living with below 0 temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wciim

Has anyone lived in their coach for a period of time with the temps below 0?  What problems are there and what to look out for.

There are a few prior discussions; Try using the Search button and searching for "cold weather camping".

On the short side, condensation is the main thing.  Depending on how well you are insulated, depends on how the outside walls react.  My coach is pretty well insulated, but in the bedroom one of the alum tube structure is not filled with foam as it is an electrical conduit.  It transmits cold to the inside wall, this builds condensation on it, and it is so cold that it froze.  This was at about 17 below.  Temps at about 5below and above it was not an issue. 

Try keeping some ventilation.  Especially when cooking or showering. 

Outside, a heat tape on the freshwater hose with foam insulation plus on the coldest nights, leave a faucet just drizzleing, OR disconnect the hose and use internal tank and water pump.  If using the drip, be sure to have your grey tank open and hooked up!

I am winter work camoing at the Grand Canyon and we had a 2 week cold snap with record breaking temps.  More seasonal now with nights in 20's, days in 40's.  Like being at the beach.

Orick said:
"Living" and "below zero degrees" are mutually exclusive.

Living and below zero degrees are NOT mutually exclusive. Lived in Fairbanks, AK for over 20 years. We were just, if not more, active in the winter than in the summer.

IMHO "Living" and "115 degrees" are mutually exclusive.

One issue to watch for is also the refer. If the temps on the outside stay down too long they will fool the refer into thinking that the refer is too cold thus the chemical process that causes the ammonia in the cooling tubes to react will be inhibited. Thus the temps inside the box start to climb. You may need to put a insulated blanket in the vent on the outside of the refer.  It will help keep the temps up a little to allow the chemical process to take place.

Doubtful on heat build up since the heat rises and vents through the vent at the top of the refer cabinet. And if you have ever checked your refer in the cold weather, the coils on the back and everything else is stone cold. Blocking the lower vent just allows the coils to slightly warm.  Using care when covering the lower vent is also a good idea. However, warm milk isn't that great either.

I lived in El Centro CA with many 115+ days. We used our Leprechaun constantly in the summer from the Anza Boreggo to Yuma and Search light to Ocotillo Wells. I discovered it was the flip side to southern MN in mid winter: climate control in all occupied buildings and vehicles and the right clothing and head gear when outdoors. 

We live in the Rocky Mountains (Colorado) and use our RV all-year-around. It just takes a little planning and adjusting for anticipated snow and temperature conditions just as in summer heat conditions. In the Winter we use our Snowmobiles as we use our horses in the summer. My wife and I (and our family members who do also) recommend that winter is a fine time for recreation, just as summer, when planned.

Tom said:
There are a few prior discussions; Try using the Search button and searching for "cold weather camping".
Look for our adventures in Missouri! A heated water hose is a necessity.

I think the message is pretty clear (at least for me)-unless you have a purpose built vehicle winter is going to be a hassle.

On RV 2011 they showed a water hose that comes with the a heater - all in one. No more wrapping your hose with heater tape and foam, although below zero I might still consider it. Didn't have to worry - we went south although in Quartzsite and Yuma we had nights below freezing. One night in Quartzsite was 21 - uncommonly cold winter from what every one says. We just finished a week of upper 80s low 90s - 10 degrees above average.

Pirit is a brand, and they were showing in Quartzsite at the tent.  If I didn't already have the heat tape on my hose, I would buy one. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom