cummins computer diag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustydog

I have a 02 Ultimate Advantage 36C  with Spartan chassis.  Cummins 8.3L  ISC  350hp  with Allison trans.
Anyone know where the diagnostic connector for the trans and computer is located?

I had it at a repair facility this past week and they were unable to locate the connector. Looked in the usual places - under dash, in engine compartment.  I did see a couple processor units mounted in the engine compartment on the front bulkhead (easily accessed by removing bed and engine cover from inside) but did not see the Cummins connector.  There is a computer under the dash in front of steering column but still no connector....

I have a 02 Ultimate Advantage 36C  with Spartan chassis.  Cummins 8.3L  ISC  350hp  with Allison trans.
Anyone know where the diagnostic connector for the trans and computer is located?

Dusty

My TS is on a Spartan chassis built January, '02. The plug was underneath the dashboard near the base of the steering wheel column. Spartan may be able help find it.

On my '03 UA, searching by hand under the dash for the CB wires I found a computer connection cap ...loose.  I never pursured finding the connector, but I found the cap in the wiring up to the left of the steering column.  I agree that a call to Spartan may be the best course.

Thanks for the tips,  was yours a standard round connector or a flat connector?

afchap - looked over your website,  some excellent info posted.  Thanks

Hi,
I believe there is a standard that says these must be located adjacent to the steering wheel. That said; it still took me over an hour to find mine (above and slightly to the right - very slightly).
Ernie

afchap said:
  The cap I found was round ...

http://www.pjrider.com/Cap1.jpg
http://www.pjrider.com/Cap2.jpg

That is the connector plug for your engine ECM, Mine has one in the back by the radiator and one under the dash to the left of the steering column
02 Winnebago Journey w/cummins ISB 5.9

UPDATE:  I contacted Spartan and was told the diag connector was in the engine compartment - right hand side.  Went to mh to try and locate it and it was there.  Unfortunately, you have to have very long arms to reach it or access it by removing the bed and open the engine cover.    This location makes a little more complicated to run live diagnostics while driving. 

Anyone aware of an extension cable for this?

I have a 2002 Spartan Mountain Master GT chassis and there was a second diagnostic plug under the dash near the steering wheel column. Check with Winnebago, they should be able to tell you where they put it, but it usually is in that area.

If  your chassis was built around the same time as mine (2002 Spartan MM under 40J Ultimate Advantage) then its possible that your forward engine diagnostic connector is under your left foot rest, on the drivers side, where mine is.

You have to wrap yourself around the steering wheel, between the seat and steering column and look under that rest towards the outer wall.  That's where I found mine.

It should be a round 6pin or 9pin deutsch connector.  It is definitely NOT handy but it's easier (once you get it uncovered) than having to use the one in the engine compartment.

I'm still looking for the connector under the foot rest.  I made the trip to the storage lot yesterday to try and find it. Didn't have any luck yet (hard to get in the tight areas - messed my back up a couple weeks ago) 
It seems the more I look for something the more questions I have.  While looking for the connector I found a rocker switch.
All I could see on  the switch was a sticker that said ABS.  So I took a picture of the switch and found it to be 3 switches labeled Test, diagn and ABS (see picture)  this is located under the left foot rest and attached to firewall.  Any idea what this is for?

Attachments

• mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 43
I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's the diagnostic switches for the ABS.  I don't have any experience with them.  Sorry about your back.  But it took a contorsionist move by me to find my Cummins port.  And it was purely by accident.

ua40j said:
I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's the diagnostic switches for the ABS.  I don't have any experience with them.  Sorry about your back.  But it took a contorsionist move by me to find my Cummins port.  And it was purely by accident.
I found it!!! Thanks "UA40J"  I was sooo close when I located the diag switches.  I pulled the cover off and found the diag port in the same block as the diag switches but just to the left behind a harness.  Why would they mount an access port in and hard to access area?

Attachments

• Img_3762.jpg
    Img_3762.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 20
It escapes me why they put it there.  I suspect it was installed by Spartan per their design layout for Winnebago, but since Winnebago didn't have any plans for it other than a secondary access to the engine/transmission bus, it just got built over by all the other stuff.

I use a Road Relay and it's connected via a 45' cable from the connector on the engine.  Some time in the future, I plan on removing that cable and running the RR4 from this connector.  That will free up the plug on the engine for the engine techs.

Back
Top Bottom