Smart Phone Tethering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read where PDA-NET had an upgrade that would "HIDE" the teathering.

Alas, do not have a smart phone, Likely won't any time soon, so all I can tell you is what I read.

Oh, and one other thing.. IT is a racket.. I mean if I can do UNLIMITED browsing with the phone's browser.. WHY can I not connect to my computer ?

I have T-Mobil unlimited tethering. 20 bucks per month, works great. I don't want to worry about extra charges
J

John From Detroit said:
I read where PDA-NET had an upgrade that would "HIDE" the teathering.

Alas, do not have a smart phone, Likely won't any time soon, so all I can tell you is what I read.

Oh, and one other thing.. IT is a racket.. I mean if I can do UNLIMITED browsing with the phone's browser.. WHY can I not connect to my computer ?
This is an easy one to answer.... unlimited browsing with a smart phone is not even close to the infrastructure use with a connection to a pc... which with today's operating system and application auto updates can eat like a couple of gig in days...  Shoot the dice, if you are outside of service agreements, and knowingly try to get what you have not paid for... the hundred's of $ bill should not be a surprise...  Just a thought from someone that has paid dearly with connecting hotmail.... which turned out to be a $55.00 bill because the op/sys was set to update when connected to the internet.

34footer said:
I have T-Mobil unlimited tethering. 20 bucks per month, works great. I don't want to worry about extra charges
J

Enjoy it while you can. AT&T is eliminating a competitor. Providing a vibrant and competitive mobile environment by delivering what everyone wants. Higher bills.

The simple answer is because you are not paying the provider for the option to connect it to your computer. You do not have a RIGHT to do that, they are providing a service for a price, the service they are providing has defined limits. If you don't like that service or it's limits I suggest you vote with your dollars and use another provider.

Frank

mrschwarz said:
Enjoy it while you can. AT&T is eliminating a competitor. Providing a vibrant and competitive mobile environment by delivering what everyone wants. Higher bills.
Hehehehe

Remember folks that TODAY (Wednesday - 7/6/2011) is the very LAST day you can get an unlimited data plan from Verizon for your smart phone.  Tomorrow it's gone!

JerryF

"But it is giving customers much more control about how they want to spend their discretionary dollars on wireless.?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/mobile-technology/verizon-nixing-unlimited-data-for-new-customers/article2088252/
Yeah, right.

bobbl3 said:
I believe PDA.net is a thing of the past if you are verizon.

There is no indication that VZW will do anything to stop the use of PDAnet or EasyTether.  I used EasyTether just yesterday for several hours.

If you are with Verizon, have a smart phone, and pay $30/month for a Verizon data plan that gives you either unlimited or 5GB/month it seems that this tethering is OK and legal using PDA.NET. 

Does anyone know if this assumption is true?

JerryF

Tethering with PDAnet or EasyTether still works.  I used EasyTether yesterday for several hours with my Droid.  Whether it's legal under the terms of service, I can't say :)  You're supposed to buy the tethering feature from VZW if you do that.

I'm here in southern California and my cell carrier is Metro PCS. I use there LG Optimus and I reflashed it with gingerbreak to use Wireless tether. Works great! super fast and reliable. Good for surfing the web. Not really for youtube. a song takes me to download about 2-3 mins not bad.

bobbl3 said:
I believe PDA.net is a thing of the past if you are verizon.

Why?  PDA Net is still working for many Verizon customers.

I believe the Verzion has blocked the download of PDAnet from the droid market.  You can still download it by going to the website, at least that is how I understand it.  AT&T has done the same.

PdaNet 3.02 is available in the Android Market as of just now.  Also, Easy Tether is available from the Android Market.

Verizon posted a policy a couple of months ago - if your smart phone usage is within the top 2% of all their customers, they "reserve the right" to throttle your download speeds for the remainder of the current billing month and the next one.  So their "unlimited" plan isn't really unlimited.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom