Input about camphosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

member1070

Hello,
New to the forum and hoping for some help.  We are vendors in Quartzsite, AZ and would like to find paid jobs as Camphosts somewhere cooler yet close for the summer.  We were thinking California, only because it wouldn't cost a great deal to get there.  We would eventually like to host an RV Park fulltime. I have links to a lot of sites for Camphosts, but if you have not done it before you don't know what to be aware of. 
Thanks,
Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I recommend you check out Workamper News for paid jobs.  Also remember that simply because you are close to CA right now, it won't be cheaper over the long term.  CA is a high cost state, very pretty, but OMG expensive.  Good luck.

Here is another workamper site: http://www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com    it is free and you can also post there. Workamper will let you sign up for 3 months just to try it. You can post your resume there but I have yet to get hired or even contacted by any employer viewing it there. We have gotten our jobs from those listed in their magazine which I think is the way most do. Workamper also has added a lot of helps and forums (Dreamer is one) for those just starting out.

As for camp hosting summer is probably the only time you can get paid anything for it since most parks (city, county, state, federal) like free. You can put bids on BLM lands which will tie you down for the season.

Are you tied of be vendors? If you want to continue that there are many local shows in the west that can keep you quite busy.

You can try a search for Recreation Resource Management, camp host. org may be the same, American land and leisure. I believe at least one is for paid hosts. There is a lot of info out there and maybe others also have leads. Happy New Year!!! Irover

"Camp host" positions are often volunteer, or work for site only. You want a general workamping job if you want pay for hours worked. That will probably entail more than greeting campers and answering a few question. You can work in a camp store or office, do grounds maintenance & repairs, clean facilities, sell firewood, etc, etc.

Unlike RVgrandma, we have had numerous responses to our resume on workamper.com and found two jobs through them, both of which lasted two seasons. Both paid above minimum wage too.

I'd head further north for summer work, but that's my preference. CA will tax the daylights out of you, and if you spend more than a couple months or get caught working, they will decide you are a resident and want you to register your vehicles in CA, get driving license, etc..

8)  We have done several camphost postions, all of which are volunteer.  While being a camphost we have had to provide our own propane and laundry services.  So far I have found this to be the normal.  Occassionally a few may pay $10.00 a day.  If I want to camphost in a particular area I usually search for the the state and federal parks in the area and begin contacting the necessary party.  The only downside we have experiences was this past winter we had one lined up but they changed their mind at the last minute.

You may want to check website  www.coolworks.com    Have not applied for any positions but it sure does have some great locations listed as possibilities. I am still employed and not yet fulltiming but will be soon I hope!!

member1070 said:
We would eventually like to host an RV Park fulltime. I have links to a lot of sites for Camphosts, but if you have not done it before you don't know what to be aware of. 
Thanks, Nancy

As mentioned, camp hosting is predominately for site only, but there are paid jobs out there.  It might be worth the annual fee to sign up for workcamper.com and use their forum to gather information on the work envolved find out the pros and cons.

We all started somewhere. Just ask "What are my duties?", "What are my hours?", and "What do I receive in return?" and follow up with whatever the answers may be.  Anything that is vague, ask follow-up questions. E.G, for the hours question, don't accept a simple "20 hours/week" or whatever. Talk about hours each day, days/week, individual vs couples (if you both work for one clock hour, that should be two hours total), etc. until you have a clear picture.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom