Do it yourselfer Mechanical Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dar

Where do the full-timers "do-it-yourselfers" do your oil changes and other engine maintenance? Do CG's allow for this or look the other way? Thanks

utahclaimjumper said:
Camp grounds do mind and don't turn their heads, I do mine in my garage.(within reason)>>>Dan

I don't know of any full-timers that have a garage? So I guess this means full-timers always have to take them in for service?

I have a gas engine motorhome, so I just take it to Wal-Mart.  Any Auto Center with a tall door (most of the newer ones) will do an oil change and lube for $50.

Number 1, start by asking the campground management. Some will let you if they know you won't make a mess.

If they allow it, you would be suprised how much help will show up before you finish.

I've [carefully] done oil changes in campgrounds in the past, but more and more have explicit rules against this. The nicer the campground, the more likely it will be prohibited and strictly enforced. Since we own a fixed home base, I can do most of my maintenance there.

I have been in a few that offer a place for campers to do minor repairs.  Usually it's a pad or space over in a storage or work area. Sometimes it pays to ask when you check in. The small independents are more likely to allow something like this.

We have been fortunate so far to be close to Freightliner maintenance, but you will find that many parks have a "roving" RV maintenance preference who may have permission to do some of that for you at your site. The park can control that better. It is often more reasonable cost wise than breaking camp and wandering somewhere.

Many parks are near some sort of water, either natural or impounded, and they are extremely sensitive to the idea of "spills". Would not be surprised if it was in their insurance in some way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom