Need to know more about my bus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladodger

Now that I got my insurance taken care of, thanks to you guys and gals, I'll finally get to see and inspect it on the 7th of Jan.  I'm buying it from First Student, previously Laidlaw.  All I know about it is, its a  AmTran International RE, 78 passenger with a auto trans, air brakes, and a T444E engine.  Does anybody know the HP, type of trans, more about the engine, could it tow a small car, or Jeep Grand Cherokee, does it have things like engine brakes, jake or jacobs brake assist and anything else you can think of.  Perhaps I should have researched these things already, but the gal I'm dealing with at First Student is not that knowledgeable and its difficult to Goggle this things and get a reliable answer.  Thanks again

The T444E engine is International Harvester, normally 275 horsepower, and used in many applications including many Ford trucks.>>>Dan

Hello ladodger and welcome to the forum

If it is a 78 passenger bus then at 150 pounds per passenger that means it would be capable of hauling 12,000 pounds around. At least, not counting luggage. You could tow my class A with it.

Here is a Wikipedia article that might give you some info.

BTW - I bleed Dodger Blue. I am a 50+ year Dodger fan. I moved to LA in 1959 from Chicago, one year after the Dodgers got here. I had been a Cubs/Sox fan and I did not know if I should keep on rooting for Chicago or become a Dodger fan. Well glory be in 1959 the Dodger creamed the Sox in the World Series and that made my mind up. Good choice. The Dodgers have won the World Series a lot more times than the Cubs and Sox combined since then. And I was lucky enough to have my dad take me to several games at the LA Coliseum with it's 250 left field fence. And I lost track of the number of times I have been to Dodger Stadium.

Can't say for sure but they used alot of Allison trannys behind International engines.  Both were hard working, long lasting. Had a 72 pass bus and we pulled a 24 foot pontoon behind it all the time.  Worked great and really never saw a difference in mileage.

utahclaimjumper said:
The T444E engine is International Harvester, normally 275 horsepower, and used in many applications including many Ford trucks.>>>Dan

NO!  It is more like 175HP in a bus.  It topped out at 210HP from International, most were 175 or 190HP.

Depending on the year, the trans could be an Allison AT545, MT643, or MD3060.  If it is shifted by an electronic touch pad, it's a 3060.

Back
Top Bottom