Alternate venue to QZ anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love QZ & will always return...even though I might be the only one of the Framily there.<G>

However I would like to go to the Texas Gulf Coast & propose we move the Moab Rally to this location....Let the fur fly.<BG

I am highly disappointed the subject of a change in venue has even come up.

Didn't mean to highly disappoint anyone Ron. But, with several folks complaining about the conditions, it was appropriate to raise the subject. Heck, we might even get higher attendance at a different location. I have friends who have never camped at QZ but have driven through the area and have told me emphatically they wouldn't stay there if I paid them.

I doubt we'll ever get all that dirt out of our coach or the Burb, and this year's leftover just adds to last year's. Doesn't do much for my health or the condition or value of our coach.

I have no issue with the fact that some folks like the desert, and similarly folks shouldn't have an issue with those who don't. Just different strokes for different folks. As I said earlier, the decision will be made by the attendees.

Ron said:
The Quartzsite Rally has become a RV Forum tradition.? Wouldn't be the same anywhere else.

IMHO Traditions are formed by doing things over and over.  I see no reason not to create some new traditions.  When we fail to change we fail to live fully ,  as life is  a series of changes.  I love the desert but not the dirt, wind and cold.
There are  many wonderful places on the planet, I think we deny ourselves when we fail to branch out to do  new things.  We selected the RV lifestyle to travel.  If we only do the same things over and over we might just as well "stay home."  I  want to experience new places  but  I want to do this with the same "old" people.  Truth is I don't care where we go, as long as  the forum Framily of friends  will go there too.
Tell me more about the Gulf coast. 
Hey why not a new  place in Utah instead of Moab?  We've been on the trails many times. Would Guf Coast work in that time frame?

Betty

Tom said:
But, with several folks complaining about the conditions, it was appropriate to raise the subject. Heck, we might even get higher attendance at a different location. I have friends who have never camped at QZ but have driven through the area and have told me emphatically they wouldn't stay there if I paid them.

Well, I disagree, Tom -- and in a constructive way. I feel it was "inappropriate" after our most successful QZ rally to suggest changing the venue just because several folk kiddingly mentioned the dust -- such as Fred and Wendy. But that doesn't mean they did not enjoy the rally. You have openly admitted that you hate to come to QZ. So for you and others that feel the same way, it would be more appropriate to suggest another rally, on "another set of dates".

The fact that the one friend of yours freaked out when on anything but a paved road -- and another that has never attended but just passed through is little or no cause for the rest of us to even consider stopping the most successful rally the forum has ever had anywhere.

Yes, different strokes -- so have a rally for each set of strokes on different dates and places. Then attend the one that fits yours the best. But if something works for such a large group, why not let it continue to grow as it has each year since Fred and Daisy put it together for us.

Tom,

I can understand where some folks might not like the dust and not wish to return. That is their choice and their presence would be missed. Of course, we'd have more people about whom we could talk! :)

I don't feel it would be the least appropriate to move this rally anywere else. QZ, as I mentioned in my short tale, is unique. Yes, it is dusty but one must realize the desert contains a lot of dust. One must look beyond the obvious to see the beauty that lies all around. I haven't seen any other place where the sun plays over the mountains all day long changing the view of shadows and peaks. Where else have we seen sunsets of such beauty? No, QZ must remain where it is. Another rally would probably be more than welcome and attended by many of those that would still go to QZ. I have even thought it might be nice to do a rally in Mexico such as Puerto Penasco.(sp?) Texas might work though I haven't seen any place that would be great. There must be a spot somewhere.

Now people who just drive through without stopping and say they would never stay there are not looking at the desert for the beauty. I can see why some say that but one must stop and smell the cactus before deciding it just isn't for them. Just don't get their nose too close to the cactus :)

You are correct you will never get all the dust out of your vehicle. I have washed mine several times and the dealership washed it once. There's still dust on the vinyl portion of the spare tire cover that won't come out without heavy scrubbing. It does remind me of some great times, though. :)

One must look beyond the obvious to see the beauty that lies all around.

Jim, there's no doubt that you've captured much of the beauty of the desert in many of your photos.

I, too, will return to Q during the RV Show. It is with Quartzsite in mind that I bought my trailer, to rejoin the RVForum there.

I LOVE the flea markets at The Main Event, Rice Ranch, Tyson Wells and scattered about and was surprised to learn that some people have never gone to see all that is there. I hope that all went at least to the PowWow to see the beautiful things made locally.

An alternative to Moab would be nice where there is more space and more to do than 4-wheel. Or just an addition for those who don't want to do Moab.

I feel it was "inappropriate" after our most successful QZ rally to suggest changing the venue just because several folk kiddingly mentioned the dust -- such as Fred and Wendy.

Thanks for the "judgement" Bob, but I think you misinterpret my intentions. I have no desire to change the opinions of desert diehards by merely floating an idea. FWIW my references to people complaining about dust weren't merely to some coments made in jest; Without thinking about it, I know of at least four couples who have stated they won't be coming back, none of them in jest.

But that doesn't mean they did not enjoy the rally.

At no time have I suggested they, or anyone else, did not enjoy the rally, so I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from. Certainly not from anything I've written or said. I can't imagine anyone not ejoying the company of the wonderful folks who attend our rallies.

You have openly admitted that you hate to come to QZ.

If you're going to quote me, please get my words correct. If I hated coming to Quartzsite, I would not have been at the rally.

I can't think of anything that would be as divisive to the forum as to schedule another rally anywhere but Quartzsite for the last week of January. ?For those that don't like QZ, by all means, organize a rally somewhere else, but not that week if you want good attendance.

Those that don't like the dust and desert won't be happy anywhere but in a full service campground and we spend most of the year in those. ?QZ is a welcome break where we can relax and enjoy all the wonders that have been described so well by others in these messages. ?The challenge of going 8-9-10 days or more without the need of any services is part of the enjoyment. ?We were really glad to get a sewer hookup yesterday, however :)

Between the QZ and Moab rallies, we get to experience some of the most beautiful parts of our country and I would be very disappointed to miss either of those. ?We would attend other forum rallies and have been to several of the SE rallies, but only when we can fit our travel plans to allow it. ?We DO plan our travels to attend QZ and Moab, and that's the difference.

To Marlene and me, QZ is one of a kind. We love it and come back year after year in spite of the dust, the wind, the lack of grocery stores, the lines at the dump and to get into town and all the other issues. There is an ambiance, a beauty, a peacefulness that can be enjoyed in spite of all of the detractions. We will return with or without the Forum. The Forum brought us here in the first place and we sure hope that the Forum doesn't leave us here alone (it's good to see other Forumites who would return regardless also). Yes, we know that there are people who cannot handle the dust or the wind or whatever, but don't throw out this marvelous getaway for them, let's add another rally (how about the fall?) where these problems are not as severe and we can be with those who can't be with us at QZ?

I can't think of anything that would be as divisive to the forum as to schedule another rally anywhere but Quartzsite for the last week of January.

I assume that wasn't a reference to my motives; I'm usually criticized for being the opposite of devisive and I try to avoid devisive people. 

QZ is certainly unique and has an attraction for a lot of people. Like you, I wouldn't support holding a rally at a time that clashes with another rally, for reasons that you and others have stated. If attendees prefer QZ, so be it. OTOH there's nothing "wrong" with seeing if there's interest in alternative venues. We might even get higher attendance, but who knows.

Jim,

In addition to your photos, last year you and Pat opened our eyes to seeing the beauty that we would probably have otherwise missed. You did that in several locations, including on the back roads not too far from our home.

After hearing from others about dust and conserving water Sue was willing to come to QZ ONCE because I was so set on doing so.

After experiencing this ytear we have already agreed to moodify our general wandering next year to be back in January. We have had a great time doing things you can only do here so plan on being here next January. Tried to post some pictures last night showing why we have enjoyed the week-will try again.

See you all in QZ next January! 8) 8) 8)

LOL Jeff, I suspect that, if the concensus is to stay in QZ, we'll be back although it might be for a reduced time. Chris just has a blast around the people and I enjoy the one-on-one discussions. It was also good to get out of the cold and rain at home.

Re the photo uploads - remember that there's a 256K limit per file/photo and 500K limit total for all files/pics attached to a single message, although you can attch additional photos to replies to your original message. If it fails again, please let me know what the error message says &/or email me the photos.

Oops, looks like you added the pics this morning.

Terry A. Brewer said:
I love QZ & will always return...even though I might be the only one of the Framily there.<G>

However I would like to go to the Texas Gulf Coast & propose we move the Moab Rally to this location....Let the fur fly.<BG

Well we have been to the Texas Gulf coast and although we were impressed we were not favorably impressed.  Would we return to the gulf coast probably not.  Will we return to QZ you bet we will.  Will we return to Moab you bet we will.  Would we attend a rally at another Venue probably as long as it doesn't interfer with our plans for QZ or Moab.

I love the QZ desert and Moab.  One great thing about Moab there is so much to see some of the most beautiful country going to Moab, at Moab, and on the way from Moab.

Tom said:
I assume that wasn't a reference to my motives; I'm usually criticized for being the opposite of devisive and I try to avoid devisive people.

I don't attempt to divine anyones motives, I was just stating MY opinion, which seems to be validated by many of the other replies in this topic.

Tom!

If it ain't broke, why try to fix it??????

Aye, there are a few folks who can't handle the setting.  Even my dear friend Audrey is among those, and I invited her and Shayne here.  But do you really believe you can satisfy 100% of our members 100% of the time?

No dust, no Smoke!  The Admiral and I have firmly scheduled our annual tour to include QZ again next year.

Bernie's message is lovely.  The Admiral and I will hope to share his campfire here next year, come hell or high water.  This rally has a long standing tradition.  Tradition is important to a framily and is the life blood of a framily.  Let us not begin tearing down our traditions.  Especially this one as it is now a well founded tradition.

If there are folks who cannot handle the dust, then why not another rally more to their liking at another time?

Something must have been right about QZ.  Who can argue that is was a very very successful rally?  Keep it at QZ and it will keep on growing.

Smoky,

As I said in my other reply to you, all I did was ask an innocent question, more like thinkiing aloud. Quite honestly, I'm very disturbed by some of the replies I've read. I have no hidden agenda or sinister motive and merely suggested something that might better suit some folks while being acceptable to others. As you'll see from my messages, I don't even have an alternate venue in mind.

I'm (almost) always open to other folks' opinions and suggestions, and all I ask is that folks give my comments the same courtesy.

You're right when you suggest that we can't satisfy everyone all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom