Anti Virus Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

I have used Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro plus the free stuff and finally settled on Bit Defender which I like. Well, I got my wife a netbook for Christmas and a free installation of Kaspersky came with it. Never heard of Kaspersky before and am wondering how it is compared to the others. Should I try it or not?

Kaspersky gets good reviews, but why not use the free AVG?

Avast Free home edition, but you want one of the older versions (they're still kept up to date and have a better interface + more options) than the new versions.
I trust it religiously.

One of the better free AV programs today is Microsoft Security Essentials.  In tests it is as effective as the others and is less intrusive.

I don't trust any software from microsoft that is designed to safeguard their crummy operating systems..... If I could get a computer to be 100% Linux stable I would use that.

Kaspersky gets good reviews and I know one person on their team so yes I'd recommend them.

A couple of months ago I got a virus, one that directed my browser to certain websites without my input.  They were two sites that were little more than search engines for purchases.  I had McAffee and it could not remove the virus.  It detected it, but could not remove it.  I downloaded Avast and that program immediately cleared up my computer.  I love this program.  Better than AVG which I was using on my laptop until I found Avast.

A few months ago I switched from AVG to Avira.  It doesnt seem to be as obtrusive, and found it malware on my step-daughters computer that AVG didnt.
Paul

Well, once again, I'll defend the Microsoft product.  I've had Security Essentials now for almost 2 years, after dumping Norton because it was sooo intrusive I could hardly do anything.  I have yet to have a virus issue using it, and you rarely ever even know it's running.  Easy to use, and it works.

BruceinFL said:
Never heard of Kaspersky before and am wondering how it is compared to the others. Should I try it or not?

I originally had a 6 month trial version of it on my Netbook which just expired a few days ago so I had BestBuy remove the old version and install the new version for me.  I don't use the Netbook much but I'm happy with Kaspersky and intend to change over to it on my desktop computer.  I have found that most Anti Virus programs work well until I try to install the renewal version.  From what I understand is that there can be old files mixed with new files and conflicts can occur. 

Ned said:
One of the better free AV programs today is Microsoft Security Essentials.  In tests it is as effective as the others and is less intrusive.
Except it ignores most Trojans. They are a lot more common than most think. To get rid of Trojans I use Loaris Trojan Removal. Download the free version here to see if you have Trojans. It also easily gets rid of those phony anti-virus programs that are quite common these days (such as Antivirus Live), that MSE won't touch.

It will let you know if you have Trojans for free, but it costs money to fix them. But the program works very well and is easy to use.

I bet there will be a lot of surprises on how many here have Trojans without realizing it.

-Don- SF, CA

Luca1369 said:
A couple of months ago I got a virus, one that directed my browser to certain websites without my input.  They were two sites that were little more than search engines for purchases.  I had McAffee and it could not remove the virus.  It detected it, but could not remove it.  I downloaded Avast and that program immediately cleared up my computer.  I love this program.  Better than AVG which I was using on my laptop until I found Avast.

Yup, I have tried many programs but Avast seems to be pretty decent. Unless you are in the shady side of the web doing stupid things  you'll be ok. Norton is a joke, however recommends it should be slapped.

DonTom said:
To get rid of Trojans I use Loaris Trojan Removal. Download the free version here to see if you have Trojans.
Uninstalled.  It found at least 20 false positives before I cancelled it.  One of which was a 300 byte log file which had, among a bit of other text a string with a program name and the .exe extension.    The other 19 were all programs I've been running for years.    Some of which are open source.

Tony_Alberta said:
Uninstalled.  It found at least 20 false positives before I cancelled it.  One of which was a 300 byte log file which had, among a bit of other text a string with a program name and the .exe extension.    The other 19 were all programs I've been running for years.    Some of which are open source.
Me, too - uninstalled.  It found 43 false positives.  Nearly all were pdf files I had created for our fire dept several years ago.

AverageBOB said:
They do that to get you to buy the full version or only fix 2 errors at a time with each scan :eek:
Sure, but these weren't problems.  I know exactly what those programs do.  And I have an outgoing firewall so I monitor what programs hit the Internet.. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom