Would RVing fit our vacation style?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badger Gal

We love our car-driving trips so much that I'm tempted to consider RVing, possibly in a conversion van. But even before we rent one to try it out, I wonder whether this is realistic. Two things concern me:
1. taking the dogs along We often stop for visits to museums, shopping, and tourist attractions. Is it suitable to leave our two medium-sized dogs inside the unit (a RoadTrek, for instance) while we do so? Obviously, windows would have to be closed for security reasons, so how does one heat or air condition the unit while it's parked? (Currently, while vacationing we leave the dogs at home with a petsitter. But once we're retired and traveling more often, it would be nice to have them with us.)
2. ease of hookup after dark Elsewhere in this forum, users have noted that once you've set up the unit at a campground, you probably won't want to take it all down again to make a quick trip into town. So...if we wait until later evening to arrive and set up, is that a big hassle? Especially in the dark? (I know it would get easier with experience, but even so, would it be more trouble than it's worth?)
Thanks for any advice you can provide!

You had already posted this in the Conversions forum and one of your posts will, no doubt, be removed.

Dogs: A conversion van doesn't have the air volume that a full-sized RV typically has and therefore will heat up fairly quickly.  Consequently, you will have to run A/C while parked in the sun - sometimes even in cooler weather.  To do that you'll need a generator and rooftop A/C (or a small window unit in a rear window).  Even then, generator failure for whatever reason and you may return from your outage to a very unpleasent situation.  Personally, I would not do it.  For this kind of travel either kennel the dogs or take them on the outages with you.

Ease of hook-up and breakdown:  With a bit of practice it is not problem.  You don't have to hook up everything every time.  Possibly the toughest would be leveling in the dark and that can be relieved by careful choice of sites (how level they are).

That said, we have a class 'C' MH and I can tell you it has totally changed the enjoyment we get in traveling.  We hate hotels/motels and don't care much for fast food dining.  We have a pooch, too, and we seldom leave her alone in the MH even to eat.  So, we prepare our meals and eat in the MH.  We stop when we want whether for a nap or a pee or whatever.  We love traveling this way.

Thanks, Molaker. You've provided lots of interesting facts to mull over. I'll have to rethink our strategy with regard to RVs.

Hello BadgerGal and welcome to The RV Forum.

I think you would love it.  Certainly, the pets are a concern but I think you can work through it.  Lots of people are RVing with pets.

Hook-ups; not a problem.

Let us know if you have other questions.  We enjoy helping and we are pretty good at it.  Did you see our library?  Lots of good and helpful information there. 

If you do decide to purchase an RV be sure to get us involved early, and prior to the purchase.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks, geodrake!

Sorry, everyone, for the double-posting. My first post in "conversion vans" got lots of looks but no replies, so I reposted it here. I guess it's more of a newbie question, and the two answers I've already received confirm that. In fact, we're not even newbies, 'cause we haven't rented an RV yet. Does that make us "pre-bies"?! Whatever. I appreciate the friendliness of this forum.

A couple of years ago, my husband and I toured the interiors of several RoadTreks and other companies' units at a huge RV dealer in Oregon. It's amazing how much equipment the manufacturers can fit onto a van chassis.

It's certainly something to think about as we sort through our travel options.

We leave the windows open whenever we leave the hairy beast in the RV. I figure he's a pretty good deterent to anyone considering breaking in....the barking alone would attract attention. So if you want to take the dogs, take the dogs, find a spot in the shade, and leave the doors locked but the windows open just like you would if you ran into the store at home and left them in the car.

As for tearing down and setting up, there's a lot less in a conversion than there is in a large RV to set up. We never had a problem with our Class C.

Wendy

My suggestion to renting would be go right to a "C" class and skip the "B" for the same rental money you would get many more amenities and room.>>>Dan

As mentioned the only concern I would have would be leaving the dogs in the hot weather.  However if your conversion van has a generator big enough to handle running the house A/C, you should be just fine.  Many times when we are touring, we leave Charlie, the dog, behind in the coach for the mere fact that if it's warm, we can't keep him cool in our car.  However, we can leave the A/C on in the coach and he's fine.

Marsha~

Ditto on going to a C not a B.

A larger motorhome may or may not have a better time staying cool, or a better cooling system (fans, a/c). You can check out prospective units and how well or poorly they work. Ceiling fans can include the type with a thermostat that turns on the fan when a preset temperature is reached (e.g., Fantastic Fans). "Fail safe" systems can be included in your RV. For example, we have two roof air conditioners so presumably one will operate even if the other fails, and the electrical management system will start the generator if the power fails, if set that way.

As I understand it, Arizona and presumably other places have laws prohibiting leaving animals in unattended vehicles. We haven't been in AZ much recently, but a couple of years ago, it wasn't unusual to hear of strangers calling the authorities whenever they saw a pet left alone in a vehicle. Local inquiry may help on that score. Some RV parks have rules against leaving dogs in your RV, although I only recall one at the moment.

A lot of the time, we only hook up electricity if we're not staying more than a night, unless we need water or to empty the tanks (every few days, usually). One factor in choosing an RV can be the size of the tanks and convenience of emptying, rinsing, etc. Most RVs I've seen have some sort of light to help with hooking up in darkness. A head lamp helps, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if more than 50 percent of the RVers have pets onboard.  They seem to find ways to function and continue enjoying the RV lifestyle.

As to the "B" I agree a "C" would be better with two medium size dogs.  Think of a really lousy cold rainy day.  You take the dogs out for a walk and come back to a van.  They shake off (as dogs seem to like to do) and water ends up all over the place.  On top of that, you have your own wet rain gear.  What do you do with all that wet stuff?  With a "C" you can hang your own wet things in the shower and there's room enough for all four of you to be comfortable.  Aside from two VW Westphalias in our early years, we started with Cs, 18', 22', and 30'.  I can't imagine being cooped up with two adults and two dogs in anything less than a smaller C.  Even with our larger As, if the weather is bad when we arrive at a site, we just don't connect anything until the weather clears, so I don't see that as an issue.  We never towed a car until later during our 30' C ownership so hooked and unhooked on a regular basis.  I have to say, it IS easier to have a car and not have to do that, but it's not that bad.

ArdraF

Welcome.  You're wise to do your homework ahead of time.  I agree with the renting a class C suggestion.  We full time with three dogs and I can tell you it can be a chore.  In a van.....arg.

After a trip in a rental you'll have a much greater sense of what you like and don't like.

Good luck...

Rick

Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback. This information is very helpful. We have much homework and thinking to do.

Like many others, we always take our dog camping with us.  We never board her and although we have left her at home before, she gets a little upset with us.  That probably won't happen any more, since the way dogs get revenge on their owners is usually messy... several times daily... for weeks!  :p  Anyway, my point is that there have been several occasions when we leave the camper for the day and she stays behind.  This would be at a campground with power hookups however, allowing us to leave the roof A/C running.  I also generally leave a window cracked as mentioned.  Never had any problems, but of course all of that will depend on the temperament of your dog(s) and how they react to being alone.  The good news is (and I'm betting all "camping dogs" are like this) after they get accustomed to the new RV it will be like a 2nd home.  They will be comfortable there, and they will protect it (and its occupants) just like they do the stick house.

Hi,
OK, I'll have to say it. If a B is too small, then jump to a short Class A. Two people don't really need the bunk over the cab, and in every other way the class A is superior; easier to drive, more room, more storage, about the same cost, etc., etc,... Our first RV was a 22 foot Flair and it worked great for two of us. We soon upgraded to a 32 foot Class A Georgie Boy with basically the same floor plan (bigger bed and shower and newer) and we've been there for the past 18 months (about 25,000 miles).
Look around here and you will find several recent threads on this subject; all of them will support what I've said.
Happy RV'ing,
Ernie

scottydl said:
Like many others, we always take our dog camping with us.  We never board her and although we have left her at home before, she gets a little upset with us.  That probably won't happen any more, since the way dogs get revenge on their owners is usually messy... several times daily... for weeks!  :p  Anyway, my point is that there have been several occasions when we leave the camper for the day and she stays behind.  This would be at a campground with power hookups however, allowing us to leave the roof A/C running.  I also generally leave a window cracked as mentioned.  Never had any problems, but of course all of that will depend on the temperament of your dog(s) and how they react to being alone.  The good news is (and I'm betting all "camping dogs" are like this) after they get accustomed to the new RV it will be like a 2nd home.  They will be comfortable there, and they will protect it (and its occupants) just like they do the stick house.
Thanks for these ideas from the dogs' point of view. Our dogs are well-behaved when left alone; they keep each other company. I like your idea of the RV becoming their second home.

Ernie n Tara said:
Hi,
OK, I'll have to say it. If a B is too small, then jump to a short Class A. Two people don't really need the bunk over the cab, and in every other way the class A is superior; easier to drive, more room, more storage, about the same cost, etc., etc,... Our first RV was a 22 foot Flair and it worked great for two of us. We soon upgraded to a 32 foot Class A Georgie Boy with basically the same floor plan (bigger bed and shower and newer) and we've been there for the past 18 months (about 25,000 miles).
Look around here and you will find several recent threads on this subject; all of them will support what I've said.
Happy RV'ing,
Ernie
Interesting thoughts. Thanks! I never would have considered that. You're right about the bunk. We're too old to go climbing up there (and climbing down during the night for trips to the bathroom). I wouldn't have thought of the Class A as easier to drive, so this is intriguing as well.

Badger Gal said:
Interesting thoughts. Thanks! I never would have considered that. You're right about the bunk. We're too old to go climbing up there (and climbing down during the night for trips to the bathroom). I wouldn't have thought of the Class A as easier to drive, so this is intriguing as well.

Common misconception... that a Class A must be impossible to drive, because look at it!  It's like a huge gigantic BUS!  ;)  It does take some getting used to, but the learning curve is pretty short and Class A's are superior in almost every way.  In a Class C, the cab and bunk would be wasted space (when camping) for two adults and two dogs.  In Class A's, the front seats generally swivel around and become part of the living area when you are parked, and the windshield is like a gigantic picture window!

Badger Gal,
One more comment; essentially all Class A's have a generator (many C's do as well) so you can run the AC on the road or when you leave the dog(s) in the MH. Very few motor homes will stay cool in 90 deg. + weather without running the coach AC although a C may trap the cool dash air in the drivers area better. We usually run AC when we stop to eat or are away during the day in hot weather.
As to ease of driving; a recent (post ~ 2000) A will have a wider track, is about the same width, may have less overhang back of the rear wheels (a good thing), and is much easier to see out of. It all adds up to easier to drive. It is also built on a heavier chasis
Ernie

Hi, everyone,

Just wanted to update this thread. We recently went to an RV show and talked to a RoadTrek dealer and an owner/"ambassador." They both said that the temperature inside the rig could be maintained for the dogs when the humans step out for a brief while.

In the summer, it's just a matter of turning on the temperature-activated ceiling fan/vent or turning on the rig's AC, which can run off propane. Of course you'd also take the usual precautions: park in the shade, use sunshades on the windshield if necessary, and don't do this at all if you're visiting Las Vegas in August.  ;)

If the weather's cold, you could use the rig's furnace, of course.

They thought it was quite doable, and I don't think they were giving me a snow job. Of course, we're talking brief absences...say, to eat lunch in a cafe where dogs aren't allowed. You wouldn't want to leave the dogs alone in the RoadTrek for hours on end, no matter what the weather.

Badger Gal

"You wouldn't want to leave the dogs alone in the RoadTrek for hours on end, no matter what the weather."

I don't agree (OK! I agree for a van or B/RoadTrek). We have a dog and routinely leave him in the MH for hours with the AC's on. He's happy; usually found on the dash watching the world go by (and not barking). As long as he gets his walks, he's  happy and we can go kayaking or whatever (often out to eat or swimming for a couple of hours). If you can leave him at home, you can leave him in a Motor Home.
Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom