NEW ARIZONA LAW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaskansnowbirds

Site Team
It was on the evening news tonight that Arizona has passed a new law. If you are traveling on a multi-lane highway, and there is an emergency vehicle, police car, etc. with warning lights on, on the right shoulder. YOU MUST MOVE OVER AT LEAST ON LANE TO THE LEFT. If traffic does not permit this then you must slow down. They didn't say to what speed you needed to slow down to. The law went into effect about two months ago and DPS has been giving warnings. They said the fines run about $200.

I've been doing this for years. Several states have this law.

On the 2 hr trip from QZ to Phx I jogged left twice and watched many 4-wheelers forge ahead at 75+ MPH in the outside lane cluelessly.

rhmahoney said:

On the 2 hr trip from QZ to Phx I jogged left twice and watched many 4-wheelers forge ahead at 75+ MPH in the outside lane cluelessly.

I've always done it too but didn't know it was the law.

That is the law in Michigan too, at least for the last few years (perhaps 10 or so)

BTW, Las Vegas had a police Sgt. killed in the line of duty a couple of days ago

I made a small ($20.00) donation to the family today

rhmahoney said:

We have always changed lanes or slowed down depending on the situation when passing any vehicle pulled off the side of the road whether or not it was a patrol car.  I guess just common courtesy. I have noted several states have adopted a similar law.

We have always done that as well.  Though most of the time on these high speed western highways with 75 mph limits we already travel 20 mph slower to save fuel and enjoy the scenes of America.

Law or not, that practice has always seemed like common sense to us.

In addition to the Arizona (and similar laws in other states) we have usually followed the trucks in moving over to the next left lane whenever we see a vehicle in the outside breakdown lane. The driver opening a door, stepping out or just deciding to merge back into traffic can be disastrous.

Like Bernie, we move over for all vehicles, not just emergency.

Kind of sad that they have to pass laws to force people to do what should be, as several here have said, common courtesy.

Don,

Thanks for the info. That requirement is the law in several states. I do it in any state when possible. If not I do slow down. It's just common sense.

Jim Dick said:
Don,

Thanks for the info. That requirement is the law in several states. I do it in any state when possible. If not I do slow down. It's just common sense.

I've always moved over too. I posted the message just to let people who might not know that it's now the law in Arizona. I didn't know about the law in other states myself. I guess there are a lot of laws in differant states that we might not know about.  :(

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I've always moved over too. I posted the message just to let people who might not know that it's now the law in Arizona. I didn't know about the law in other states myself. I guess there are a lot of laws in differant states that we might not know about.  :(

I don't remember which states have the law but I do know one posts a sign on the interstates to that effect. Again, it's just common sense to give them all the room possible. I remember a few years ago truckers in CT used to try to knock off the Trooper's hats. Several were hit and the Troopers are no longer allowed to wear them after they exit their vehicle during a stop.

Back
Top Bottom