Roadmaster enters the slide-out business with new design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Roadmaster, famous for their towing products, has branched out into the slide-out design arena with a new design that they claim eliminates many of the problems with existing slide-outs. It is self-supporting and has no interior rollers to damage floors and is aid to seal tighter when traveling down the highway. It also has a built-in manual override that can be operated from within the RV. Read about it here:

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/01/roadmaster-inc-introduces-eclipse-slideout/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RvBusiness+%28RV+Business%29

It's difficult to determine if there are any size limits to the slide(s) that could be built on that concept, from the limited info available in the article.  It appears to be depicted on a "B".

The original hydraulic slides employed by Fleetwood, such as the one on my old Bounder, could claim some of the same features or advantages as this new mechanism.  No rollers on floor or carpet, and self supported on outer edge, etc.  A major drawback being, that my slide drive and support costs me approximately 80% of otherwise available basement storage space.  That's a real bummer.

Newer slide designs have regained a lot of that storage space (some at the expense of a robust self supporting capability).  If this new design can support large slides and deliver the performance claimed, they could get a good share of the slide business.

I had one of those hydraulic slides in a 96 Southwind. Cost two full bays of storage, though that could have been vastly improved with a bit of body engineering. They simply didn't bother to build storage areas around the hydraulic mechanism, even though there were bay doors opening on/into it.

Back
Top Bottom