BBQ's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mercoupe50

We are going to get a BBQ for the motorhome and we would like to know from your experiences which types you like the best.  I have seen charcol, propane and electric grill/smoker types.  Which do you prefer?

After having several different brands , by far our Weber Baby Q 100 is the best one we have had. It cooks evenly, its small enough, built well, easy to clean, and is reasonably priced. I did add a Thermometer  to ours. I must feel the same as many others, when we go camping we see a lot of them. Good luck in your quest. Scott

You cant beat the convenience of a propane grill but without a doubt nothing tastes better than grilling over charcoal and real wood.    Chip

We have one that we love.  It's a gas stove that also has a BBQ and skillet that fit on it and still leaves you a burner free.  It's called "Camp-Chef" it has 90,000 BTU's.  We purchased ours from Cabela's for a little over $250. 

I bring a Weber Q 200, but agree with FalconHunter and this is why sometimes I take the grate from the Weber and set it on top of the ring of the firepit and cook over  the coals from a hardwood fire.

I never leave the barn without my full size 3 burner propane grill with side burner and rottissory on the tray on the back. i built a tray that carries the grill with the bike rack in front of it,i feel using the grill instead of the galley stove outweighs the hassle of brining it [not that my set-up is a hassle actuallt it's really convenient] and with the awning i bbq rain or shine, breakfast,lunch and dinner.

We also have a Weber Q and love it.  It's a propane grill.  Ours is the 'Baby Q' because it's just the two of us but I'm sure the larger model works just as well, if not better!

Thanks for starting the discussion.  This was on my list of todo's but down a ways.  Interestingly enough the Weber Q 200 is $230 at one place in Canada but $180 at Walmart in the US.  At the dollar is roughly at par.  For $50 I'm going to purchase in the USA.

We have the Baby Q and use a separate propane tank (either 5 or 7 pound tank). It lasts us for almost 2 seasons (separate propane tank). I have heard it said charcoal and or wood gives a better flavor but I personally think how you season it will make a big difference. ::)

codgerbill said:
but I personally think how you season it will make a big difference. ::)
If it's good meat it never needs seasoning.  In my not so humble opinion.    :)

BTW i can't stand steak spice.  The number one ingredient is salt.  Yuck.  I've gotten to dislike the taste of salt lately.

We've got an O-Grill, and it's the best propane BBQ we've ever owned. Cooks excellent, cleans pretty easy, and comes with a storage bag. You can use the screw on canisters or go like we did and add a hose and a small propane bottle. The only downside is, it's probably a little on the small side for a family of more than 2 or 3.

Water Dog said:
We've got an O-Grill, and it's the best propane BBQ we've ever owned.
And it stores vertically with a small footprint.  I can see that being attractive to those with limited storage.

Tony_Alberta said:
If it's good meat it never needs seasoning.  In my not so humble opinion.    :)

BTW i can't stand steak spice.  The number one ingredient is salt.  Yuck.  I've gotten to dislike the taste of salt lately.

Not when I spice the steak... (I use very very very little salt, I had one pound last me over 20 years and I mix my own spices for meats)

Interesting thing about BBQ... Dang few folks know what it means.. It is SLOW COOKED, taking hours to cook the meat usually using indirect heat.. Think Crock Pot.. Crock Pot in fact makes one called a BBQ pit.

Grilling is high speed cooking usually using direct heat.  That is what the Webber Baby-Q and my Coleman Road Trip and other grills are designed for.. Grilling. BBQ is .. Secondary.. to their primary function.

I still Like my big Webber charcoal grill. I use a chimney to start the coals, so no fluid taste.  I can make hamburgers,steak, brats, and chicken to smoking  ribs, brisket and tenderloins.  And if you haven't tried it yet, corn on the cob (grille din the husk.

We also have the Weber Baby Q. For the two of us it is a nice size, easy to use and easy to store.

I am somewhat different from the group.  Take a look at the Cobb grilling system.  Small, compact and does an excellent job.  Stays cool to the touch and stores in it's own nylon bag.

Back
Top Bottom