need insurance on used school bus, so I could drive home, help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladodger

I almost bought a used school bus, but my insurance agent said he could not give me a binder for the bus, because he doen'st insure school buses, and my car insurance will only cover buying a new car.  He gave me a few numbers, but they all said the same thing.  "We dont insure school buses".  No matter how hard I tried to explain to them, "It used to be a school bus, I'm not going to pick up any kids and take them to school, I just want to drive it home (350 miles).  My agent said he would insure it as a motorhome when it has a permanent bed and cooking equipment.  Any suggestions ?  thanks

Take a camping cot and camping stove, and screw them to the floor in the aisle. Get your binder, drive home, and remove the screws.

I'm going to try telling my agent that I will take a bed and cooking stove with me when I go to pick up the bus, then I'll remove some seats to make room and install the bed and stove.  Nebraska MVB has already told me, I could title it as a motorhome, once they inspect it for a clear title.  More later

A portapotty wont help, my agent now says, "when you get it all fixed up and converted and painted (guess you can't have a yellow RV), you can get it insured.  Let me ask another question, I been looking on ebay for a school bus for quite a while, and not a single one ever said bring proof of insurance when you pick it up, do I need any? 

Can you not buy a temporary operation permit from the DOV?

GMAC Insurance will provide a liability only policy for a school bus conversion in most states.  This is done in the name of Good Sam Vehicle Insurance Plan.  Call 800 325 1190 monday - friday 6:30am to 9:30pm central time.

I've had my bus insured with them for a couple of years now.  I added a second bus, then removed it, and also moved all my normal vehicle policies to them (they were less expensive than my old insurance company).  My parents have state farm insurance on everything except their bus conversion, which is with GMAC.

There are frequent discussions about insurance on the skoolie.net forum, as well as a lot of friendly and helpful people really into school bus conversions.

I hope this is helpful,
jim

baadpuppy said:
GMAC Insurance will provide a liability only policy for a school bus conversion in most states.  This is done in the name of Good Sam Vehicle Insurance Plan.  Call 800 325 1190 monday - friday 6:30am to 9:30pm central time.

I've had my bus insured with them for a couple of years now.  I added a second bus, then removed it, and also moved all my normal vehicle policies to them (they were less expensive than my old insurance company).  My parents have state farm insurance on everything except their bus conversion, which is with GMAC.

There are frequent discussions about insurance on the skoolie.net forum, as well as a lot of friendly and helpful people really into school bus conversions.

I hope this is helpful,
jim
Good info, thanks.
J

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. It went real smooth, a little expensive ($400) a year, but I got a lot of liability, she said at a later date when its all done, you could add some collision and other stuff.  For future reference, its called a "bus C" on the proof of insurance.  So now I don't have to go to plan B, which was to get Progressive insurance on-line just before I drive it back home with their proof of insurance.  I don't think its illegal to be dumb, but I would forget to check the school bus block, they would probably cancel me a few days after I get my new title and plates.  Of course the coverage would not cover anything, but at least I'd have something to show the guy in the blue shirt with the gun.  Thanks everone, have A happy new year.  Ron

progressive will happily sell a bus policy, then cancel it 2 weeks later.

Many have had it happen.

Glad it worked out for you.  :)

jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom