rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Alternate venue to QZ anyone?  (Read 23181 times)

Jim Dick

• Former Staff
  • ---
Re: Alternate venue to QZ anyone?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 09:02:34 AM »
Jim, there's no doubt that you've captured much of the beauty of the desert in many of your photos.

Thanks, Tom. I try and sometimes it works. :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 09:06:46 AM »
I can't think of anything that would be as divisive to the forum as to schedule another rally anywhere but Quartzsite for the last week of January.

I assume that wasn't a reference to my motives; I'm usually criticized for being the opposite of devisive and I try to avoid devisive people.   

QZ is certainly unique and has an attraction for a lot of people. Like you, I wouldn't support holding a rally at a time that clashes with another rally, for reasons that you and others have stated. If attendees prefer QZ, so be it. OTOH there's nothing "wrong" with seeing if there's interest in alternative venues. We might even get higher attendance, but who knows.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 09:09:13 AM »
Jim,

In addition to your photos, last year you and Pat opened our eyes to seeing the beauty that we would probably have otherwise missed. You did that in several locations, including on the back roads not too far from our home.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 09:15:08 AM »
After hearing from others about dust and conserving water Sue was willing to come to QZ ONCE because I was so set on doing so.

After experiencing this ytear we have already agreed to moodify our general wandering next year to be back in January. We have had a great time doing things you can only do here so plan on being here next January. Tried to post some pictures last night showing why we have enjoyed the week-will try again.

See you all in QZ next January! 8) 8) 8)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2006, 10:02:19 AM »
LOL Jeff, I suspect that, if the concensus is to stay in QZ, we'll be back although it might be for a reduced time. Chris just has a blast around the people and I enjoy the one-on-one discussions. It was also good to get out of the cold and rain at home.

Re the photo uploads - remember that there's a 256K limit per file/photo and 500K limit total for all files/pics attached to a single message, although you can attch additional photos to replies to your original message. If it fails again, please let me know what the error message says &/or email me the photos.

Oops, looks like you added the pics this morning.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 10:04:03 AM by Tom »

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 10:17:57 AM »
I love QZ & will always return...even though I might be the only one of the Framily there.<G>

However I would like to go to the Texas Gulf Coast & propose we move the Moab Rally to this location....Let the fur fly.<BG

Well we have been to the Texas Gulf coast and although we were impressed we were not favorably impressed.  Would we return to the gulf coast probably not.  Will we return to QZ you bet we will.  Will we return to Moab you bet we will.  Would we attend a rally at another Venue probably as long as it doesn't interfer with our plans for QZ or Moab.

I love the QZ desert and Moab.  One great thing about Moab there is so much to see some of the most beautiful country going to Moab, at Moab, and on the way from Moab.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 10:21:50 AM »
I assume that wasn't a reference to my motives; I'm usually criticized for being the opposite of devisive and I try to avoid devisive people.

I don't attempt to divine anyones motives, I was just stating MY opinion, which seems to be validated by many of the other replies in this topic.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 10:55:14 AM »
Tom!

If it ain't broke, why try to fix it??????

Aye, there are a few folks who can't handle the setting.  Even my dear friend Audrey is among those, and I invited her and Shayne here.  But do you really believe you can satisfy 100% of our members 100% of the time?

No dust, no Smoke!  The Admiral and I have firmly scheduled our annual tour to include QZ again next year.

Bernie's message is lovely.  The Admiral and I will hope to share his campfire here next year, come hell or high water.  This rally has a long standing tradition.  Tradition is important to a framily and is the life blood of a framily.  Let us not begin tearing down our traditions.  Especially this one as it is now a well founded tradition.

If there are folks who cannot handle the dust, then why not another rally more to their liking at another time?

Something must have been right about QZ.  Who can argue that is was a very very successful rally?  Keep it at QZ and it will keep on growing.
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2006, 11:00:33 AM »
AMEN

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2006, 12:07:52 PM »
Smoky,

As I said in my other reply to you, all I did was ask an innocent question, more like thinkiing aloud. Quite honestly, I'm very disturbed by some of the replies I've read. I have no hidden agenda or sinister motive and merely suggested something that might better suit some folks while being acceptable to others. As you'll see from my messages, I don't even have an alternate venue in mind.

I'm (almost) always open to other folks' opinions and suggestions, and all I ask is that folks give my comments the same courtesy.

You're right when you suggest that we can't satisfy everyone all the time.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
It appears that many are disturbed that the question was even asked.
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2006, 12:18:17 PM »
I was just stating MY opinion

So my assumption was correct  ;D

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2006, 12:39:22 PM »
Yes ;)
2007 GMC Canyon

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2006, 06:03:36 PM »
Tom:

>> Thanks for the "judgement" Bob, but I think you misinterpret my intentions. I have no desire to change the opinions of desert diehards by merely floating an idea.
====
Desert die hards?  ??? How about, those that love the desert for a few weeks in January . . .

Note that I prefaced my comment with, "Well, I disagree, Tom -- and in a constructive way." You seem to have left that out of your reference. Sorry that I assumed wrong that it was OK to constructively comment on your statement. That was NOT a judgment . . .

>> FWIW my references to people complaining about dust weren't merely to some coments made in jest; Without thinking about it, I know of at least four couples who have stated they won't be coming back, none of them in jest.
====
I referenced those notes so far in this thread -- and didn't know of the other 4 out of 50 or so couples that attended that you mention. I certainly had more than that make an effort to let me know how much they enjoyed their time at QZ, and said they would look forward to coming back next year.

However, you seem to have missed the point. Forum members here went to the trouble years ago to start something as special as our QZ rally -- then joined by many others each year nurtured it with a lot of effort to make it as good as it can be. Now we have just had the biggest and best yet. So rather than helping to make it even bigger next year, you show up for a couple of years, then "Float a suggestion" to move it somewhere else. I view that as a suggestion that should not have been floated -- considering how much effort many here have made over the years to make "this" location special.

My comment was that I thought it would have been more appropriate considering how strongly many here feel about our QZ gathering and how much work they have put into it, to have your suggested Dust and Wind Free Rally on another set of dates.

>> At no time have I suggested they, or anyone else, did not enjoy the rally, so I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from.
====
I never said you did.

>> If you're going to quote me, please get my words correct. If I hated coming to Quartzsite, I would not have been at the rally.
====
I "have" quoted you correctly. You mentioned to me personally and I overheard you say to others how much you dislike coming to Quartzsite. You said something very close to, "The only reason I come down here is because of the forum members". My response to you, if you recall, was an assurance of how much the forum members appreciate your coming down regardless of your feelings about the location.

So you hate, dislike -- whatever strong negatives you want to use about your strong feelings against coming to this location. No one has said anything about your feelings for the forum members.
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2006, 06:51:02 PM »
"Desert die hards"

You know, Boondocking in the dessert for 2 weeks in January was kind of fun, to be honest what was even more fun was the community we have built up here in the forum, the nightly campfires, the friends and gatherings.

But now that January is over I'm parked somewhere where I can get a shower, long hot shower, without worrying about anything that even resembles a water tank, or lp tank for that matter, I'm parked where the generator does not need to run "A couiple of hours morning and night"  (30 amp hookup, they had have 50's but I don't need one)

I'm parked where I can even visit a casion w/o driving (Circus Circus KOA)

I like this too,  Daughter is dropping by to take us to dinner. (Another good thing) when the black tank fills, all I need to do to dump is pull the handle.

So, once in a while, desert boondocking is fun, QZ has a ton of other advantages

And once the party is over... Well full hookups are nice too, expensive here at the KOA, but nice
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2006, 07:07:33 PM »
Bob

What I took issue with was being told that it was inappropriate for me to post my question. Taking issue with the subject is fine, but not with me personally for asking. I would have no issue with a response such as "I think we should return to QZ because ....", provided of course that other opinions are respected.

you show up for a couple of years, then "Float a suggestion" to move it somewhere else.

Why do you insist on attacking me personally? One reason I didn't "show up" in some prior years was the fact that I was continually travelling around the world and had other commitments on the occasions I was home. FWIW I was online every day wherever I was in the world, helping manage the forum from the back room. Later, when I first retired and had the time, our old coach was no longer in a useable condition and wouldn't have made it to QZ.

When we finally bought our current coach, the first stop on the maiden voyage was the Moab rally. Later on that first trip we made a conscious effort to visit &/or camp with a number of forum members across the U.S. and even Canada. That same trip I even visited our old hosts (CS) in Columbus, pleading the case for our forum. The very next QZ rally, we were there. Heck, we even went back to QZ 7-10 days later and spent a couple of nights at the "last campfires" before heading elsewhere with forum members. Please don't dismiss this as simply showing up.

As for the (mis)quote, let me help you remember it correctly:

"I hate the desert and Chris hates it even more", which I qualified with an explanation that we have a real issue with the dirt and the dust. Yes, I clearly stated that the people were the reason we came this year, but that shouldn't be construed as me hating QZ. As others have said, it is indeed a unique place.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2006, 07:15:03 PM »
what was even more fun was the community we have built up here in the forum, the nightly campfires, the friends and gatherings.

That's so true John. I really enjoyed meeting and getting to know lots of folks I hadn't met in person in addition to renewing old acquaintances.

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2006, 07:36:39 PM »
>> What I took issue with was being told that it was inappropriate for me to post my question. Taking issue with the subject is fine, but not with me personally for asking.
====
Well, that's where it stands, Tom. I DO take issue with you personally for what you posted. It was, in my opinion, totally unappropriate -- and showed a lack of feeling for a bunch of nice people. And not a hint of understanding on your part of why it was unappropriate.

Am off this thread -- that should not be here in the first place.

Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2006, 07:53:42 PM »
Bob,

I respectfully suggest you read our forum rules (click the Rules button above). More or less the same ones we had at the old forum venue and something we all agreed to when registering for an account here in the current forum.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 07:55:59 PM by Tom »

Jim Dick

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2006, 08:25:57 PM »
Tom,

It's always fun to take someone new out into the desert and mountains and show them what lies in wait. :) Really happy you enjoyed it.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2006, 08:43:51 PM »
Mike and I will be in Quartzsite next January whether anyone else is there or not. As for the dust, I really didn't notice it that much. And don't remember the wind blowing a lot.....we've been rock & rolled by the wind a lot worse in other places (Texas, Kansas, and Gulf Breeze come to mind).

Anyway, we'll see a bunch of you in Moab in May and more of you in Quartzsite next January. And I only hope we're lucky enough to be able to spend a whole month in the beautiful Arizona desert.

Wendy
Desert Rat
Wendy and Mike
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2006, 09:00:25 PM »
By the way:

What I posted about the Texas Hill Country is a possible replacement for Moab, NOT FOR QUARTZSITE.

While the hill country is probably the more desireable place in Texas it just doesn't hold any comparison to Moab or anywhere in Southern Utah or Northern  Arizona.  There just isn't much to do or see getting there from any direction.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2006, 09:06:09 PM »
Well, that's where it stands, Tom. I DO take issue with you personally for what you posted. It was, in my opinion, totally unappropriate -- and showed a lack of feeling for a bunch of nice people. And not a hint of understanding on your part of why it was unappropriate.

Gosh Bob,
I see no harm in  anyone throwing out simple suggestions for input.  I hate dust and dirt and  yet love Quartzsite and like the people who attend. I think the opportunity to bash about ideas is a good thing as everyone gets to air their opinion.  Granted we may not all agree with one another and  eventually a strong  consensus will emerge but I would hate  it if I felt I could not  "test the waters" with a  new suggestion.  Whenever I have organized any activities for a Forum Rally I took onto consideration things we've not done before.  
I did not take any offense  or even have a hint that a lack of feeling was shown by suggesting an alternate venue to Quartzsite.  Just my humble interpretaion of the discussion.  
Betty Brewer
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2006, 09:14:20 PM »
Couldn't we talk about additional rally sites rather than talking about replacing Quartzsite or Moab? We lived in San Antonio and I like the Texas Hlll Country but wouldn't go there instead of Quartzsite or Moab. Same holds true for the Gulf Coast. But I'm always open for adding another trip in the RV.

Wendy and Mike
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2006, 11:04:20 PM »
Couldn't we talk about additional rally sites rather than talking about replacing Quartzsite or Moab?

That's probably a good idea Wendy, given the feathers that my suggestion ruffled. Any suggestions for when or where? Might not be a bad idea to look at an overview of other possible conflicts such as manufacturers' pre rallies, FMCA, etc.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2006, 11:45:24 PM »
I did not take any offense  or even have a hint that a lack of feeling was shown by suggesting an alternate venue to Quartzsite.

Thanks Betty. I was beginning to believe I was some evil person with less than honorable intentions. I built my career on personal relationships and mutual trust with people throughout the world. My contacts on various continents knew they could implicitly trust whatever I said, that I was empathetic and that my only agenda was to help solve their issues. I've tried to apply the same degree of integrity to my work in the forum.

Jim Dick

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2006, 07:13:57 AM »
Tom,

I feel the same as Betty and I don't believe anyone that might have suggested an alternative would have received any different response. I think QZ is so embedded into the Framily psyche that a negative response would be normal. I sure hope nobody would hold ill will because of an innocent suggestion. I know I don't!!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2006, 08:34:57 AM »
Thanks Jim. I know you'e a straight shooter like myself and felt your prior responses were, in a word, appropriate.

This is one of those times when something innocently written with good intentions blew up into something it needn't have and I'm left wishing I hadn't made the suggestion in the first place. But, as someone said to me at QZ (and I agreed), it's impossible to take back what has been said/written, even if I admitted it was a dumb idea.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »
Lest we all forget, it wasn't too many years ago that subjects like unwed pregnancies, politics, religion, and other subjects were considered taboo. Indeed, some of them still raise some people's hackles, and are best avoided. Recently, a group of people decided to spend the New Years at Laughlin, another group went to Lake Pleasant, and still others went elsewhere or simply stayed home. Granted, the New Year's Eve celebration is not steeped in tradition like QZ is, but the point is that reasonable people should be able to broach any subject (personal afronts aside) without hesitation or fear of retribution. Several suggestion as to other ralllies (not as a replacement for QZ) have already been presented, so let's keep the dialogue open and maybe find an additional place for us to enjoy each other's company.

Too much ink has already been given this innocent remark by Tom, so let's either discuss it like rational people or let it die here and now.     
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2006, 09:14:53 AM »
Agreed Karl and thanks for your comments. Taking your suggestion, I'm locking this topic to prevent further dowhill movement.

BTW any time I don't respond well to rational comments, feel free to get out the 2x4.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 09:31:15 AM by Tom »