Jersey. Because of this, most travelers use the NJ Turnpike (in NJ) and I-295 (in Delaware) to connect I-95 in Delaware and I-95 in NJ. Very confusing.

Bill Halberstadt
Newark, DE

I must be getting Alzheimers early because I don't recall a toll anywhere on the I-95 in Florida....

Sorry Diehard, I came in on the other side. Went down the turnpike. I knew we would have to pay a toll but didn't think I had to pay a double toll because I was towing a small truck behind me

halberstadt said:
I live in Delaware, and I can't figure out what road you are mentioning. Starting from the "northern border of Maryland" going north, on I-95 you will pay a toll at the MD/DE border, but to avoid that you would have to move west over to US1, not a good alternative. Or move to the east to US 40, which is feasible but probably not worth the extra lights and distance. North of that MD/DE toll, there are no further tolls on I-95 in Delaware or Pennsylvania, or north to northern NJ. I-95 does pass through Philadelphia. Perhaps you are thinking of the New Jersey Turnpike (toll), where the free I-295 parallels it for quite a way. Both of those bypass Philadelphia and are an alternative to I-95, but to use either you would pay a toll at the Delaware Memorial Bridge to get from Delaware to New Jersey.

It's worth mentioning that you still cannot go from New York (or further north) to PA or DE (or further south) while staying on I-95. That's because I-95 still has a "missing link" in north-central New Jersey. Because of this, most travelers use the NJ Turnpike (in NJ) and I-295 (in Delaware) to connect I-95 in Delaware and I-95 in NJ. Very confusing.

Bill Halberstadt
Newark, DE

It's been a long time since I've done it but I believe I was referring to 295 and the Jersey Turnpike from North of Philadelphia to Wilmington.  I took it South to North a coupe of times and found it much more pleasant than I 95. 

Also it's possible to go down the Eastern Shore of Maryland all the way to the Chesapeake Bridge tunnel into the Virginia Beach area.  I've never been over that bridge but I've been up and down a good part of the Eastern Shore and it's a pleasant rural drive for the most part.  Don't be in a hurry if you pick this route.

Dan
Edit: Fixed quote.

mike eddleman said:
Going to Disney last year I had to pay double toll in Florida because I was towing a truck behind the RV

When towing in Florida the total tolls are three times the cost of the MH. If you pay $1 for the MH the cost of the toad is $2 giving a total of $3.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me I recall not taking the Chesapeake Bridge tunnel once because they prohibit vehicles carrying propane.  Be sure to check all the bridges and tunnels before settling on a route in that area.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom