the usual newcomer dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5n2mom

I am planning a  cross country 3 month trip with 2 children- after that trip I don't expect to use the rig much..weekend trips, 2-3 hours away. My budget is pretty low for the RV--$8000. And I want some thing small(20 FT?) with a cabover bunk and 1 other sleeper. I've looked at older class B's, short C's, 5th wheels and slide ins.  I drive a 15 passenger van daily so the B's are very familiar, I will be selling it after the trip either way to buy a3/4-1 ton kingcab pick-up so if I went with a 5th or slide in the cost of the truck would not  be "additional"- although the less spent on the camper the more left to add on the truck!

here are the ???s

Would you buy an old "cheap" 5th wheel or slide in for a couple years use?
Is my thinking right -put $ in the truck. if we like the 5th or slide upgrade after the 3month trip.
Can one short lady and one teen girl manage the 5th wheel?
Can I even drive a 5th wheel-I can't parallel park. :)
I first wanted a B as they drive most like my van- and  are nice for  an overnight park in WalMart etc,  but the room in 5th or slide is nice..., for primarly one trip  tho I need to make the most economical choice.. what do you think that is(or where do I find that) , all together-fuel-insurance-registration-NOT including price of the rig?
Am I missing something important in my (rambling) thoughts?.....................THANKS!!!!!!

Cutting aside the economic issues, three things come to mind.  If you cannot parallel park then you may have problems if you have to back up a fifth wheel.  That could be learned though in a parking lot with patience and time.  The second issue is security.  Class B's or C's will give you more security when you pull into a rest area or Wal-Mart for the night as you don't have to step out of your vehicle.  The third is rather personal and really none of my business but I'm sure I'm saying what others will be thinking..... are you considering letting your teenager drive the fifth wheel?  Or are you talking about helping out with hooking up?  Helping with the setup is one thing; I personally think a teenager couldn't possibly have the experience to handle an RV, however responsible he or she is.

5n2mom,

Finding a dependable/reliable RV of any size under $8,000 may be difficult.  You would hate to break down half-way cross country and have a big expense in repairs; let alone being stranded if you decide it's too much to repair.  However, good deals are out there.

If this were me, I'd buy the new truck now and try to find an older slide in camper.  A slide in camper will easily sleep and house 2 children and an adult.  I'm not sure in other states; but in California slide in campers do not have to be registered; and the insurance is fairly low.  However, sometimes, the difficult thing about slide in campers is taking it on and off the truck.  That can be a little nerve wracking.

Marsha~

Thank you for those replies.  :) As brought up, I also have wondered if I would feel safe going from the truck to the camper, or if I was ask to move in the middle of the night in a 5th wheel...not sure. But as was pointed out any B or C in my price range is likely to have issues. The decision has me thinking in circles.  And to answer the question- the teen does not legally drive- I wondered more if we could unhitch/rehitch by ourselves. We are capable gals-but I am short!

I think for security issues you are better off with the B or C.  We have a 5th wheel and hooking, unhooking etc. does not require a lot of muscle, but does require some thought to the process.  I see no reason why the two of you would be unable to manage. 

Being short may be a bit of an issue reaching the lock/unlock handle on the hitch, but can be solved by having a step stool or box in the truck to put outside to help you reach the handle over the driver's side of the bed rail.

If you intend to get a 3/4 ton truck later anyway an investment in that vehicle may be wise now.  If you are buying new then it should be very reliable and will be covered by warranty.  (Are you really going to need a 3/4 ton later?  Are you planning to use it as a tow vehicle?  I only ask, since the only good reason I can think of to get a 3/4 ton is for towing, other wise a half ton might be smarter.)

Best wishes for a safe and happy trip!

I'm getting the pickup to replace a 15 passenger van..I still need to seat 6, haul gear and tow boat or utility trailer on rare occasions..in all honesty my sons are in favor of the truck ( 4x4Chevy GMC/Diesel Duramax) and it could be over kill :) I was more putting that out there to take the cost of the truck out of the equation. If I found a 1/2 ton that  easily flew up our hill/ towed/ might take a slide in ,with 6man cab "I" wouldn't be opposed!

I anticipate getting 3/4 ton- but since Honest John asked if I was sure I needed it - I laid it out :) my boys have a strong preference and will tow more often than I. I do not plan to have camper on and tow at the sme time as we are very near the lake, but you never know- better too much truck I think (its only money, right  :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom