Our First Trip & Our Dog Hated It !! OH! What To Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icecoldstarr

We took our very first trip we have a  1983    Winn. Chieftain,my husband spent at least a year doing work on it, so finally on 12/18/10 we left  Amarillo Tx. for Lynchburg Va.To visit our Daughter for first time in 12 yrs, we spent Xmas their & planned to stay til 12th of Jan. but weather was going to get bad so we started back 2 days early, But we have a 1/2 poodle 1/2 Shih-Zu  who went cause after all he is our son & couldn't even leave him behind, but because the RV is old & when we hit bad bumpy roads well he stayed in my husbands lap the whole trip we drove straight thru except stopping for the dog to go potty,& gas he stayed in my husbands lap the whole trip he slept standing in my husbands lap with once in a while he would go to sleep standing up & fall over,wake up standup & fall over again over & over he would not sleep on what I call the Dog house [seperates the two front seats] he would not get down & walk thru the motor home while it was moving to get him water he would wait til we stopped, then on the way back home we again drove straight thru, but Gator the dog would get in my lap & climb behind my back & thats where he rode , behind my back, I cant tell you how stiff I was when we got home, I would think if the dog hated it that much he wouldn't even get in the RV, but he will follow my husband any where, now when he is in our car he loves to go ,we can mention going some where & he runs to the door spinning in circles wanting out & runs to the car, Does any one have any ideals about why this dog is I guess scared of the noise & bumps we hit in the Motor Home but yet loves to go in the car he dont mind the RV as long as it is setting still,  Well thanks for letting me write such a long letter or message or note or what ever,      Thanks  Mary,

He will adapt, but you need to make it fun for him. Go to Petco and get him a comfy little dog bed, maybe his favorite blanket,then set it between the two seats, maybe a few toys and treats . You have to realize that even for us , walking around a moving motorhome is a little shakey. You might try taking the motorhome on short runs to the store with him , once he gets used to it wont be such a distraction. One more thing , he may need help getting in and out if the stairs are real steep. Our dogs love to go with us, but it took a little getting used to .. Good luck  Scott

I agree with Shooterdad.  Just give him a little time...it was your first trip after all.  We've only taken 2 trips in our MH so far.  We had a TT before and the dogs rode in the truck with us.  On our 1st MH trip, both of our dogs (Boxers) kept trying to get in my lap while my husband was driving...not fun as the 2 of them together outweigh me and fortunately, they slept most of the way home.  On the 2nd trip, they settled down quite a bit, which was nice.  They just have to get used to things.  I'd also try just driving him around in it on a couple of short trips OR perhaps give him a little Benadryl to make him a little sleepy and help him to relax.  Just don't give up on him...I'm sure he'd rather be a little nervous than be left behind!  Good luck to you!

My two love to ride and when I put them in the RV for the first time both got sick. Like the others have said get him a little bed . One of ours is blind and she was so bad she started throwing up blood. It took about three trips for them to get to liking it. I didn't go the high dollar route for the bed, I cut a little box and put towels in it. It seamed to help to have the three walls with just the front open. Good Luck

Take him for a couple of short trips; not more than 30-minutes long.  Animals need to be introduced to new things slowly and with positive reinforcement. 

I would use a crate and put a bed in it with one of you or your husband's piece of clothing in the crate.  Keep the crate very close to you.  Take a short ride if only around the block.  Make a big deal while driving and if he will eat it give him a treat or two.  When you get home.  Let him out of the crate; but all of you stay in the RV until he seems relaxed and maybe even begins to explore around a bit.  It will take time.

Taking an animal for their first trip and making it very long, is extremely hard on animals.  They need to be introduced to new things slowly.

When we first got our coach, we had 2 adult cats who have never been inside or on a trip.  We spent lots of time inside the coach with the cats before we ever moved it.  Then when we did, we literally went around the block, returned home,  parked it and stayed inside for a while.  We have close to 80,000 miles on the coach now and both those cats have been with us every mile.  They have even be across the Canadian border twice.

Go slowly.

Marsha~

His first trip was a long one with short stops.  Agree taking him on shorter trips might help.  He might just need time to descover the motorhome will not eat him.  ;)  Give him time and try different things.  Just do not leave him home. 

If he is not crate trained but you think a cave might help then train him at home and not for the first time in motorhome.  Some dogs feel very secure in a crate and love them.  Use lots of treats to get him to go into crate and do not close the crate door at first during training.  Make it a postive so he thinks the crate is a good thing.  The crate door does not need to be closed if he takes to it. 

By renting a Class C we discovered we had to have a seat behind the passenger seat as Q would be in the passenger seat even before the seat was completely cleared.  Thus in our Class A the passenger seat is Q's and whoever is not driving is behind.  Q is a nervouse traveler, Benedryl does help some, but we have never found her comfort zone.  We just let her do her thing and try not to make a big deal - no reinforcement.  She seems to like to get behind the bed but it is so deep and near back wall(slide) that she can not get out once she gets in.  We have some crates which may not be too tall so she can get behind the bed and still get out.  She is 70 lbs. so takes a leverage to get her out.  One thing also that must occur is a potty stop shortly after starting the first leg of any trip, even though Q just went prior at home.  Q does not seem to need to stop on other travel days - just that first one.

Scooter is 20 lbs. and travels like she was at home.  Does not phase her. 

The one thing I do know is that neither wants to be left.  They both jump into the RV and are ready to go, even given Q's wishing it was not moving, and they have no problem staying in or around once we stop. 

Jennifer

My Cs coach floor is about 1-1 ? feet higher than the cabs. I put a 4 inch high board on the coach floor behind the driver to in back of the passengers side to prevent a slide forward on harder braking. On the floor is the dogs bed which she usually sits on to see what?s happening. She will usually sleep on the hard floor under the dinette, go figure. Ever since I got the MH it sits close to my side door of the house with the coach door open and she considers it her house and spends the day there from May thru Oct. as it has a good  view  of her domain, yard, driveway and road leading to each. Mention the word RIDE and she bolts toward the RV.

Good information has been given. 1st a crate is not a bad thing. In fact many dog feel more secure in a crate, even at home.  Get your dog used to crate at home and then introduce the crate (and dog) to the MH. If not a crate at least get a good comfortable bed. Maybe just sitting in the MH the 1st time. Then start with short trips. You may have to just drive around the block on your 1st few trips. Then take a few trips of only a few miles. Make these "Fun Trips". Stop, take a walk, have play time, give a few treats...etc. Let the dog associate the MH as taking a fun trip. That is a good tip for the "people" also. Benadryl may help or you may have to get a stronger tranquilizer from your veterinarian. Most of the time a tranquilizer will knock the edge off and allow the dog to see that the MH is not a bad thing. Then the tranquilizer may not have to be used again. The benadryl and tranquilizers will also help with vomiting.
Life is short, camping is fun, take your time and enjoy the trip (with your dog).

Frank Hurst, DVM

Everyone has there views on pets and RVing and pets in general and theres nothing wrong with that, however my Grandfather told me " never trust anyone who dosent like dogs" , I am 50 now and so far he has been right !!! Pets whether it is a dog or cat love unconditionaly, and provide a great sence of comfort, good times or bad, and all they want in return is the same . Have a Great Evening...Scott

I once had a cocker spanial that would get motion sickness, she always wanted to go
with us and never balked at getting in the car or the truck. However, she could not ride
facing forward or looking out the window. She solved her own problem by riding on the
floor behind the seat facing backwards away form all the windows. She loved to go but
decided she wasn't going to get left behind.

No dog, just a kitty, an old one age 14 and I started taking her.  She gets under the couch and sleeps, at first you couldn't get her out.  But as time goes on, when we stop she gets out and roams, potties, eats, and drinks.  When we start out back under the seat to sleep, about like home.  But she is roaming around more.  We dont' go often as I like, but she seems to be doing fine and is happy to be with us. I bet they get used to it.  But I do what someone else suggested, cage them and get them off your laps.  That's no fun for anyone.  I was going to do that if this didn't work.

I would like to take our 70 pound doggie, but he would kill the cat. I could see the whole motorhome wrecked if we left them home alone.  Luckily my tenant cares for him, but he sure gets lonesome while we are gone. After the demise of Miss Black he can come, don't want him to hear that though.

Back
Top Bottom