Where is my power converter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazerz

I have a 20' 1988 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye.  Can anyone tell me where my power converter/inverter is located.

Thanks,
TB

I found mine by listering for it to come on.  Now that only will work, of course, if yours is functional.  In fact, when we got the rig, we had zippo RV experience and I kept hearing this 'thing' some on and off.  So I posted here and someone told me what is was.  You could also maybe contact Fleetwood and they might know.

On that model it is almost sure integrated with the 120v circuit breaker panel, which probably also has the 12vdc fuses. I'll even bet it is a Magnetec 6330 power center.

See if you have something that looks like the photos in this article:
http://www.bestconverter.com/MagnetekParallax-to-WFCO_ep_8-1.html

R&K and Gary:  Thanks for the replies.

Gary.  This is the exact power center I have.  The one identified in the link that you posted.  The link has provided some useful info that may help find the problem I am having with blowing chassis, (under dash), fuses.

Again, thanks,
TB

I know that my rig is over 20 yrs old.  But can anyone tell me the quality of the Magnetec 6330 power center.  Should I be looking at upgrading.  I know that may be a dumb question, meaning if it aint' broke don't fix it.  Any comments would be appreciated.
TB

Replacing the converter portion is highly recommended. The 6300's battery charger/converter is a pretty poor piece of goods. Very basic even when it was new, and the technology at that time was crude by today's standards. An upgrade will save you on batteries in the future.

Replacing the 6300 electronics with the upgrade kit from Bestconverter.com is a good improvement for $210.  Or for maybe $250 you can put in a brand name 3-stage converter/charger.
http://www.bestconverter.com/45-Amp-Converter-Replacement-Kit_p_46.html

But before you dump money into it, perhaps you could tell us what the problem is?  Maybe something simple...

Gary:  Thanks for the response.  The information on this site and my research suggests that I should upgrade.  I probably will upgrade soon.

THE PROBLEM:  The problem that I am having is I keep blowing fuses under the dash, i.e., chassis fuses.  My genset was working well the first couple of time that I was boondocking.  Then one day I went to start the generator and I only got clicking sounds.  The generator would not start.  I also noticed the choke light came on.  I was confused.  I drove to my next destination and noticed that my cruise control was not working and my "charging" gage was at zero, so I concluded that i had blown a fuse.  I pulled the fuses under the dash and noticed that the fuse to the "gages" and the "horn" were blown.  When I got to my next destination, I replaced both fuses.  The gen started right up.  However, since that time the gen will not start.  I only get the clicking sound and everytime I blow the fuse to the "gages.  I also have a short someplace because the fuse to the "horn" will blow as soon as you try and put a fuse into the socket.  Ever since, I have not been able to get the generator to start.

MY RESEARCH:  However, the research I have done on this site suggests that I may have a battery problem.  I will be at the rig tomorrow and I am going to try and jump start the generator to see if my house battery is bad.  I only have one house battery and it is an AC Delco Voyager Marine battery.  If I had the space, I would probably replace the single battery with 2 6v GC batteries.

MY VERY BRIEF DIAGNOSTIC:  I placed my volt meter on the battery and it showed 12.6v, but when I turned on "one" interior 12v light the voltage on the battery dropped to 3.2v.  It appears that my battery can not hold a load.  Will be taking the batter in for a load test.

Thanks for any suggestions,
TB

Also, I can not try my emergency/aux start button because they are too far apart.  My arms are just not that long.  That is why I am going to try a direct jump to the generator.  :D

I placed my volt meter on the battery and it showed 12.6v, but when I turned on "one" interior 12v light the voltage on the battery dropped to 3.2v.  It appears that my battery can not hold a load.

I'm surprised a dead battery showed a full 12.6 volts under no load.  That sounds more like a high resistance connection to the battery.

Did you measure on the battery terminals themselves or on one of the wire lugs connected to the battery?

Lou Schneider said:
Did you measure on the battery terminals themselves or on one of the wire lugs connected to the battery?

Lou:  Thanks for the reply.

On the battery terminals themselves.  This may not be the correct way to check the battery.  I am mechanically inclined, but a complete idiot when it comes to electrical.  I am trying to learn the electrical aspect.  Even bought my first multimeter.

TB

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom