Slide Outs...before or after Jacks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

This question came up on our last weekend outing.  Do you put your jacks down before you put out your slides or after?  I called two dealerships and was given conflicting answers so I thought I'd bring it to the pros.  Thanks in advance for your answers....

The answer is it depends.  Different makes, and even models from the same maker, will have different instructions as to whether to level before or after extending the slideout.  The authority is the owners manual for the specific RV.

Most RV dealers will not put down jacks when coaches are on display with the slides out. I have asked Winnebago and HWH and they both agree the jacks should be down with the coach level prior to putting out slides. I guess a lot will depend upon the size of the slide and RV.

Thanks, We have an Itasca Meridian 40U and it has 4 slides, 2 of which are pretty big.  This is where the question came from.  Our thoughts were that with slides of that size, the balance/level of the coach could be changed if the jacks were put down before the slides were out.  I'll check my manuals...but, if any of you have bought a new unit lately (our other coach had 1 main book and then an independent book for each manufacturer) we have 3 huge owners manuals!  Guess I'll be doing some reading...thanks!

Yep, we have the Ellipse 40fd and the manual says to level then extend the slides.  I've always thought it was to ensure that we're not trying to power one of those big slides "uphill" because we haven't yet leveled the coach... but you know what they say about assumptions.

Good Luck

Rick

My 2010 Bounder's manual says level first, then extend the slide. Seems to me there'd be less stress on the slide that way, since leveling sometimes has some relatively abrupt starts and stops. But I'd certainly go with whatever my manual said.

My 2007 Monaco Diplomat Owner's Manual says to extend the Slides then level.  When I asked Monaco they said that leveling puts some stress on the Frame and might bind the slides.

I look at the lot and estimate how much its going to take to level and then make the decision about when to extend the Slides.  I usually put my Slides out after I have dumped the Air, leveled and made my power, water and waste connections (lot easier).  On departure we put the slides in first, disconnect power, water and waste then start engine and raise the Jacks, that way I only have to run the engine once as the Air builds up in about the same time it takes to raise the Jacks.

My BIL's 2004 Winnebago Adventurer Owner's Manual said to level first and then extend the Slides; however, his large slide would not extend after leveling on many occasions.  He would have to lift the Jacks, extend the Slide then re-level.

Thanks to all who replied.  I found where it was located in my manual (Owners Supplemental Manual 1 of 2) and it does say to level first.  It also says something else that we weren't told during our "training" and that was to have the motor running when moving the slides, either in or out.  Said that it gives the added power to help move the slides in and out.  Interesting!

4ducksrus said:
have the motor running when moving the slides, either in or out.  Said that it gives the added power to help move the slides in and out.  Interesting!

Mine too but I've come across a few people here on the forum who disagree.  Actually, I usually extend them with the engine off.  I hate to idle more than I have to.  I think the batteries probably take a bit of a hit but seems to me they should be able to handle it so long as I'm not running them in and out repeatedly.

Rick

We actually have a warning placard at the controller to level before operating the slides, and to have the motor running when we do operate the slides.

Interestingly enough, we usually get a low voltage for the levelers if we have to re-level without starting the engine, but the slides can be moved in and out with only the key on.

As Gary always says, your mileage may vary.

Our mileage does vary. The slides move only when the ignition is off and the jacks go down first and up last. The jacks come up with the engine running and the airbags filled.

My owner's manual states that the unit must be leveled with front jacks and rear stabilizers deployed before operating the slides. I follow that procedure religiously but I have observed that most dealers/service shops don't.

I level (at least stabilize) prior to opening the slide.  However, I have dropped the front to allow any water, that has pooled on top of the slide, to run off before closing the slide.  I've regretted NOT doing that, more than once.  I have a slide topper, but wind can drive rain underneath and it will sit on top of a well leveled slide.

Instructions vary from model to model however here is my position:

BEFORE leveling, it is possible that your rig may be a bit .. Twisted (Torqued is a better word)  This is most noticable with the entry door which may not close properly. (or open properly)

After leveling, one hopes at least, that the rails are straight and level and all slides are properly squared and nothing will bind.

That said... In some cases extending the slides MAY affect the center of gravity and affect leveling...

Now.. I would hope that is not the case.. The only time I have been concerned about this is when I need just a touch more to get level.. then I will put out a slide on the high side to ASSIST levelling.

4ducksrus said:
I'll check my manuals...but, if any of you have bought a new unit lately (our other coach had 1 main book and then an independent book for each manufacturer) we have 3 huge owners manuals!  Guess I'll be doing some reading...thanks!

I recomend a cheat to save time on reading all those manuals. Download the manual from Winnebagos website that way you can do a word search instead of digging through all the paper manuals. Plus I am always on my computer which makes it that much more convenient  ;).

4ducksrus said:
to have the motor running when moving the slides, either in or out.  Said that it gives the added power to help move the slides in and out.  Interesting!

If we arive late to a CG and don't want to leave the motor running we hold the battery boost button in while letting the slides out.

Although our instructions say to level first, with the HWH bi-axis leveling system, it's very difficult to NOT keep the chassis square when exercising the jacks, so we will sometimes do as Lou does without worrying about it.  We have even, on occasion, releveled with the slide out and not ever had a problem.

After asking this question I did some serious reading and found where it does say to level first, and then it says to keep the engine running when putting out the slides and it also says that if it has rained, before bringing the slides in to lower each side of the coach to allow the water to run off before retracting the slides.  I'd never heard of that and I have had water come in with the slides!  So, now I have a new check list of "to dos"

For no particular reason I prefer to put the jacks and level the unit and plug in the electrical cord so the battery voltage is a little higher prior to putting out slides.

4ducksrus said:
it also says that if it has rained, before bringing the slides in to lower each side of the coach to allow the water to run off before retracting the slides. 

I forgot to do this once this summer... pulled in the slides after a big rain... The first time I had to hit the brakes... I got what seemed like 10 gallong of very cold water pouring on my head and back from the top of the road side slide!  I'd like to say I've learned my lesson but it happend twice.  :-[

Rick

Back
Top Bottom