First Time Driver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

68chstiger

My wife and I are looking to buy a MH in the 30' to 34' range. I am a little concerned at learning how to drive the rig, I hear about having to adjust for the rear swing when turning. How does one get used to or are there any tips on how to maneuver or back one up?

When you first learned to drive a car, you had to be especially careful of the length and width, knowing where your fenders were, but you soon learned to make it automatic, or nearly so. As the vehicle gets bigger, your awareness has to expand, and in anything larger than a car or pickup, you have to add height awareness. But in larger vehicles, such as motorhomes and big trucks, you get a very good set of mirrors that help you see all around you (except directly behind), and many now have cameras in back with a monitor on the dash to let you see there, too. With some practice, I can actually back into tighter quarters (not smaller, but closer to things) than I can with my wife's Mercury Marquis, because I can see how close I am more easily in the Bounder.

One suggestion for learning is to get in a large parking lot and use the painted parking spaces to maneuver around. Note that, when turning, you'll generally need to pull further forward than you're used to before starting the turn, but to compensate the front wheels can turn more sharply. As to the rear end swinging out, you can use your mirrors to help judge that, but note that you'll need to go around corners more slowly than you're used to in order to have time to look at all the extra stuff you have to be aware of. If you buy from a dealer, they may help you learn the basics. Hopefully a private owner would do the same.

All that being said, there is also some good information in the library (link at the top of the page) for perusal. I'm sure others will be chiming in here, too.

Find a large open area, set up some soft obstacles and practice. You will quickly learn how much swing there is. Backing up, practice, practice with the soft objects. One key to backing up is to get put of the MH and look at your surroundings, high and low. High because tree limbs can cause as much damage as a pole in the ground. If you are going to use a spotter they should also know how to maneuver the coach. To avoid banging objects due to rear swing, clear the object fully then turn. Also when making turns, be sure that you have enough
mid coach clearance. (turning too soon can cause mid coach collisions)
It's all elementary geometry, sometimes you have to swing wide, other times not.
J

Rear swing-out can be a concern on some motorhomes - it depends on how much overhang there is behind the rear axle. Some have much more than others, but most all motorhomes have a longer overhang than a car or pick-up truck.  It's not a big deal, but it is something to be aware of.

When I was in College I worked for a bus company as a driver.  We trained by driving with an instructor offering advice.  The best advice is find a parking lot and setup cones to simulate lanes.  Practice left and right turns to get the feel for how much you need to "swing out" before starting the turn.  The rear will "track" in the direction of the turn, I do not remember how much, but that means that the rear will move in the direction you are turning before it reaches the corner.

Find a large parking lot that is not in use.  Closed store, school or factory on a weekend, maybe call and ask permission.
1.  Be aware that 4 wheelers will cut you off!  You are big and they think you are slow so they will try to get around you.  Some will cut you off from a right turn lane.  As in all driving you need to be aware of your surroundings.
2.  Learn to use your mirrors.  Where are you in relationship to the lane lines.
3. Take your time!  Cars and trucks creep up in lanes and when you are turning you may have to back them up.  You are big, they will move!
4.  Go out early on a Sunday morning when there is little traffic and practice.
5.  Always be aware of the road ahead.  If in doubt stop.  Is there construction that narrows the road, a bridge that looks low, a big bump that you could drag on, a delivery truck double parked ...

A good practice is setup cones about 50 feet and 100 feet to the rear behind each rear corner.  Back up to within 3 feet of the cones.  Keep practicing.  This will give you practice judging distances with the mirrors and backing straight.  then set up a lane and a parking spot and practice backing in both left and right.  When done We could back up (no cameras) into a spot with 6 inches on each side.  I doubt I could do that now, and am not going to try.

I am sure the "old timers" can give you pointers.

If you feel you need some help, there is an excellent RV Driving School available, with one-on-one personal instruction. See Dick Reed's RV School

Lazydays RV in Sefener,(Tampa), FL also has a one day Driver Confidence Course for its customers, or for a $75 if not a customer. See http://www.lazydays.com/rvdrivecourses.html

Look before you drive.  "if I pull in, can I pull out?"  Plan ahead and you will save a lot of headaches.

If you want the actual swing out, go to a vacant parking lot that still has parking lines.  Park the coach with the driver side of the body on a lane, turn the wheels all the way to the right and then slowly move the MH until it is at s 45% angle from the lane.  Stop and measure the distance from the painted lane to the corner of the MH.  That is your swing out.  If you are in a right turn lane and a car is next to you, add more inches for safety to clear it.  The same goes for fuel pumps!  Do the same procedure for the right  side.  Drive and enjoy.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

All good advice.  I'll only add that the most important thing is to not let yourself get intimidated by the thought of it and cause you to shy away from the lifestyle.  In a coach you need to be constantly aware of what you are doing and what you are driving.  In a car, sometimes many of us will go into "auto pilot" while driving.... have to make sure not to do that in a coach.  This is a big reason that most of us don't try to cover 500 miles per day like we would in a car. 

Good luck...

Rick

Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure with a lot of practice one would get used to it. I did find some very informational tips on the LazyDaze website which included videos, good stuff.

And, make sure your wife learns to drive it too!  Not only will she be able to drive it if there's an emergency, but she'll have a better understanding of what you need to do if she's your spotter when you're backing up or otherwise maneuvering.  In addition, both of you need to have a clear set of hand signals you both understand and agree upon to indicate turns, straight backing, and stopping.  Too often I see women standing behind the RV and they obviously don't have a clue about backing up and maneuvering into a site.  When I see them I wonder why they're even there and what they would do if something bad happened.  You BOTH need to know what going on with your motorhome.

ArdraF

68chstiger said:
Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure with a lot of practice one would get used to it. I did find some very informational tips on the LazyDaze website which included videos, good stuff.

Videos are good, but (like many things) there is no substitute for actually doing it yourself.  I found that the learning curve wasn't too bad (I picked it up pretty quickly) and I thoroughly enjoy driving our MH.  Every so often there are some tight curves maneuvering through a campground or small neighborhood, but you go slow and get better the longer you do it.  Learning to use the mirrors and backup camera is key, as with most motorhomes you won't see much if you try to glance around through the windows like we all do on cars.  It's just one of the many challenges and adventures that come with RV ownership! :)

Three tips from long time RVer and motorcycle guy:
#1:  Keep you mind and our eyes waaaay down the road.  Most problems can be avoided by seeing them a long way off.
#2:  ALWYA be aware of your overhead (gas station canopys and motel entrances), and don't crowd the gas pumps....leave yourself plenty of room between you and the pumps when turning in or out.
#3:  If you are inclined to put one of those luggage baskets on your rear bumper or receiver, it extends your rear overhang for turning purposes by about 3 ft.  I've seen many, many times in RV parks where the MH clears, and the basket clips someone's car, trailer, or tree.  I had one for a while, got rid of it.  Don't need to carry that much crap. 

Rear swing is a real issue. It's really hard to see what is behind you, so I installed one of these http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/wireless-display-top-or-under-dash-mount-reverse-parking-sensor-kit.html
Of course there is no replacement for DW behind the coach with a radio doing the spotting.

These sensors detect objects up to six feet away and are really easy to install.

Theberrys said:
Of course there is no replacement for DW behind the coach with a radio doing the spotting.

Amen to that.  I've used that "technique" many times when backing into some tight CG sites.  That little pair of 2-way Cobra radios has paid for itself many times over... I bought them second-hand for $15 IIRC.  ;D

Chris and I have done very well with the FMCA recommended signals. If I can't see Chris in my mirror, I don't move.

http://www.khulsey.com/rv_info/techimages/gal_techtips_hand_signals3.jpeg)

Tom said:
If I can't see Chris in my mirror, I don't move.

Ditto.  Well, Nancy.... not Chris... but it's worked out well for us.  If Nancy needs to walk to the far side of the coach to check clearance she knows that as soon as I lose sight of her in the mirror... the coach will stop until she gets back in position in view of my driver's side mirror. 

Rick

I feel your anxiety. I purchased my first MH in June of last year and was really nervous. 36' was as much as I wanted to handle for my first coach but ended up with a sweet deal on a 38' Dutch Star DP. I was given one driving lesson that lasted all of about 15 minutes by the sales guy. Turns out that was all I needed. Here are the tips I received and have observed (some of which have already been mentioned in prior posts).

#1 Do your homework on the routes you intend to take. The less experienced of a motorhome driver you are, the more homework you might want to do before going on your trip. Have the passenger designated the co-pilot and that person is responsible for reminding the driver a couple of miles ahead of time that an exit is coming up in X miles. They can help in lane changes, watching for overhead branches, and being your backup eyes and ears.
#2 Mirrors are your newest, bestest friend. Check the top mirrors for traffic coming up on you and check the lower mirrors to see what is beside you. Watch those bottom mirrors regularly to gauge where you are relative to your lane and use them as you are turning to see how close you are to the curb when making turns. You will need to swing out and as you begin to make the turn the mirror will help you see if you are cutting it too tight.
#3 Backing up is tricky. See lesson #1 on home work to reduce the number of times you have to do #3. It is unavoidable and as others have suggested, work out a system with the co-pilot to be your spotter and help you do the backing.
#4 Do things well in advance and don't rush anything. If you have done the homework and you have a co-pilot, you should be able to change lanes in sufficient time whereas to not do anything in a rush. When changing lanes, hit the turn signal, check the top mirror, then the bottom, then the top, and then carefully watch the bottom as you begin to creep into the lane. Leave plenty of room in front of you and remember it will take you longer than you think to stop.
#5 Have a fear of snakes and have been told, "They are more afraid of you than you are of them, trust me"? Think of all the cars on the road as snakes. You are much bigger than everyone else and for the most part, people don't trust the drivers of rigs to know what they are doing so they will naturally be afraid of you. They will get out of your way if you give them the opportunity (see the note about doing things in advance and not rushing).
#6 When you are driving your car on the highway next, pay attention to where your eyes focus on the road. Your natural tendency will be to use that same distance when you first attempt to drive your rig. Don't. You will need to focus your horizon much farther out or else you will constantly be adjusting your steering and it will wear you out. If you focus farther down the road you will find you correct less and it is a wonderfully calming experience driving your rig. Also, new drivers tend to hug the right side of the lane. If you notice yourself doing it, just use those mirrors to learn how to drive the motorhome with equal distance on either side of the lines.
#7 Think of all the 18-wheelers, motorhome, campers, and slow moving construction vehicles that have slowed you down over the years as an automobile driver. It's YOUR turn to be that guy!! Never make a risky decision because you feel like you are slowing people down. If you wreck, think how many more people you will inconvenience. If you start to make a turn at a light and you realize you don't have the room. STOP. Don't force it. Let people back up, move around you, do whatever. Will they be irritated? Sure, so what. Take your time and make sure every move you make is the right one and if you aren't sure, do whatever is safest even if it means blocking traffic for a traffic light or two.

The tips to drive around a big parking lot is good as is getting up fairly early and getting the coach out on the road while the roads are mostly vacant. I was told it takes about 500 miles of driving before you really start to feel like it is second nature and form motorhome driving habits. That was pretty accurate for me.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun. :)

When I make turns I also pay attention to the rear end of the coach by checking it in the sideview mirrors and the rear camera.  Doing that indicates that I may need to pull out a bit more before beginning the turn (The rear wheels will in most cases climb the curbs :eek:). Another point that has been made was to keep the speed down, as one of the consequences of taking the turn too fast can be "stuff" (not properly secured) flying out of the cupboards or shelves.

Orick said:
Ditto.  Well, Nancy.... not Chris... but it's worked out well for us.  If Nancy needs to walk to the far side of the coach to check clearance she knows that as soon as I lose sight of her in the mirror... the coach will stop until she gets back in position in view of my driver's side mirror. 

Rick

That's good advice equally for drivers and spotters.  Spotters should always remember that if they can't see the driver through the side-mirrors, the driver can't see them.  And drivers should not move if they don't see their spotter.

DW is good at telling me when to stop, but since she cannot backup a trailer, she has a hard time to guide me backup the trailer.  I usually go for a walk and scout where I am going to backup first and guide myself with the mirrors.  She's there watching to tell me to stop if I'm about to hit something.

We usually camp with friends, there is one in particular, if he's there, I keep looking at him in the mirror and do whatever he signals me to do and end up in the right spot every time.

There's a trust relationship that needs to exist between driver and spotter, if the trust is not there, the driver should get out and check things out if in doubt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom