Class A: What to look for / Best candidate for renovation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am planning on fulltiming in an RV starting in a few months (once I sell my house).  I have been torn between buying a new (or almost new) fifth wheel or purchasing an older Class A and then renovating it.

What I would renovate of course would largely be determined by the coach I purchase but I would probably look at doing the following things:

- Wood floors
- New furniture
- Update cabinets / refinish
- Solid surface countertops
- Surround sound / flat screens
- Stainless appliances

Basically I would want to add as many updates as possible without going too crazy on the money.  If I go the class A route I would want to keep my total investment below $75k.  I have found quite a few RVs in the $30-$50k price range.  My question is - what should I look for when trying to find a good candidate for renovation?  What kind of money should I plan on spending for the various upgrades?  Just trying to get a better feel for what it would cost to put one of these together.

You can buy a really nice 10 year old luxury model RV for $75k and probably won't need to do many of those things you  mentioned. It will probably already have solid surface countertops, real wood cabinets, a good sound system and nice floors. TVs are pretty easy to update and LCDs are getting cheaper every day.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You can buy a really nice 10 year old luxury model RV for $75k and probably won't need to do many of those things you  mentioned. It will probably already have solid surface countertops, real wood cabinets, a good sound system and nice floors. TVs are pretty easy to update and LCDs are getting cheaper every day.

I agree with Gary.  Also,  bear in mind that if you find a diesel pusher, you'll be getting more ammenities,  automatically,  that you won't get with a gasser.  Your money will also go farther if you buy from an individual.  Shop the dealers, buy from an individual.  You can shop, shop, shop, on the net and get some good ideas of how far your money will go.  Good Luck, you're headed for a lot of fun!

2000 to 2003 Dutch stars and Mountain Aires are in the price range you are talking and most already have what you are looking for with the exception of the flat screen TV.  Carpet replacement with wood is being done all the time by others as is the TV replacement.  The same is true of most other mid priced MHs.  These upgrades are less than $5,000

Thanks - those all seem like great tips.  My next question are there any brands I should definitely stay away from?  I've seen quite a few Monaco RVs on ebay.  What does everyone think about this brand?

Howdy.
An excellent coach for your purposes would be a Bluebird Wanderlodge. Lotsa quality already built in. And you can will it to your grandchildren!!!

Regards,
Liz Pearce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom