DUAL BAND HT ANTENNA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyboy

I need a replacement dual band antenna for my ICOM T7HT. After some internet searching I found that the OEM version cost 3 times that of one sold on Ebay by an overseas company. Since it's basically just a piece of wire, I don't have any issue with quality. Altho this far east company has a huge product line and appears to be reputable, I am concerned about using my credit card to order online. I suppose I could use PayPal.

Has anyone had any experience using an overseas company for ham equipment?

I've had good luck on parts and passive devices and some active things but I would not even think about transmitters of any kind without the specific statement about being acceptable to FCC in this country.  I would also try to ascertain the reputation of the company similar to EBay ratings.

For an antenna, I probably would go for it and if it doesn't pan out, write it off as a loss IF I couldn't get my money back.  Pay pal is certainly an option as is a credit card.  Many have a one time number, I know my Discover does, to protect you.

On the other hand, I bought from a well known US ham supplier and my card was hit.  Charges were not allowed and we are still trying to pin down who it was in the company that did the deed.  The card company, the parts company and the police are all involved in this one!!

You never know where it will get you.

Being the pessimist that I am I'd be tempted to put an SWR meter on the antenna on both VHF and UHF frequencies.

A Scanner antenna from "The Shack" might work too... I got my Dual Band HT antennas
1: At Dayton, 2: AES store (Brick and mortar kind) both work fine.

I think I'll "go for it" and see what happens. The wife and I (both hams) typically only use the HTs on simplex freqs as a replacement for FRS radios so we aren't concerned with optimium performance. Stubby duckies work fine for that purpose.

Thanks for the help guys.

RM
W4OET

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom