Memory foam mattress recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sclanton

Hi,

We just bought our first travel trailer a few months ago and we are really enjoying it.  The only problem is the
mattress.  It is a back breaker.  We have a TempurPedic Rhapsody at home and love it, but they are too expensive
for a camper that we don't use every day.  Also TempurPedic doesn't offer a "short queen" size mattress, which is
what we need.  I do know about the mattress overlay, but for $888?  Is there anything out there that is comparable
to a TP Rhapsody that is affordable and comes in a 60x75 "short queen"?  We do not want an air mattress or
conventional mattress, we are spoiled on the memory foam.  Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Sclanton
Texas hill country

Several years ago we picked up a 2" memory foam pad a Sam's Club (Queen size) for less than $200, and it currently graces the bed in our Bounder. It's been a wonderful help to bad backs.

We bought our memory foam topper at Cosco and it was a regular queen size.  We have the short queen in our coach.  It hangs over just a little bit; but it doesn't bother us.  The topper was about $100.00

Marsha~

Watch for a BigLots store grand opening!

At a local g.o. last month, we bought a Serta 100% memory foam Queen mattress for our RV - $230!!!!

It sleeps incredibly well! We're watching for another opening, so we can get one for the house, too.

Enough places to look above, so I'll offer one other piece of advice.  Go at least 3 inches on the foam, preferably 4.  You won't regret it.  2 inches just isn't enough.

Punomatic said:
Best thing I have found for cutting foam is an electric carving knife.
Foam place I was at had that suggestion but added that wiping a sheet of a fabric softener along the blades helped a lot.

edjunior said:
Enough places to look above, so I'll offer one other piece of advice.  Go at least 3 inches on the foam, preferably 4.  You won't regret it.  2 inches just isn't enough.

A lot of that depends on the foam itself. When we were shopping for the foam topper, we saw a lot of foams to which your comments apply completely, but we got lucky in the one we found, and 2" works very well, so long as it's not on concrete or the like.

We bought the mattress topper from Costco for $150 and it's great.  I would think that with a very sharp knife you could cut it down to size.  Sometimes Costco has them on sale too.  We love ours and it is most comfortable.

All good suggestions above...I'd like to pass along where we got ours, but I can't REMEMBER...(no 'memory' of foam) ;D

Thank you all for replying!  I did not expect such a response.  I will follow up on these suggestions.  A mattress topper
may work.  Has anyone had any experience with Bed-in-a-box?  Their website offers a complete RV memory foam mattress (queen) for $575. 

I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't have a foam mattress, topper, memory foam, eggshell foam, or whatever it's called if you paid me. My other half has bought all versions over the years, and each one ends up in the dumpster after a night or two. IMO it's a huge waste of money.

This is all a function of your personal comfort and the required back support. We opted for Sleep Number air mattresses in the house and the coach, after they were initially recommended by a chiropractor who was also our next door neighbor. My wife and I need a completely different level of support, and there's no way to get that with any kind of foam addition that covers both sides of the bed.

Meanwhile, don't believe the ads you see on TV where the gall jumps up and down on the mattress while the glass of red wine doesn't move.

While Memory Foam Mattresses have become popular over the years, especially as Tempurpedic has invested in such an aggressive ad campaign, there are some things about memory foam to note...

1. Memory foam mattresses contour to your bodies weight, absorbing you into the mattresses padding.  Keep in mind though, should you move in the midst of your sleep, memory foam doesn't bounce back.  It stays molded for a significant amount of time, which can be annoying for someone who moves quite a bit in their sleep.

2. Memory foam also absorbs heat, and becomes mushy in warm climates, and hard and cold in colder weather.

On the flip side, our customers prefer Latex Mattresses.  While an allergy may stand in the way of this style, it absorbs your body just like memory foam, and it bounces back when you get up or shift positions in your sleep.  It also has a bamboo membrane, which keeps it consistently cushy in all climates!

Also, consider when the mattress can be flipped or not!  Some can't, and thus, you can only rotate the mattress when it comes time.

ruthandken CDN said:
I would think that with a very sharp knife you could cut it down to size.
Rather than a sharp knife, which will drag through the foam, use an electric carving knife.  They are pretty cheap these days, if fact, even cheaper at garage sales & are great for cutting most kinds of flexible foam.

A serrated edge bread knife might do the trimming job as well as an electric carving knife.  I've used these on different kinds of foam before, both soft and rigid, and it worked well.  Haven't tried it on a foam mattress, though.

I have never owned a TempurPedic but my wife and I stayed at a B&B in Key West and they had them on their beds. It was wonderful. After a long search I happened on Bed in a Box. They sell memory foam mattresses that are compressed, boxed and shipped. Compared to the real thing they were so inexpensive we figured we had nothing to lose. In my opinion, the quality is equal to the name brand. I don't know what your price range is, but they offer an RV queen (60X75) and they range in price from $525 to $829 and free shipping. This is beginning to sound like a paid advertisement but I assure you, I do not work for the company. Check them out at www.bedinabox.com. Hope this helped.

Back
Top Bottom