New Itasca with Check Engine Light ON....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

We finally purchased our new Itasca Meridian over the New Year Holiday weekend.  We flew up to Portland and picked it up and drove it back to California.  The second day and after only about 300 miles our Check Engine Light came on with an exclamation point mark.  I immediately went to the book and found out that one of the reasons that it came on could be that the Urea was low.  So, we stopped at a truck stop and filled the tank up and hoped that would turn the light off, which it didn't.  We called Camping World RV where we purchased it and no one there was able to help us out.  They told us that they would find us a Cummins distributor and call us back, which they never did.  We drove home and are now looking for a someone to do our warranty work since we've also just found out that Camping World will only do things like change our oil and filters but not any engine work.  This is a brand new motorhome with only about 2000 miles on it.  (from the factory to California and then from So. Cal to Oregon and then back to No. Cal) what could possibly be wrong that the check engine light would come on already.  We did check the oil and it was fine.  Any one have any suggestions?  Thanks!

First thing I would do is find a good Freightliner Oasis dealer nearby and let them have a shot at the problem.  You could possibly get into finger-pointing between Cummins and Freightliner, but in your case, I think Freightliner is a good starting point.

Edit:  I'd have to be pretty desperate to let CW work on my Horizon

Thanks John for the good advise.  We are already looking for an authorized freightliner distributor in our area.  It's just disappointing when you purchase something and this happens so quickly, we thought it would be after we at least had it for awhile...not on the maiden voyage!  LOL

I don't know where in CA but the Sacramento FL dealer is an Oasis shop and has been recommended.
Check here, http://freightlinerchassis.com/component/option,com_servicecenters/Itemid,64/country,usa/state,CA/view,servicecenters/ for all of them in CA. 

After you select one, check for service reviews and see how they do.  Also if there is a bus service company, you may be better off there.  ABC bus is very good and there are others.

Good luck,

PS, I did some checking and there is a is a bus maintenance company in Williams, "Coach Maintenance Company"

Edit: Fix link

We ran into the same problem on our recent trip to Texas.  Just before we got to our destination the engine light came on in our 2010 Itasca Reyo with a Mercedes Diesel engine.  The engine also lost power..we couldn't go over 40mph.  The display said: no message.  We went to a Dodge/Sprinter dealer in the Ft. Worth, TX area and they told us that they don't work on 2010 models.  They sent us to a Freighliner dealer in Ft. Worth.  The tech. there did some diagnostics and he said that the code said to check the fuel level in the tank.  Our tank was full, as we had just filled it up before the engine light came on.  The Tech. cleared the code, test drove it and said all was ok.  They don't do warranty work, so we had to pay $189.73. It did run fine coming back to the RV park, but we're worried sick, that this could happen again when we leave Texas to drive to Arizona for the rest of the winter.  And...driving home to NC in early May.  That will be a lot of miles.
We also had to take the Reyo to a Winnebago dealer in Dallas, TX, because the driver seat wouldn't go up so we could turn it around to face the galley.  Anyway..they said a wire was cut and there was a recall on the seat.  They fixed that.  I hope and pray that we have no more problems with this unit, because if we do, I think my 76 yr. old husband will have a heart attack.  So many problems with such an expensive mh it's hard to enjoy it.

Hope everone has a Happy New Year!

Babette,
We really feel your pain!  When you've paid what we're paying for these units you expect things to work better.  I am hoping that we will find that most of our problems will be covered by our warranty.  Good luck to you and thanks for sharing your experience.

We had a check engine light when our coach was brand new and it took two repair attempts to get it properly diagnosed and repaired.  Sometimes it takes a while to get all of the new house/chassis issues worked out.  Once you get past the initial issues, things get significantly better, at least that's my experience.

Low coolant is one cause of a Check light - did you check the level in the radiator fill/overflow tank? There should be a line on the side of the tank for "OK".

According to the Cummins web site, there is a Freightliner Oasis (RV-qualified) service center in Redding. Also a Cummins West service center just down the street from FL.

REDDING FREIGHTLINER
4991 CATERPILLAR ROAD, REDDING, California 96003, United States
Phone:(530) 241-4412
Fax:(530) 241-1352

CUMMINS WEST, INC. (2044)
5125 CATERPILLAR ROAD, REDDING, California 96003, United States
Phone:(530) 244-6898
Fax:(530) 244-6899

Also in Arcata:
3. CUMMINS WEST, INC. (2045)
5150 BOYD RD., ARCATA, California 95521-9241, United States
Phone:(707) 822-7390
Fax:(707) 822-7585

The Check light is not overly serious - the engine would go into "limp home" mode or shut down completely if damage was imminent. Still need to find/fix the problem, though.

My 10 tour ck engine light came on at 5k...found a freightiner dealer in IL ..$300 later only needed new fuel filters!

Babette; Regarding check engine light and limp mode. Did you drive through rain? You could have the same issues I have had with water getting into the engine thru the hood. Call the service administrator at Winnebago for help if it happens again.

Good suggestion, Ditto.  A new fuel filter is the automatic #1 step on most diesel problems.  A fuel filter can get clogged with just one bad re-fueling or if algae grows in the tank (too much moisture in the fuel) and all sorts of symptoms are possible. It's a DIY fix and only costs $25-$40 for the filter.

And the easy way to clear the check engine light is disconnect negative terminal from battery for a second after you fix the problem. That's why I like the older motorhomes and vehicles Before computer.

Man, this sounds like a carbon copy of the maiden voyage in our new Ellipse a few years ago.  Headed up the Grapevine near LA the STOP ENGINE!!! light came on.  I was one frightened newbie about that time and called CoachNet who had me towed 40 miles back to a Cummins shop in Bakersfield.  It was only a bit low on coolant.  The engine never de-rated and the temp was fine.  Seems like an over reaction for low coolant but....

I have used the Freightliner shop in Sacramento and would probably grade them with a C-  The Oasis shop I use now is in Tolleson, Az and I love them.  I also second John's comment about letting CampingWorld work on your chassis.  :eek:

Best of Luck

Rick

I also agree with John about Camping World working on my rig. I bought my Reyo at CW in AL. and took it in for coach issues: Gap in drawer in kitchen, light and air coming in behind the refrigerator, water valve falling off after use, difficulty opening the door, tv/radio switch installed upside down among other things. They fixed the drawer. It took them hours to fix the seal that broke loose behind the refrigerator. They caused damage and did not reinstall it correctly. An Itasca dealer fixed it. The water valve was replaced backwards and therefore we couldn't get water when dry camping. A Mercedes dealer found that out and advised us how to fix it. CW said there was nothing wrong with the main door, it was how we were trying to open it. Turns out it had been installed crooked at the factory and an Itasca dealer fixed it. CW fixed the tv/radio switch. Before we bought the rig, CW said they were getting a new window shade as the window latch and a hinge were broken. They got us a new hinge but took their time ordering a new shade since they didn't want to have to pay for it, they wanted Winnebago to. It was sent to us when we got home a month after purchase. CW "didn't have time" to fix the door shade before we bought it. We got it fixed at an Itasca dealer. We will never go back to any CW for service. Nor will we purchase a rig from them. They don't stand behind their products.

Find a Freightliner Service Facility. Ours in Orlando has been really great to us. Also take your RV back to Freightliner when you are close to the end of your warranty and have them check it out (M3 service.)

Enjoy your new RV. Congratulations!!

I agree with the factory FL recommendation. I come from the heavy equip industry and it is not that uncommon to purchase equipment upwards of $500k and find similar issues with computer problems etc. Once you get through the initial short term torture they are still a great investment and perform as you would expect. The shortest route from problem to problem solved with any new rig is through the factory. None of the aftermarket shops will have the info needed to solve the problem efficiently. In my opinion I suppose CW is fine for certain minor things if you want to save a few bucks but the important stuff needs to be seen by the mfr. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom