Cold Weather Living`

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

We are in cold weather, between early and end of season in Yellowstone, and this winter at Grand Canyon. 
We are insulated pretty well, have dual-pane windows, and the rig stays comfortable, but we are having issues with condensation.  DW likes the silver mylar bubble sheets on the windows, but wow, condensation city.  My thought is it is too close, no air around it.  We are taking them down during the day and that seems to help.  We also have 2 skylights, one over tub, and one in hallway, the hallway one is a single sheet dome, and is getting condenstaion too. 

Of course, because of the dryness here she is running a small humidifier at night, this is not helping the condensation cause, but it is more comfortable for her sinus. 

Any ideas?  hints, tips etc?

Anyone try the clear sheets on the window frames where you hit it with a hair dryer to shrink tight?  Think that may help? 

Sealing up your unit so there is no air flow is very unhealthy.

Bill,

You might be in a Catch-22 situation because of the sinus issues. We use the bubble stuff, spent a month in Taos late (and cold), and are not having hardly any moisture issues, even here in the Florida Panhandle now.

I suspect the humidifier is most of the issue, because even with the shower and laundry going (albeit running the roof vents for a few minutes), we are still not introducing so much moisture that we sweat inside.

Cooking a lot, maybe?

Kim

We use those clear sheets on the 2 single-pane windows in the house back in Colorado when we leave for the winter. Never noticed any condensation when we've been there, did notice a substantially lower heating bill. Like the others, I suspect that the humidifier is doing a lot of the condensation. Tried nasal saline spray and no humidifier ?

FWIW, we do not have dual pane windows in the coach and we have an awful time with condensation. That's why we try to find warm places to stay :)

Wendy

Bill,

Both the wife and I have sinus problems so can sympathize.  I crack the vent above the kitchen about 1/4 inch or so and leave it there.  It seems to make a difference.  I have the fleece covered foam pillow for the vent in the bathroom but we seldom use it.  If you recall I had questions about the skylight I got for a replacement.  It has a inside piece that is a complete liner for it.  That has made a big difference in the shower as far as collecting condensation, it no longer does, so adding a sheet of the stretch plastic should help there.

I have used the stuff and it seems to work well, at least it did what I expected.  :)

The main thing is to keep the humidity down around 50% or so.  A meter so you can monitor the humidify will help in knowing where it is and then you can control by opening a vent or turning on the humidifier.  Pat and I have had some success with an over the counter medication our Naturopathic physician put us on to so you might check with one of them as they seem to have a few tricks the MDs do not use.

When we're in cold weather, we try to air out the trailer at least once a day (usually during the warmest part of the day).  We leave the front door open and run the fantastic fan on "out".  We do this for at least 15 minutes.  It helps keep the condensation under control.

Jeannine

Bill, we tried the shrink wrap hairdryer thing last year in Vancouver and it didn't help any.  Only got condensation on the inside of that!  I think the airflow thing is the only thing that helps.  Gotta open a window here or there, even a crack and not for long. 

I have sinus problems too.  Has your wife ever tried a neti pot?  Wow, it seems weird, but I find it the only effective thing after I've tried pill and spray.  Oh, besides the hot water in a pot and head with towel over it thing, but that's not what I'd call comfortable.  Good luck after you get back to Yellowstone!

Janina

Think of condensation on the windows as a safety valve.  Excess moisture is condensing there instead of in other places like inside closets, walls, etc.

The basic problem is more humidity inside the rig than the outside temperature can support.  The humidifier certainly isn't helping. 

We have found that we need to open a roof vent a bit, Less than an and usually 1/2" or less which elps greatly in reducing condensation.  We have problems here in the stick house using the humidifier in the winter as we also get condensation on the dual pane windows so have started cracking a window here too.

Bill,

When we were working in Springfield, MO in Jan/Feb (many years ago) it got  cold, but with high humidity. We used the heat shrink clear film and it worked great. Condensation on the windshield, but I don't remember any problem with the covered windows.
It wasn't nearly as cold as you are now, but the high humidity made it feel colder.
We had the Imperial then and it was single pane windows.

Ken

Since I have been more aware of the creating moisture and venting we have had much less issues.  The -19 night was during the humid inside time, should have seen the ice in the bedroom (on the wall!) 

We find that cracking a roof vent and running a dehumidifier helps a lot. In fact, it may be necessary to avoid the mold and other damp problems.

Back
Top Bottom