Dome vs Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

I'm sure this question has been asked many times and I did go and read some of the older threads but thought I might get some updated answers.  Which is better dome satelite or dish on top of mh?  I've been told that with the dome hd is only availble with Dish Network, so that kind of limits that one.  Which one is preferred?  I did read where most prefer Direct TV, which rules out the dome, I'm thinking?

Depends on what you want.  In motion will require a dome.  If you don't care about in motion then get a HD dish for Directv.

You're correct about only getting HD on a dome with Dish Network.  A dish antenna will have better reception in marginal conditions, like rain, as it's larger than the antenna in a dome.  The only advantage of a dome is for in motion, otherwise the dish is a better choice.  If you want HD and DirecTV, then the only option is a dish.

The other advantage of a dome is that you don't have to stow it when you leave the campsite. Some people have a tendency to forget to stow things and that's a major Ooops! with an antenna or open face dish.

The new Winegard Sk3005 dish for Direct TV can be installed with a connection to the run terminal of the ignition switch so it will automatically stow when the ignition key is turned on.

I have an appointment to have one installed in Jan and have not decided if I want that feature or not.
I can envision times when the key could be turned on and I wouldn't want the dish to stow. On the other hand, even with a check list things can get overlooked sometimes.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that one.  I think of it as one more thing to go wrong.  I have a friend who once told me that when I was buying my first MH, I was buying an RV (repair vehicle) and ever since he said that, I've had one thing or another go wrong.  Guess you can't help it when your house is going down the road with a 10 point earthquake going on all the time!!!  LOL  But, to be serious, I had the dish that had to be stowed, and when we were closing up, it was always one of the first things I did, turned the TV off and stowed the dish.  Got to be routine....

I've been contemplating getting one for the C class I have, I bought a new tv to install and the wife was happy with that but then we started thinking
about having TV....... and not the Digital broadcast stuff, so were back on the market, its amazing that something free could cost so much in a few
months hah.

We had a dome very briefly (installed by mistake at the factory) and changed it within a few weeks.  During that time we went to the coast and the dew wiped out the signal every morning.  The worst part was that Jerry had to get up on the wet roof to wipe off the dome.  Not a good idea!  We're very happy with our dish and have DirecTV with HDTV.

ArdraF

There are basically 3 systems
Dome
Roof mounted dish
Ground mounted dish

All 3 have advantages and disadvantages

Domes are solo LNB (Single or dual, but just one of them) this means they can see ONE satellite at a time,, Some of them are capable of rapidly switching from one bird to another and thus work well with a DISH NETWORK receiver, both sd and hd, but ... Read on.. Some work in motion, others do not.

A SINGLE can run ONE and only one receiver  A DUAL can run multiple receivers or a DVR (Dual means dual output) however with DISH, you are restricted to one satellite at a time.

With DirecTV,, you can get SD (Non-HD) transmissions off 101 but NOT the HD transmissions on the other two KA band birds  (Different frequency band, the LNB is not compatable)

Rooftop DISH... With a rooftop DISH you can only use it when parked, However since you buy the dish that matches the Sat-TV service you subscribe to there is no problem with either DirecTV or DISHnetwork, either SD or HD, because you buy the proper Dish.

ALL ROOF TOP  systems==== Do not work if you are parked under the evil signal eating tree.. Thus I recommend a cheap A/B switch in the LNB line(s) A=the dome/dish on the roof up A-bove, and b is for a connector in the Basement or Bulkhead down B-elow.

Ground mount dishes.. See rooftop dishes for what they can do plus if you have enough cable you can set them up out away from the evil signal eating tree (Thank you Charlie Brown for the tree name)

Disadvantage: Storage and set up.  Additional advantage COST! (Almost none)

Back
Top Bottom