Painting satellite dome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most domes, e.g. Winegard, say do not paint. There may be some paints that won't interfere with the satellite signal very much, but I don't know one to suggest. Unlike an open face dish, the signal has to pass through the dome, so you need a  non-reflective paint that contains absolutely no metal compounds. 

KVH says this:
"If you wish to paint the dome, use only non-metallic automotive paint without a primer coat. Any paint that contains metal will block satellite signals and impair reception."

You can usually get a different color dome from the manufacturer, at least black vs white and maybe a tan as well. It's just help on with a couple screws.

You should use paint formulated for that purpose.  Paints with high metal content can block signal.  I recommend you check with the dome mfgr.

Travel Supreme had painted all of it's models with King Domes. Mine is painted silver/gray. It doesn't seem to affect reception.

BernieD said:
Travel Supreme had painted all of it's models with King Domes. Mine is painted silver/gray. It doesn't seem to affect reception.
The big question would be, "What kind of paint did they use?"  It is highly unlikely they used a paint with metalic content.

We once had a painted dome and the paint made the morning dew stick more than on an unpainted dome.

They used the same paint as the body and I can't remember ever having a dew issue. Light rain or early stages of heavier rain, yes. But dew, no.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom