The why of tow ratings.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
davidsimmonds said:
Why not just put the .wmv file as the link instead of the index.php url?

Because the attachments aren't stored that way on our server. Try this link which avoids the .php and related stuff.

The file downloads just fine with this link, but Windows Media Player will tell you it doesn't recognize the extension and gives you the option to play it anyway. If you accept, the file should open and play just fine.

Apologies for this delayed follow-up; I've been extremely busy since we arrived home a couple of days ago.

Glad the link works David. Yes, that sure is scary.

Reminds me of that classic Amos N' Andy episode from the 50's (dating myself here??) where the Kingfish buys a travel trailer and tries to pull it with a motor scooter!!  It too smoked, just like the car in this clip. ;)

Johncmr

I wasn't too sure where to insert this comment, but for a while now I've felt compelled to make an observation.  I just wanted to say that I'm impressed with the patience of the forum staff.  Over and over I have read threads here where people are trying to justify towing close to or over the rated capacity of their trucks.  I can understand the desire to avoid upgrading a TV, I'm not rich either.

When I'm towing a camper, however, three of the most precious things in the world to me are riding along: my son, my wife, and my dog.  Okay, the dog is a distant third, but I would be devastated to lose him too.  Five feet behind my 5 year old son's head is a 10,000 pound fifth wheel camper.  I'm sorry, but I'm going for overkill when it comes to the truck.  In fact, we bought a cheaper camper so that we could put more money into the truck. It makes me sick to think of my son getting injured, and to think it was because I put him in danger, I don't know if I could live with that.

I'm a careful driver, but unless the roads are all 0% grade and have no other drivers, the sky's are sunny and clear, and a 12' electric fence has been erected on either side of the road to keep the deer and other animals away, I've got to make sure my rig is under control at all times.  It's not if I'll ever have a panic situation, it's when.

Sorry, I've just felt compelled to say this for a while.  Now that it's off my chest, I feel much better.  Thanks!

-Dave

Thanks for that input.  When you think about it it just doesn't make sense to put yourself,  love ones, or anybody else at risk by driving an overloaded vehicle.  Unfortunately some folks show their intelligent level by doing just that.

I very much agree with your thoughts and thank you for posting your thoughts on this.

Right on, Dave!
All too often people will already have a truck and then try to find the largest TT or 5th wheel possible, without giving due consideration to all the additional weight of personal items, food, water, etc., and then pack the bed of the truck with additional items like a generator, 4-wheeler, toolbox - you name it. If a person has the means, it's better to put the cart before the horse; pick out the trailer you want and then buy the tow vehicle that has enough 'headroom' to be safe under extreme conditions. This isn't always possible, so then it's better to start out with a smaller, lighter TT, upgrade to a more capable truck when you can, then get the larger, heavier TT.

I hope it didn't come off sounding like a rant.  I just really wanted to let the forum staff know how impressed I am with your patience and kindness in answering those questions.  I teach for a living, and I know how it is when my students ask me a question that I've already covered in class a half dozen times, they could have found in the reading, or it's clear they are just trying to avoid doing the work.  The urge to be sarcastic in my reply is hard to ignore.

Thanks for all of your patience and hard work!  :)

-Dave

cougar3514v said:
I hope it didn't come off sounding like a rant. ...The urge to be sarcastic in my reply is hard to ignore.

It sure didn't sound/read like a rant to me Dave and I didn't detect any hint of sarcasm. Your comment was very much appreciated. I don't personally answer a lot of the questions here, especially on trailer/towing issues, and prefer to leave that to our experts. As you correctly noted, they are very patient.

If anyone is interested in reading more about these knowledgeable, experienced and dedicated folks, click the Hosts button in the toolbar above.

So that's what that "Hosts" button is for.  I've never clicked on it because I thought it would take me to a description of the computers/servers that were hosting this site.  I'm not very interested in that.  Thanks, Tom!  I learn something new every day!

-Dave

And another cool thing about the "Hosts" button is that I can finally see what Karl looks like! :D 

-Dave

Dave,

I suppose I could have used "Staff" or some similar term, but started to use "Hosts" when we were at our prior location and it stuck.

I can finally see what Karl looks like!

I won't ask if you prefer the real thing or the photo of Hercule the attack cat  ;D  Seriously, if you met Karl in person you'd understand how nice a guy he is.

LOL Karl, most folks don't realize how much of a labor of love this is for the dedicated folks on the team.

three of the most precious things in the world to me are riding along: my son, my wife, and my dog.

I say more power to you.  Never can understand why some folks don't look at it that way.  You'll find those of us who have been on this RV Forum for some time tend to be safety oriented.  The safety of you and your loved ones (including the dog) should be your first priority.

ArdraF

Dave  You trying to tell me Karl doen't look as he does on the avitor.  ang I 've met him in person and thought taht really is him.

Shayne said:
Dave  You trying to tell me Karl doen't look as he does on the avitor.  ang I 've met him in person and thought taht really is him.

Yeah, the avatar was taken when he was much younger and had a lot more hair.  But then so did we all.

I'm embarrassed to admit that the first thing I needed to do was Google "avatar" to figure out what the heck you all were talking about.  Man, I'm so out of the technology loop.  Now that I know, well, heck, if I squint, I can see the resemblance between Hercule and Karl.  The Attack Kat looks a lot happier though.  :D

-Dave

I am currently looking to upgrade my tt to a fifth wheel. I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 with the Hemi and I believe they are 373 gears. We had a very nice Cardinal picked out and then I realized it was too heavy for my truck to pull. I argued with the sales lady because she said because it was a fifth wheel with a 2000# hitch weight, I could deduct 2000#'s from the trailer weight because the hitch weight was in the truck bed and not behind it being towed. Sure I understood her point, and with her thinking I was safely in my limits for trailer weight but I was over on my GCWR rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom