New Dish Network RV "Pay as you Go" plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

I have information on the new Dish Network RV "Pay as you Go" plan.  I am only sharing information I received and am not affiliated with Dish Network nor any Dish Network Dealers.  I have personally used DirecTV for many years and, like others, have experienced problems.  And feel like I am overpaying for a basic package of services (ie fee for this, fee for that).  I am presently pondering whether to make the change to Dish.  It appears I could save some money and have a "RV Friendly" product.  Here is a quick summary of the features:

? Purchase RV receiver for $149.99
? No monthly receiver fee
? No activation or cancellation fees.
? $39.99 for 120 channels, other packages and premium channels offered with additional fees
? Minimum enrollment is one month, to stop service don?t pay the next month.
? One time activation fee of $99 for HD channels
? Add a hard drive to the receiver to activate DVR feature
? No monthly DVR fee
? Distant Channels are not available at this time.  They should be available sometime in 2011.  And, will likely require the ?letter of intent? approval

You can get additional information at this site:

http://www.dishformyrv.com/

I am curious to hear others opinions of this new plan.

By the time we would add the channels that we watch that aren't in the basic package, the cost is about the same as our DirecTV.  Add Encore, that we have now, and the price is even more.  The lack of the east and west coast networks makes it a non-starter for us.

I just don't see it as a bargain.

We use Dish network at home and in the RV, we just take the receiver from the house to the coach when we leave on a trip. So a pay-as-you-go plan wouldn't be a deal for us. We do get the east-west feeds from the alternate source Dish uses (can't remember the name). At home we get the Denver networks, but unfortunately they started spot-beaming Denver so we don't get it when we get too far away from home.

Wendy

It works great we just call them and have it shut off and they stop taking out our automatic payment out of our checking account and put on account anything that is left form the month that was already payed . We are using CG cable this winter so in the spring we will just call and they will turn it back on with the same 250 channel package we had before but you have to own your equipment.

Denny

I currently have the basic package with DirecTV and it costs $17.50 more than Dish for similar package of channels.  Then DirecTV charges me $7/mth for the DVR services.  They are currently waiving the $10/mth for HD for 24 months.  It appears I would save $24.50 a month for the same services with Dish Network and $34.50 when the HD 24 months expires.

Wendy said:
We use Dish network at home and in the RV, we just take the receiver from the house to the coach when we leave on a trip. So a pay-as-you-go plan wouldn't be a deal for us. We do get the east-west feeds from the alternate source Dish uses (can't remember the name). At home we get the Denver networks, but unfortunately they started spot-beaming Denver so we don't get it when we get too far away from home.

Wendy

I would agree with Wendy, if you are getting Dish at home and taking it also on the road with you, there is no deal to be had here.

As far as distant networks, since we are gone about 4-5 months out of the year, we pay for Distant Networks ... it was a simple process of filling out an application, faxing it and your RV registration in, no standing on one leg and swearing to this or that or proving that you were a full timer.

We bought a Dish receiver last summer at an RV Rally.  I don't know if it is the same company or not.  I bought it thinking that I would kill the service when I got home.  When I got home, I killed my Comcast cable and kept the Dish service by bringing the receiver in from the coach.  I just bought another receiver for the house and will leave the coach's receiver there for less trouble when getting out of Dodge.

If I had it to do over, I would go directly to Dish and get the lower price for a year as well as free equipment.  Once you are set up, the DishForMyRV.com people have nothing to do with your service.  You deal directly with Dish.  I think that you could get Direct networks when ever you wanted.  That is a separate company anyway.

Hi,
Note that, if you insist LOUDLY), Dish will provide the second receiver for the RV and come set it up (assuming you have Dish at home) for $5.00/month. You get whatever you had at home.
Ernie

For those of you who have a Dish receiver at home and another in your RV.  Does Dish make you pay $5.00/mth for the receiver you are not using?  Are there other fees you are paying on your home account while you are traveling? Or vice versa?

And, how much are you paying monthly for Distant Network Channels?

We have a receiver in our house, one in the 5er, and one in our cabin. The receivers in the 5er and cabin are "deactivated" and we pay nothing for them (until we activate them). When we use either the cabin or 5er we call Dish and have them "activate" that receiver and deactivate the one at home (since we aren't there).  There is no charge for activating/deactivating. We have been doing this for a couple of years and it has worked quite well. Forgot to mention that we own all the equipment (you can find it on Craig's list etc)

When you own your Dish Network receiver do you still have to pay a monthly receiver fee when it is active?  And, if you have a DVR do you pay a monthly DVR fee?

LK23 said:
When you own your Dish Network receiver do you still have to pay a monthly receiver fee when it is active?  And, if you have a DVR do you pay a monthly DVR fee?

$6 DVR charge and no receiver charge

Back
Top Bottom