1987 itasca sunflyer remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarahMatheson

I purchased an itasca that was used as a medical equipement repair vehicle. The fridge, sink and stove are all gone and replaced by a counter top that has no sink. I cant see where there is a connection either for water but the wires are all there under the old stove cabinet. I will attach photos. I am wondering how hard it would be to put a sink in the kitchen. I dont need running water but a place to drain the water. Also in the shower we use a solar shower but there is no shower and there is an awful vanity that needs to go hooked to the wheel hub. The tanks have been framed and covered by particle board and sealed with polyboard inside and foam spray in case of leaks. Im doing a daybed instead of dinette and making the back like an office/living space. how hard is it to put in a shower no water and sink and remove the vanity?

Attachments

• cabinets.jpg
    cabinets.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 108
  • cabinetsprime.jpg
    cabinetsprime.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 81
  • cockpitbefore.jpg
    cockpitbefore.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 82
  • cockpitstain.jpg
    cockpitstain.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 86
  • daybedprime.jpg
    daybedprime.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 79
  • kitchenbefore.jpg
    kitchenbefore.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 88
  • kitchenafter.jpg
    kitchenafter.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 89
  • daybed4.jpg
    daybed4.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 84
  • daybed3.jpg
    daybed3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 80
  • daybed2.jpg
    daybed2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 81
  • daybed.jpg
    daybed.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 101
Love your dog!  We have a brindle.  My question is this...we just started this new adventure of RVing 2 years ago and are getting ready to retire and make it sort of full time...it's still not a definite!  Anyway, in the past when we go to parks there are some that won't allow our "boy."  He's a wonderful dog with a bad rap.  He is much more behaved the any of my friends "acceptable" breeds.  Have you run into this problem?  Now, when we're going to a park that he can't go to, we leave him home.  Once our home is on wheels, what will we do when we get to a park that he's not allowed?

I would just call ahead and make sure he is ok. Mine is an american bulldog and is registered so its not as big of an issue for me as far as breed restriction. Plus, he is 120 pounds and most pit bulls dont get that big and owen is very relaxed.

The daybed is actually going to be for me, I havent put the mattress in yet I figured with the paint glue and fumes I would wait to do furnishings.

He looks so comfortable, how can you make him move.  I have two spoiled mutts and they get more bed than I do but I wouldn't be without them.

Ours is registered with our vet as a French Boxer.  ;D That's what the vet thought he was when he was a pup.  We now think he is a Staffordshire.  He's about 90 lbs and is a gentle as can be.  He doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body!  I guess calling ahead is about our only option.  Does anyone know if the Caravan's have dog restrictions?

I think people are the ones who make bad or good dogs but insurance a lot of times doesnt cover "aggressive" breeds. I wonder why the poodle that bit my hand and left a scar would be aggressive... hehe

My question mainly is this...If I remove the kitchen cabinets where the stove and sink once was and frame a small box for the electrical wires with a door to reach them would it hurt anything? I dont want to start taking the counters apart and say OH NO and wish I hadnt done it. I can always bring the vanity and sink to the front.

I would love to use the existing cabinet where the stove once was on top of as a mini fridge space. There are outlets right there and available and it is doable. It would give the appearance of a cabinet cover on the fridge and also keep it in place while driving. A counter top is so easy to put in, however, I can also get a portable utility sink and use it with a hose hookup. the drain is the question for me. I have no clue how to accomplish this

Ok an update. I had my dogs previous owner come in and build a small bathroom for me. There is no shower in the RV or kitchen sink so it eliminates the need for a hot water pump. I have a solar shower in case of emergencies and am a competitive bodybuilder so there is a daily gym use that requires a shower afterwards. By removing the oven and the kitchen sink it created a nice space for a counter top that I used gel stain on and am going to use as a small office space. Where the tanks in the bank are, I had them framed off and utility runner over them( using the portion of the old bed frame that still outlined the wall) and now use that as an area to box and bungee cord down breakables when we drive. I took the curtains down over the daybed area as Owen tried to hang from them when drove ( I think he thought they were dangling above for his pleasure like a huge toy) and put them in the cabin area when sleeping. The vanity is still in the bank so it allows for running water. It actually resembles more of a cabin than a motor home and I really like that feeling. I have an over the toilet towel holder that I used in my condo put into the bathroom and screwed to the paneling. I used flash bond type of primer on the inside of the motorhome and then painted it an off white color and used dark gel stain on all the wood. Its very nice. As for a bed I used a contemporary futon, its full size and has a light metal frame with a total weight of 75 pounds and looks great with round pillows around the arms and a couch cover over it ( since I use a zipper plastic cover on all mattresses in the motor home.

To place pictures on the wall... This was a tricky part because I didnt want them to come down and take paint off with it. So, I used screws but then used SMALL dots of a gorilla glue in the center of the picture and behind the screws that are affixed to the wall and a putty type tape substance on the corners and top and bottom but enough flex that it doesnt rip off, you would have to re-paint if you moved the picture.

Shelves- since I stay long term in the rv I use bracket type wire shelves for clothes because they come down and are easily placed on the futon and bungee corded to the futon when in motion and easily erected when stopped. I also dont have to search for clothes very much as they are right there in milk crates on the bed.  ;D
I use utility shelves in the corner where the fridge was. I also took that out and am going to opt to use a small water dispenser that has a tiny cooler on the bottom of it. The vast majority of my diet consists of protein powder, canned tuna or chicken or rotisserie chicken and some salad/ canned veggies anyway so there is no real reason for the large fridge and I use that space for utility shelves that can come down or secure to the wall. I also use a portion of the shelf that is too tall as a table to cover the tire hump in the back and it looks completely natural as it sits high enough.

I also have an area on the desk where I can put a televison and also another area in the back for a tv.
I put a twin mattress in the daybed area which will have to be a toddler mattress in the end because the twin sits out too far. Or else I will have to put the box spring in there and create legs for it, which seems silly to spend that time on it. However, having the twin does make a nice space that a smaller mattress doesnt provide

so... I took a gutted motorhome and made a daybed, stained the cabinets, framed and created a bathroom, filled cracks and holes and primed and painted, put in a futon, covered and sealed back tanks and made it as a desk/tie down area, made no need for propane or a water heater, and made it look like a small cabin or 2 bedroom apartment rather than a 23 foot itasca. It has taken some work! The painting was the hard part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom