Jeep Liberty as toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

As my wife and myself age we are thinking of replacing the Jeep Wrangler with the Jeep Liberty as a toad.  We have back problems and need a softer ride. Has anyone on this forum had the Wrangler & the Liberty so I could get a report on how smooth a ride the Liberty is compared to the Wrangler. What I am most concerned about is the Liberty & the Wrangler seem to use the same coil suspension. If that is true I find it hard to believe that just the longer wheel base on the Liberty would make that much of a difference in the ride when you hit potholes. Thanks in advance Art

The two major parts of good ride are wheelbase and weight.>>>Dan (We have a 2003 Liberty as a daily driver and really like it)

we have a jeep liberty but not as a towed. We love it. as far as potholes anything with a short wheelbase is not going to give you a great ride. By the time the front wheels are out of the pothole the back wheels are going in

We too have a Liberty and like it.  One thing to make sure is that in order for it to be towable without modification, it must be 4 wheel drive, the 2 wheel drive model are not.

Ed

I think the Liberty will be a sizable improvement over the Wrangler due to the somewhat longer wheelbase 106" vs 95"), but both qualify as "short wheelbase". If you want a nice ride, you will want something larger yet.

We love our 2004 Jeep Grand Cheroke Lerado, it is very comfortable and only 4100# ready to tow.  You didn't state if you were looking for used or new.  The 2005 and newer weigh more than a Liberty.

I have a 2008 Liberty that I use as a toad and dailey driver. It drives nice and actually is smoother than my DW's longer wheel base SUV. The Liberty has more miles on it being towed than it has driven. Also I have lower back problems and find the Liberty seats are comfortable but that might change with height and weight.

I owned a 93 jeep wrangler for about 5 years and we currently have a 2007 Jeep Liberty as our toad. The Liberty's right is night and day compared to the Wrangler.

I always joked around saying never pick your nose in a wrangler you might hit your brain.

Our Liberty is the 4 wheel drive 6 speed manual.

Ken

I too tow a Liberty but would be the last to classify the ride as smooth.  Friends ride with me and comment on the harshness of the ride.  All I say is 'it's a Jeep, it's supposed to ride this way'.  Having said this, I really do like the Liberty and if I were to wreck it, I would look for another.

I think the Liberty rides as well as any short wheel base vehicle.  Yo have to go up in length and weight to get a really good ride, but the Liberty (and similar SUVs) are decent. Certainly nothing you could call uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom