Upgrading TV to LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjones

I have a 2008 Winnebago Vista 32K. I am in the process of changing my 24?RCA CRT to a 32? LED HDTV. I have looked
for a video distribution box.  Several are listed, but all I have found are Winegard and
they do not make them any more.  Does anyone have an alternative to Winegard.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

jack

What type of connections do you need to switch, coax, composite, component, HDMI?

We need to know if you want to switch RF, HDMI, Baseband Video (RCA Connectors)

It depends on what you'll be connecting to the new TV, you might have all the selection you need built into the TV.

I will need to connect the following: (1) winegrad amplified roof mounted antenna, coaxial cable. Panasonic DVD recorder Model DMR-ES400, coaxial cable or s-video. DirecTV plus HD DVR, hdmi cable or RGB.  The TV will be a LG32LE5300.  I will
be installing another TV in the bedroom, but not now. The Winegard VS53AV was what I was looking for.
Thanks again. 

There is this one still for sale but it's $170.00
http://www.summitsource.com/rv-video-distribution-center-signal-selector-switch-6-input-4-output-winegard-vs6412-satellite-dish-offair-tv-antenna-6-in-4-out-amplified-12-vdc-part-vs6412-p-7512.html

I'll fuss a little with your requirements and get back to you tommorow.

Jack

I worked up the attached document for your TV upgrade wiring.

Ned please review this document and see if you have anything to add or correct. I'd sure like your input.

Attachments

• TV Drawings.pdf
    118.2 KB · Views: 58
Dick,

Thanks, for all the time and effort you put into this wiring upgrade diagram.  I have saved it to my laptop and will print it out.
I will do the final measurement today to see if the LG 32 will fit. I then plan to order the TV. I will post pics of the upgrade.

thanks again for your help.

jack

1. You can't send a satellite antenna output through a splitter, you have to use a multi-switch.

2. You show component and L/R audio cables, should be composite video and L/R audio.

3. SVHS should be S-video.  Most devices with multiple output connections would include a coax output so the RF modulator would not be needed.

4. Instead of all the A/B switches, replace the satellite splitter with a multi-switch with one output to the second satellite receiver, and use a standard video switch box for the antenna/cable/DVD coax outputs and the 2 TVs.

Make those changes and I'll take another look.  It should be much simpler.

Thanks Ned.

Jack

I thought about this last night and this scheme really has problems written all over it. Doing DTV in the bedroom like Ned says is problematic at best. The reason is the receiver needs to send a 12VDC signal back to the antenna or LNB selector and also the cable installed in most Motor Homes to the bedroom is just the wrong type.

So I reworked the drawings to a much simpler approach. It does eliminate the DTV in the bedroom but has many other advantages with control and Independence of control and such. I did out coach this way and we've been happy with the setup.

Attachments

• TV Drawings Simple.pdf
    103.9 KB · Views: 28
Ned

I'll explain what I was thinking.

Your items.

1: I really mislabelled the DTV Splitter, this has to be bought from DTV. A distribution device that selects both LNB's and steers the correct output to the individual receivers. I still don't like it because the cable going to the bedroom isn't normally RG6 and the RG58 or RG59 just doesn't provide enough bandpass.
2:The TV has Componet inputs and the DVD has Component outputs and will yield a better picture than composit.
3:Dated myself again, SVHS was the original nomenclature for S-Video. The document on the DVD didn't show a modulator inside the box. I was surprised, but it just wasn't there.
4:I agree, the switches are a pain. Direct TV should have something instead of switches. I still think not having DTV in the bedroom is a lot simpler. If another RG6 cable could be run through the coach than it would be doable.

Thanks for the input

While I agree that the RG59 is not as good as the RG6, I doubt you will be able to see the difference in the <40' that is in the RV.  A way to check would be to take a piece of RG 6 and just lay it on the floor to the back and look at them side by side. 

FWIW, I can't see the difference on my SVHS TVs although I may when I install the HDTVs but I have not done that yet.  I do have a way to get the new cable back to the bedroom if needed.  It is a real pain but there are 2 options in my Dutch Star, the ceiling and the bays both have a way to do it.

We took a similar approach to Theberrys but took it one big step further.  I ran a 50' HDMI cable from a second HDMI out on the HD DVR to the bedroom and use an RF remote control so the DVR in the salon can be controlled from the bedroom.  We cannot watch two different Satellite programs in two different rooms that way but we never do that anyway.

The only thing we use the original switch box for now is for the rooftop antenna amp built into it and to switch between park cable and OTA.

The OP said the CRT tv was being replaced with an HD LCD but no further mention was made of actually makeing other HD changes.  Is there going to be a new dish and receiver installed?  Otherwise the HDMI discussion is moot I believe.

I also didn't realize that SVHS originally referenced S-Video.  I thought it was Super VHS tape format.  :eek:

Good Luck

Rick

Rick

In my history the SVHS players were the first to use the Y/C output that has become known a S-Video so the terms were interchangeable at the time.
Here is a article that clearly states that my use of SVHS is incorrect. It's kinda like V=IR use to be E=IR, and now the food pyramid is upside down compaired to my oldschool thinking. :-[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

Sorry

Thanks Dick.  Terminology constantly changing I guess.

Don't even get me started on the whole BC/AD conversion to whatever it is now... BCE and CE or something like that.  :p

PC gone wild.

Rick

Ordered the TV to day. I decided to get a 26" LG LED.  It will fit inside the space where the CRT was.  The 32" was to wide. Dick, Ned, Jim thanks for your time and expertice.  I have saved the new diagram and instructions.

Thanks again. I have few pics. and will cont. to keep updating.

jack

Attachments

• m-old-tv.jpg
    m-old-tv.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 18
  • m-Upgrade of TV_2.jpg
    m-Upgrade of TV_2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 26
  • m-Upgrade of TV_1.jpg
    m-Upgrade of TV_1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 26
Jack
However you hook it up you'll really notice the weight delta. Our coach a National Tradewinds has historically had windshield problems and I really believe the weight of the old Glass TV in the overhead compartment had a lot to do with the flexing that caused them to crack or in some cases even pop out.

Ned
I missed the memo as well and it really doesn't make sense to call it Volts instead of EMF but here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohms_law and some younger folks look at me funny when I say E=IR. Go Figure.
Of course my father-in-law insisted I was wrong using electron theory instead of the conventional theory of current flow. Time marches on, I'm just not as quick as I use to be.

Jack

Back on subject.
Here is a link to pictures of our LCD swapout project, both front and bedroom.

http://cid-ae67fff392766057.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/RV%20Mods/TV%20Upgrades

Just double click on a picture to see a larger size.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom