I NEED HELP!! Trailer Furnace!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandyruth2980

My horse trailer Living Quarters has electric heat and also a furnace.  My furnace will come on when I have the setting on gas only but if I put it to electric heat, the furnace won't kick in to help it.  I know the furnace should come on to help the electric heat and stay on until it gets to 5 degrees from what I set it on.  The other day the thermostat said the room was 49 degrees and I put it on electric heat and set it to 80 degrees and the furnace never came on!  Why is that?  I don't want to have to take it somewhere and pay a fortune to have someone look at it and I could possibly check some things myself.  Any ideas would be great!

I'm familiar with living quarters horse trailers, I used to have one.  I'm pretty sure your horse trailer needs to be connected to an electrical supply for the electric heat part of your furnace to work.  Do you have it plugged into an electrical outlet or a generator?  The electric part of the furnace will not run without electricity.

Marsha~

I had my generator running and the electric heat works fine, the furnace wouldn't come on to help the electric.  It has never done this before so I'm wondering if whatever it is that makes the furnace kick in with the electric heat may be out.  What do y'all think??

It's the thermostat that decides to ask the furnace for help, so that's where your problem lies. You said the furnace itself runs fine on gas, right?

What make and model of thermostat is it? Maybe an Atwood Comfort Control or Dometic? The two are essentially twins and both have the 5 degree "help" function you mentioned.

Gary, I agree that it's the thermostat.  Do you think it could be just in the thermostat and if I get a new one it would fix my problem?  This thermostat has always been "moody" whenever you touch it! ;)  I wrote down all the info on it. Do you think these are still made? Where can I get one?
It's a RVComfort.HP Coleman Mach. 
This was on the inside of it:
ICM
AH7881 + AH7882
Pat. No. Des. 424,953
SPCB-2
PCB645-2A

I had this type of problem in my 5th wheel. I eventually found that the small black toggle on-off switch near bottom of thermostat (all most not visible) had to be turned off for a few seconds and then when turned back on the furnace operated normally.

I'm not sure the Comfort HC thermostat has the furnace assist  function (nor am I sure it does not). Did it ever work for you?

THIS is your t-stat, right?  How do you have the switches set? I don't see a "gas only" setting - just Heat or Cool. Where do you set gas mode and get the furnace running?

There is probably a secondary controller at the air conditioner/heat pump that interfaces to the t-stat. That's where the furnace would be actually wired into the system if you have the furnace assist feature. It's possible that is not wired, or the controller is not configured right.  Is there a way to contact whoever installed this system in your horse trailer?

There are A/Cs that have heat strips in them.  A friend who had a Foretravel, could switch the thermostat to electric heat and the strips in the A/Cs would come on.    But they needed to be hooked to 30 amp service for them to work.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom